shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need help!
1.gif

I am getting closer to being able to get my ring! I have about a month to go and I am really getting stressed about what to do.

My total budget is $6300. I would like to get the biggest diamond I can so the one I have my eye on is 1.22 J SI-1. (its a RB).

Obviously I may not get that one as I realise it could sell in the meantime. I would look for something similar though.

My problem is I can''t find a setting that I love. I see ones that I like, but nothing that blows me away. If I get the larger diamond it means I don''t have much for the setting. I could stretch to about $1000 which I know isn''t a lot. I prefer plain platinum settings but nothing is grabbing me.

Can anyone help me? You know I am always grateful!
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, why don't you post pictures or link to some that you like so we can get a sense of the styles that appeal to you. Then I'm sure there will be no lack of suggestions coming your way!
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol! That would help I guess!!
9.gif

http://store.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry/view/2776/1013/

http://www.michaelcfina.com/ic/mcfina/sections/wedding_engagement_rings/wedding_engagement/a_jaffe/:product/sku/PL051900000006.html?block=1

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Shared-Prong_1058.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Platinum-Cathedral-Setting_692.htm

I think the last one is probably what I will end up with as the others are out of my price range. I just worry I won''t like it as its really plain. I know I said I like plain but thats quite a wide one and I will worry it might look bad once it gets the ''platinum patina'' thingy....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Edited: Nevermind that one it only comes in 14K
I would take a look at the Vatche Royal Crown Plat solitare. It's around 1100 I believe.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely setting
1.gif

Does anyone know if I can have the setting shipped directly to WF? Thats assuming that WF would do the setting for me. I would be buying the diamond from there.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:29:34 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
It is a lovely setting
1.gif

Does anyone know if I can have the setting shipped directly to WF? Thats assuming that WF would do the setting for me. I would be buying the diamond from there.
Yes Maise, I''m pretty sure it can be shipped there.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Ellen.
1.gif

I wonder about whether I should pay more for the setting..... I could upgrade it later but it would be easier to do it all in one go. I went to sleep thinking about settings and woke up thinking about them too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:40:21 PM
Thank you Ellen.
1.gif

I wonder about whether I should pay more for the setting..... I could upgrade it later but it would be easier to do it all in one go. I went to sleep thinking about settings and woke up thinking about them too!
If you can swing it, yes, the best scenario is all at once. Just don''t rush it, you need to be completely happy with it....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the one I would prefer to get is the A Jaffe one - the plain not the diamond one. Its $1750 so its a bit more than I hoped to pay. I need to talk it through with Gary. I know he wants to buy other stuff for the house but he would probably let me. I don''t want to be selfish though. He already upped my budget from $4000 to over $6000.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this one too but I don''t know how much it is. Its the engraved one.... Thats if I manage to post a picture!

shelleypic1.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:46:37 PM
I think the one I would prefer to get is the A Jaffe one - the plain not the diamond one. Its $1750 so its a bit more than I hoped to pay. I need to talk it through with Gary. I know he wants to buy other stuff for the house but he would probably let me. I don''t want to be selfish though. He already upped my budget from $4000 to over $6000.
Aw, what a sweetie!

Maise, have you thought about having WF make you one?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisiebelle, If you love that a jaffe one, you might want to also consider looking at Pearlmans for your stone. although he doesn''t list his inventory like the other big vendors here, he''s knows how to pick great diamonds and can also call in anything you''d want (assuming the stone isn''t already owned by another vendor). I purchased my stone from there and am in the process of choosing a setting too so I know how hard it is. Many times you can negotiate the price if you purchase both stone and setting from the same place, at least it never hurts to ask
31.gif
. I''d at least let him know your budget and what your looking for and see what he can come up with.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:53:23 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/7/2007 5:46:37 PM
Aw, what a sweetie!

Maise, have you thought about having WF make you one?
He is a sweetie!
1.gif

Would it be cheaper to get WF to make a similar ring? I have no idea how much custom made stuff is. If they could do it I would be really pleased!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:54:17 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Maisiebelle, If you love that a jaffe one, you might want to also consider looking at Pearlmans for your stone. although he doesn''t list his inventory like the other big vendors here, he''s knows how to pick great diamonds and can also call in anything you''d want (assuming the stone isn''t already owned by another vendor). I purchased my stone from there and am in the process of choosing a setting too so I know how hard it is. Many times you can negotiate the price if you purchase both stone and setting from the same place, at least it never hurts to ask
31.gif
. I''d at least let him know your budget and what your looking for and see what he can come up with.
It is hard to choose isn''t it. There are so many lovely settings around and most of them are out of my price range. In a couple of years we could pay more out but for now I don''t want to push my luck lol....

Thank you for the advice - Its very much appreciated.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, if you go with a designer setting, you should send the stone to the vendor who sells the setting because many designers want the stone sent to them to set. Then, if you want, the ring can be sent back to the diamond vendor or to an appraiser to check it out and make sure everything is okay. That said, I''d not worry a bit with sending a stone to Bill Pearlman to have set.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 5:56:59 PM

He is a sweetie!
1.gif

Would it be cheaper to get WF to make a similar ring? I have no idea how much custom made stuff is. If they could do it I would be really pleased!!
Maise, I would "think" it would be, because you''re not paying for a designer name. If I were you, I''d shoot WF an email with a pic of close to what you want and just ask them to give you a close guesstimate.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good plan Ellen! I shall do that today.
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
sometimes custom is surprisingly reasonable but I think if you 100% love an already made setting it is worth alittle more to be sure you are getting everything how you want it. You''ll probably save some money on asprins. Can you try on these rings in real life? Seeing them on your hand IRL makes all the difference.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 1:33:13 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
sometimes custom is surprisingly reasonable but I think if you 100% love an already made setting it is worth alittle more to be sure you are getting everything how you want it. You''ll probably save some money on asprins. Can you try on these rings in real life? Seeing them on your hand IRL makes all the difference.
I strongly second this. It really does make a huge difference to see the rings on your hand. Many times I loved rings I saw on PS, but when I tried similar ones on at the store, they didn''t look good on me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
sometimes custom is surprisingly reasonable but I think if you 100% love an already made setting it is worth alittle more to be sure you are getting everything how you want it.

I agree 100%..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would agree, on more elaborate pieces, but the one she picked out is rather simple. Do you still think it''s worth it on simpler settings?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 2:21:39 PM
Author: Ellen

I would agree, on more elaborate pieces, but the one she picked out is rather simple. Do you still think it''s worth it on simpler settings?

For me I guess it would come down to the actual price difference or savings and whether or not I''d be happy with a *close* replica. I''m all for custom when modifications are wanted but custom is still custom and probably isn''t going to be exact. If an exact setting is wanted and the price isn''t some crazy insane designer price then I just support buying the real deal.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately for me I live in the UK so I can''t try on any of the rings I like
7.gif

I am also getting a bit nervous about getting my ring after hearing of other peoples experiences lately. I am worried that being so far away is going to cause problems if my ring isn''t right when its delivered.

I was so excited up till now - its all gone a bit flat for me. I wish I had someone to go and shop for me!

Maisie

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
They don''t carry any jewelry lines that are similar? I just know when I went with diamondseeker to look at solitares, not all solitares are created equal. You might decide something looks pretty in a picture but really isn''t nice on your hand.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also if you do like engraving I would be careful and get a designer or through a B&M you really like and trust. Some engraving is eleglant and subtle some is thicker/heavier. It is really important you know what you want. I can''t believe there are no high end jewelry stores around you that you can see samples (even if you buy from the states).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I am so excited for you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results