shape
carat
color
clarity

setting question. Picture inside.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I am having a hard time picturing this. Would the circle ring near the prongs show? I am someone that really doesn''t like halos....
emembarrassed.gif
well there was one I really liked that baby posted with her garnet but most I am not a fan of. I like the split shank here but would the halo like circle show like the diamond ones? also would you set the stone in the post below in white?

settingforsaph.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It shouldn't show, unless the stones is too small.

ETA: It's a pretty setting. Is it a LOGR?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
^ ^

bluedeminstonep.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone.. is this the sapphire from precision??

Icce

Shiny_Rock
yep the one from gene. I dont have it yet as it takes time to get to Canada but Just trying to get ideas for setting. Been looking at the logr and jewel2004 and lei etc and I found that setting but never won one yet...maybe one day.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about the circle being visible, but that stone (unless it''s very different IRL) seems quite dark, and setting it in white metal would probably only make it even darker. I''d consider something yellow or two-tone for that stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the dimensions of the stone and the dimensions of the setting? If the stone is slightly larger i.e. 1mm or 2mm bigger (and it would have to be to allow for it not being a round brilliant - otherwise some of the white gold head may show at the sides) then it should be ok. Can you take a photo with the stone sitting in the setting?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds - the setting says 6 to 7mm and then 6.5mm on another part of the page. The stone is 7. I dont have the setting so I can''t put it in to take a picture.

ma re - yep it will be dark, not sure how dark yet but I seem to be drawn to the dark stones more. Maybe 2 tone. Rose gold would just look odd? I like rose gold but this doesnt seem the stone for it to me...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 10:46:14 AM
Author: Icce

Rose gold would just look odd? I like rose gold but this doesnt seem the stone for it to me...
I agree that it would be odd - RG could probably work with a different shade of blue (violetish), but this one has some green to it, so it would be really unusual.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds - the setting says 6 to 7mm and then 6.5mm on another part of the page. The stone is 7. I dont have the setting so I can''t put it in to take a picture.

ma re - yep it will be dark, not sure how dark yet but I seem to be drawn to the dark stones more. Maybe 2 tone. Rose gold would just look odd? I like rose gold but this doesnt seem the stone for it to me...

The size of the setting should be fine and I doubt whether you''ll be able to see the ring. However, you may see it when you look in profile (but you can with most settings) so nothing to worry about.

If you like dark stones then the white gold will make the stone look a very steel/ice colour. If you want a warmer look I''d go with mr ma re''s suggestion of yellow but I definitely wouldnt go the rose gold route with this one as you say.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 11:24:02 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

The size of the setting should be fine and I doubt whether you''ll be able to see the ring. However, you may see it when you look in profile (but you can with most settings) so nothing to worry about.

If you like dark stones then the white gold will make the stone look a very steel/ice colour. If you want a warmer look I''d go with mr ma re''s suggestion of yellow but I definitely wouldnt go the rose gold route with this one as you say.
Ditto. I doubt you''ll be able to see the basket unless the stone is too small and by then it probably can''t even be set in it. I am concerned about the stark contrast between a shiny white setting and a dark blue stone. I think RH would clash with the blue, unless it has some violet in it. Yellow might soften the colour a little.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I don''t have anything new to add about the basket visibility, but just want to point out one thing. I recognize this ring is from jewe2004 or one of his 4 alias, I''ve ordered a similar split shank recently but ended up returning it. Look the picture carefully for where the two shanks are joined. It is not a smooth transition and there will be a metal step up from the paved shanks to the all metal shank. It felt QUITE uncomfortable when worn on fingers! I got full refund for my ring, but it cost me $30 to send it back to China.
7.gif

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 2:30:53 PM
Author: yingh
Hi, I don''t have anything new to add about the basket visibility, but just want to point out one thing. I recognize this ring is from jewe2004 or one of his 4 alias, I''ve ordered a similar split shank recently but ended up returning it. Look the picture carefully for where the two shanks are joined. It is not a smooth transition and there will be a metal step up from the paved shanks to the all metal shank. It felt QUITE uncomfortable when worn on fingers! I got full refund for my ring, but it cost me $30 to send it back to China.
7.gif

Hmm, interesting. I have a split shank (been wearing for 2 days now) from the same seller, and mine is perfectly smooth. Wonder why some settings are better than others? Sorry you had bad luck, yingh!
15.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Rubybeth, after my experience I check each split shank designs from those eBay sellers very carefully and found it varies by design. Sometime they took extra care in carving the wax to create a smooth transition, such as your case (very pretty by the way
30.gif
). Sometime I can see that they rushed to join the two shanks. Usually you can found out from the pictures if you look for them. Just want to send out a warning.

As in this particular design, the metal step is definitely there! By metal step I meant the thickness of shank increased suddenly instead of graduated increase, therefore, leaving a metal step.

Date: 4/11/2009 2:34:00 PM
Author: rubybeth
Date: 4/11/2009 2:30:53 PM

Author: yingh

Hi, I don't have anything new to add about the basket visibility, but just want to point out one thing. I recognize this ring is from jewe2004 or one of his 4 alias, I've ordered a similar split shank recently but ended up returning it. Look the picture carefully for where the two shanks are joined. It is not a smooth transition and there will be a metal step up from the paved shanks to the all metal shank. It felt QUITE uncomfortable when worn on fingers! I got full refund for my ring, but it cost me $30 to send it back to China.
7.gif

Hmm, interesting. I have a split shank (been wearing for 2 days now) from the same seller, and mine is perfectly smooth. Wonder why some settings are better than others? Sorry you had bad luck, yingh!
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results