shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting fee?

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
How common is a setting fee. I worked with a jeweler in NY; he didnt charge one.
I spoke to another with a high quality sapphire I purchased. They want a $200-800 setting fee depending on the stone. Is this industry standard? I cant imagine paying $800 plus the setting just for the setting of the stone?
Also talked with another jeweler on a mokume band; he charges a setting fee whether you get the stone from him or not?

amoline

Shiny_Rock
A setting fee is very common. If the value of the stone is not something that the jeweler wants to assume risk for, they will typically just refuse to do the work - also fine.

$200-$800 is beyond ridiculous for a single stone setting. At local jewelers here, it's about $50 to set a stone (possibly higher if they are willing to set a stone you didn't source from them). Most jewelers will do this.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t buy the gem or the setting from a jeweller, you should expect to pay a setting fee. Normally it’s around $100.
Here in Australia it’s “all care taken but no responsibility accepted” if they gem gets chipped during setting. And that’s often a risk with gems like tanzanite, opals and certain shape gems.
Perhaps the higher pricing is including insurance coverage lest the worst happens? With an expensive gem, insurance won’t be cheap.
Perhaps they don’t want your business?

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Green lake jewelers

I love their stuff very unique
I was told they frequently work with others stones
No big deal it seemed

when I signed up to talk with a designer that’s when they let me know the setting fee is $200-800 and that seemed super high!!! They said it “depends on the stone” so can’t give an assessment

I sent them the Gia report of my stone hoping for a more detailed estimate but that just seemed ridiculous.... and it wasn’t bc of my stone that was the price they gave before knowing what I have

for a separate ring the seller charges a setting fee for stones they buy and sell me? This also seemed odd
The fee was more if I buy my own stones but minimally more
I think like $60 if they do it with their stones or $100 mine
This was a small mokume maker

Last edited:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
So what’s a reasonable price to set a $3900 sapphire

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as already mentioned in this thread, there is no "reasonable" price - the stone-setting fee will range depending on geography, vendor, stone type/size/shape/value, intricacy of setting, client history with vendor, etc.

If you think Green Lake's stone-setting fee is unreasonable, choose another vendor.

FWIW I will say that Green Lake's pricing put me off ever using them myself, even though I do believe they do beautiful work and that they stand by their work.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two “perfectionist” benches locally. One charged $100, which included making the prongs more delicate, and the other bench charged $150 for simply putting a diamond back in its original undamaged setting.

I hope I am not stepping on any toes, so please forgive in advance, but while I like Green Lake’s work, I find it less refined than some other benches mentioned on PS and also they seem expensive in general for what you get.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Green lake just confirmed they want $500 to set the GIA sapphire I sent and can confirm once they actually see the stone. That's a hard no. I will insure the stone and have it set with the other jeweler I used in the past in NY.
do any of you have a jeweler you recommend? I saw some on the links in the colored gemstone forum. none were my style.

jso2609

Rough_Rock
How common is a setting fee. I worked with a jeweler in NY; he didnt charge one.
I spoke to another with a high quality sapphire I purchased. They want a $200-800 setting fee depending on the stone. Is this industry standard? I cant imagine paying $800 plus the setting just for the setting of the stone?
Also talked with another jeweler on a mokume band; he charges a setting fee whether you get the stone from him or not?

Hi Bonsai,

Could you please share which jewelry you worked with in NY to reset your piece? I'm looking to reset a 0.5ct pendant and would appreciate any experience/advice.

Thanks in advance~

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
this thread is old but researching this; the implication based on some of the above comments is that the setting fee covers any damage that might be done to the stone - do I have that right?? I didn't realize this.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
MReader Yes. However I have insurance on the stone. And I felt like if its to cover "possible" damage it should be refunded if need theres no damage. B/c in that case its working like an insurance policy.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bonsai,

Could you please share which jewelry you worked with in NY to reset your piece? I'm looking to reset a 0.5ct pendant and would appreciate any experience/advice.

Thanks in advance~

C13031_Malone (1 of 2).jpg
Sorry I thought you asked for the piece now I realize I read wrong. anyway theres a pic its DJOriginals.com
Great work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results