shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting style

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I've decided on a diamond! I'll post the ASET & IS photos within the next few days. At the moment I'm trying to figure out the setting. My stone is 7.20mm wide, I'm going with a 3.6mm band, essentially half the diamond's diameter. I like the thicker metal look, but I'm not sure about the reverse taper, assuming that's what it's called. Here are some photos of my hand, and the setting, I'll be having it remade with a round stone instead. It's hard to tell, but the taper actually graduates slightly larger as it goes up, opposed to the more common narrowing taper. It's either stick with the 'reverse taper' or go for none at all, I don't know how to decide.

It's so minute of a detail, but definitely changes the aesthetic. The stone in the photo is about 8mm or so, and the band is 4mm roughly, we've scaled my setting slightly smaller, but with similar proportions. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to choose, maybe I'm missing something in my thought process. Thanks! :wavey:

_37595.jpg

_37596.jpg

_37597.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always find tapers (reverse or regular) more appealing. They just seem to have a tad more personality...not saying there is anything
wrong with the same width all the way around but tapers appeal to me. I guess that's why I tend to like cathedrals because they
usually taper up to the basket.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like cathedral settings, but common thought around here is that a thinner shank makes the diamond look larger. Therefore, you'll see the majority of people here with thinner shanks, especially near the diamond. It's really just personal preference, though. If you like a wide shank next to the diamond, that is certainly fine!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both for your replies. I'm totally on the fence at this point, I've always loved thicker bands. 3mm+, but I don't know about the reverse taper. I do like it of course, and I agree, not having the taper would make the diamond look bigger, but one is not screaming out to me more than the other. :confused:

I tried to photoshop the band to see the two side by side, it's obviously not the best visual as I suck at photoshop, but let me know what you think. The first photo I tried to make the second diamond more round, as that's what I'll have, but it also made it look smaller, and probably less desirable of the two for that reason. Second photo I couldn't alter the band without pulling at the diamond too much, so it's not the best, but that's the only real difference I'm confused about. To keep the bigger taper, or have it more of a small taper to the basket/cathedral.

_1234.png

_1235.png

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I think the issue here is that you are trying to make out how reverse tapering will look on a RB by looking at a setting with a cushion. Tapering looks very different on cushions than RBs because of the shape of the stone, square and flat edges vs all round.

I personally think that tapering, both inward and outward, compliments the look of a RB very well. On a cushion however, I am not really that big of a fan. I can tell you from personal experience that I had a RB with tapering (not reverse though) and when I upgraded to my cushion I wanted the same look in the new setting because I really liked that. But... it did nothing for my cushion and in the end (also for other reasons than the taper) I decided to change the setting for a straight band all the way round. This looks a lot better with the cushion imo. Still love the taper on the RB though.

So... go back to your jeweler and ask for CADs with a round, or perhaps ask if they can show you something they already have with a RB in reverse taper? I think you will have a hard time photoshopping this from the picture you already have.

Btw, I love thicker bands too! My band is also approx. half the width of my center stone. I love it!

//aca :wavey:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
So glad you brought this up as I was JUST thinking about it. I think I will go with the 'reverse taper' but now my question is, will that flat edge look ok with the round stone? I love that setting, but I wonder if it's complimentary?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure what you mean re flat edge... I would personally make sure to see the setting or a similar setting, preferably IRL if this is possible, before committing. See what looks best on your hand and what pleases your eyes the most. :wavey:

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So i'm probably one of the few that does like a thicker band as long as it's complimentary in width to the size of the stone. (I have a EW set marquise and my band is right around 3mm) I love the setting you posted, def a fan of the reverse taper...... but i'd definitely want to see a round in it to make sure you like the look of the flat edge band with a round before going forward.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed! I definitely will have CAD done, but I'd like to refine the details as much as possible beforehand of course. I found some photos online that may help visualize a bit more with a round stone,I like the photo, whatcha think?

_4360.jpeg

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
That style of shank looks much better, to me, with the round diamond, than with the cushion.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Garnetgirl said:
That style of shank looks much better, to me, with the round diamond, than with the cushion.

+1
Looks much better!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, I think with the cushion it almost makes it look too hard, and harsh. With the round it's bold, but softer at the same time. I like it. My guess if you were to look at that photo from a birds eye view, the setting would also be half the size of the diamond, so pretty much what I had in mind anyway, with a narrowing taper into the back of my finger.

Is there any way to add a video clip from phone?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I took the photo and changed only the prongs to give a more rounded appearance of the stone, which is obviously what I'll have. The diamond would be slightly bigger than that in the setting, so porportions are slightly off, but I don't think the flat edge setting looks bad at all with the round. If anything, it'll look even better if the porportions were there.

_4361.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results