shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting mistake: Review for Design by Sevan in Toronto

This was our experience with Sevan in late 2018 for setting our engagement ring. This is a long overdue post because for the longest time, Sevan told us that no jewellers in Toronto could make what we want for the price we are paying for. However, 2 years later and getting consultations from different reputable jewellers in Toronto and New York (pre-pandemic), we realized our engagement ring was poorly crafted by Sevan.

We purchased an exceptional loose diamond from Martin Sheffield at USA Certed Diamonds (see my review of him from my other post) and we needed a reputable jeweller to set the diamond. We did research on social media and went to several other jewellers in Toronto including Diamondboi, Kimberfire, etc, and we eventually landed on Design by Sevan’s social media page. With 200+ reviews, 4.9/5 rating on Google, and after diligently browsing all his previous work photos, we trusted him with our engagement ring design.

After multiple consultations, there are two reasons why we disliked his service. First, he lacked interpersonal skills. During the consultations, whatever we requested, he constantly said: “yes, don’t worry about it”. We also gave him a photo of what we want, and he assured us that he can make a very similar ring. However, after we paid the deposit, things went downhill.

We received the drawing, and we suggested some changes to the measurements. He constantly criticized our suggestions in an arrogant and know-it-all attitude, which made us felt uncomfortable. Additionally, we had difficulty understanding him because of his language skills, thus we preferred emailing, but he kept asking us to call him. Luckily, sometimes his wife will be in the office to elaborate on our concerns. He also started making the ring without showing us a wax casting, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Second, he did not fulfil his promises. When the ring was finished, he asked me to bring my loose diamond so he can set it and the whole process took less than 15 minutes. After it was done, I was anticipating a sleek Ferrari but what I saw was a heavy-duty truck. I told him my slight concerns and he pulled me aside and said something along the lines of “women are never happy”. It made me uncomfortable because he is technically talking about my soon-to-be fiancée. Nonetheless, I proposed a few days later and my girlfriend said “yes”, but after she had a better view of the ring, she was very disappointed at the craftmanship. We quickly emailed Sevan and asked him to fix the ring to our liking. After the consultation, we agreed that he will fix it for a nominal fee. Half a year later, at least 50 emails and text messages back and forth and different excuses from Sevan that he is either out of the country or his brother is out of the country or his nephew is sick and then his brother has a tooth problem, he became unresponsive and we gave up.

Fast forward to now, we showed our engagement ring to different jewellers and all of them said that the ring was rushed and poorly polished, it looks like it came from an existing mould with minimal customization or design, and the platinum looked very dull. They also agreed that it looks unfeminine because the ring looked chunky with a lot of metal showing. Nonetheless, our diamond looked a lot smaller because all we saw was metal.

I do give credit for Sevan for finishing our engagement ring in two weeks so I could propose on time. Also, with the chunky metal, we got credit for our platinum when we finally had a chance to reset our ring with another jeweller for the same price as Sevan - it is absolutely gorgeous now.

There is a Google review on Sevan 9 months ago by Matt N. He shared the same issues as us. We hope no one will experience what we went through.

I attached a photo of how the inside of the setting looked. It didn't look smooth or polished, and Sevan said nothing could be done.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 5.16.28 PM.jpeg

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium

It seemed that they have A+ rating with BBB. If you file a complaint with BBB, BBB will get in touch with them, they will take your complaints/issues more seriously.

Designbysevan

Rough_Rock
Trade
This was our experience with Sevan in late 2018 for setting our engagement ring. This is a long overdue post because for the longest time, Sevan told us that no jewellers in Toronto could make what we want for the price we are paying for. However, 2 years later and getting consultations from different reputable jewellers in Toronto and New York (pre-pandemic), we realized our engagement ring was poorly crafted by Sevan.

We purchased an exceptional loose diamond from Martin Sheffield at USA Certed Diamonds (see my review of him from my other post) and we needed a reputable jeweller to set the diamond. We did research on social media and went to several other jewellers in Toronto including Diamondboi, Kimberfire, etc, and we eventually landed on Design by Sevan’s social media page. With 200+ reviews, 4.9/5 rating on Google, and after diligently browsing all his previous work photos, we trusted him with our engagement ring design.

After multiple consultations, there are two reasons why we disliked his service. First, he lacked interpersonal skills. During the consultations, whatever we requested, he constantly said: “yes, don’t worry about it”. We also gave him a photo of what we want, and he assured us that he can make a very similar ring. However, after we paid the deposit, things went downhill.

We received the drawing, and we suggested some changes to the measurements. He constantly criticized our suggestions in an arrogant and know-it-all attitude, which made us felt uncomfortable. Additionally, we had difficulty understanding him because of his language skills, thus we preferred emailing, but he kept asking us to call him. Luckily, sometimes his wife will be in the office to elaborate on our concerns. He also started making the ring without showing us a wax casting, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Second, he did not fulfil his promises. When the ring was finished, he asked me to bring my loose diamond so he can set it and the whole process took less than 15 minutes. After it was done, I was anticipating a sleek Ferrari but what I saw was a heavy-duty truck. I told him my slight concerns and he pulled me aside and said something along the lines of “women are never happy”. It made me uncomfortable because he is technically talking about my soon-to-be fiancée. Nonetheless, I proposed a few days later and my girlfriend said “yes”, but after she had a better view of the ring, she was very disappointed at the craftmanship. We quickly emailed Sevan and asked him to fix the ring to our liking. After the consultation, we agreed that he will fix it for a nominal fee. Half a year later, at least 50 emails and text messages back and forth and different excuses from Sevan that he is either out of the country or his brother is out of the country or his nephew is sick and then his brother has a tooth problem, he became unresponsive and we gave up.

Fast forward to now, we showed our engagement ring to different jewellers and all of them said that the ring was rushed and poorly polished, it looks like it came from an existing mould with minimal customization or design, and the platinum looked very dull. They also agreed that it looks unfeminine because the ring looked chunky with a lot of metal showing. Nonetheless, our diamond looked a lot smaller because all we saw was metal.

I do give credit for Sevan for finishing our engagement ring in two weeks so I could propose on time. Also, with the chunky metal, we got credit for our platinum when we finally had a chance to reset our ring with another jeweller for the same price as Sevan - it is absolutely gorgeous now.

There is a Google review on Sevan 9 months ago by Matt N. He shared the same issues as us. We hope no one will experience what we went through.

I attached a photo of how the inside of the setting looked. It didn't look smooth or polished, and Sevan said nothing could be done.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 5.16.28 PM.jpeg

Thank you for your feedback and review over a year later. Although I respect your feedback of your experience what I don’t understand is how you feel the ring was not up to your standards and chunky when you gave me complete measurements of the ring and it was made completely based on those numbers. When you picked up the revised ring you were very happy with it and stating “my finance and I really like the
height of the setting and the baguettes are gorgeous. Superb craftsmanship!”
Yes after your proposal you did return again as your finance wanted the ring 100% replica of a ring you saw in a NY store. I explained this was impossible unless I had the ring to work with.
The pic you have attached is not how I gave the ring to you. The ring in the pic already has the diamonds removed therefore has been damaged during this process.
I also do apologize my English is not Superb as I am an Immigrant and therefore may have caused you to misinterpret my comments. At least I was honest and straightforward with you throughout the process. I delivered the ring to you within your tight deadline and based on the measurements you provided me as you were very specific.
Thanks again for the feedback 20201202_094759.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results