shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Review

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
Hi All, everyone here has been so helpful in choosing a diamond, I thought I would also tap into your infinate wisdom when it came to choosing the setting. My girlfriend want's a simple pave setting in white gold. Was also thinking about knife edge prongs. The diamond is round and 1.42c. I bought my diamond from GemsNY so would prefer to go with them for my setting as well. Obviousley, there are more intrecate rings out there but for under $500 do you see anything that should make me stear clear of this one?

FL.jpg

Center stone will be the round diamond below not the blue one pictured in this example. 31141.jpg

Diamond
still.jpg

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Nice color, nice clarity!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a bit thin for long term durability. A pave band should be 2mm wide for everyday wear. You don't want stones popping out after a year or two.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She right!I didn’t look at the thickness. Is there a 2 mm you like?

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Great point, let me look.

In the meantime, do you have any comments on the craftsmanship? For example, does the pave settings look like they line-up nicely?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For pave, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

If you really want a pave setting and that's the budget, it may do fine, but it wouldn't be my personal choice.

This is 1.9 mm but the setting looks a little nicer to me.

This is 2.1 mm.

They have ones without milgrain as well.

Last edited:

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks for the recommendations @elizat I don't really have a budget just trying to save a bit of money along the way, if possible. I like the first one quite a bit. I haven't developed an eye for this yet... I see a difference but have no idea what it is lol. What would you say are the main differences between the one from GemsNY and the Petite Micropavé on Blue Nile?

Also, since I did get the diamond from GemsNY would prefer to get the ring there as well. I did find one other pave that they have. It looks like it isn't any thicker at 1.68mm but in terms of quality, is it closer to the ones on Blue Nile?

FL.jpg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking from experience, I’ve had small melee diamonds pop out and it’s not an easy fix as the prongs that hold them in are minuscule. So I’d be looking for a slightly thinker band so the claws can be more substantial.
The other issue with pave bands, especially those that go around more than half way, is that resizing the ring bigger by more than 1/2 a size can be problematic.
And I think you’re better off getting larger size melee that only go half way around, or a little less, as this is all that’s visible when wearing the ring. Not much point in my opinion having diamonds you can’t see and appreciate!

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
That's really helpful, thanks for sharing your experience. I'll try to find something that is 2mm with diamonds that only go half way down the band. Is there anything else I should keep in mind when searching for a pave setting?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The setting you found on their site looks better built than the first. Can they do it in a 2 mm band? It's more protective to the stones. It basically has a little metal wrap, than just the tiny shared prongs. The finishing looks a little nicer too.

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
I'm still looking for a thicker pave setting. In the meantime, I came across the below. Not sure how I feel about this type of designs or other rings that have more of a spiral pave but thought I would get any opinions. Thanks again for the feedback!

FL.jpg FL.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty but you should be sure she wants something like that. And, ask for claw prongs rather than the bulbous ones.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It’s pretty but you should be sure she wants something like that. And, ask for claw prongs rather than the bulbous ones.

Yes!

The swirl is a very particular design. I think it is pretty, but I don't know that I'd want that for a forever ring. Not that I have a forever ring, but that's another discussion.

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
Great points!

Was thinking the same thing... going to stick with a classic pave setting.

Definitely agree on the prongs, claw prongs for sure.

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I ended up going with the below ring. Before I get it shipped, wanted to get your opinion on the setting. Do you see any issues with the setting or see anything that should make me not go with this one? For context ,the center stone is: 1.42 carat, VS1, Ideal, I, 7.23x7.28x4.42 and it got a 1.2 on the HCA. Once again thanks so much for all your help and insight!

20201105_115908.jpg 20201105_115924.jpg

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful ! Love the prongs! Great Job!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful...just looks uber thin. Whats the mm on it?

Ozzzzzz

Rough_Rock
Awesome, thanks! It's 1.8mm I believe. I know you guy recommended to go bigger but she really likes the look and hopefully the warranty/insurance would cover any issues that may come up.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Looks lovely. Great job. I know she'll just love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results