shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Advice?

FarmPal

Rough_Rock
So I found a setting I liked from Bluenile, but bought a diamond from Whiteflash thinking that I could mix and match them, but apparently Bluenile doesn't sell the setting by itself.. what can I do now?

My alternatives seem to be:
1) Custom order a setting from WF at the cost of an extra ~$450
2) Buy the Bluenile setting with their cheapest diamond (~$350 for their absolute smallest, or $450 if they make me buy a 0.35 ct) and swap the diamonds (would this even be possible, to swap a 0.3 ct with a 0.8 ct? additional costs?)
3) Look for another setting elsewhere, but I can't tell which websites will let me just buy the setting. Any suggestions?

Advice please?? :(

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you post a picture or give a link to the Bluenile setting? Lots of vendors will sell you just the setting so we might be able to help you find something very similar. It probably wouldn't work to buy a setting with a small diamond and try to use it for your larger diamond and depending on the design may cost more if it even can be done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also like to see the setting. I'd get one from WF if at all possible.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, my thought is - if it will cost you 350-450 to buy a cheap diamond from BN then you might as well spend that money an the custom WF setting.

Also you would need to make sure that the setting from BN can accommodate a .8 if you are buying it set with a .4 ct stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
post a picture of the setting-we can probably help you find a similar one!

FarmPal

Rough_Rock
Where is everyone looking for these settings btw?
Some things I really liked about this setting:
- Elevated side diamonds that allow me to see the side as well as the top
- Wanted ~6-8 side diamonds, not too many as I preferred to cover less than half the entire ring

Compared to the WF setting (http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-shared-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-1009.htm), you can see more of the little diamonds from the side view, as opposed to just the top edge.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost all US jewelers have an account on these 2 setting company as they are the biggest suppliers of stock settings in the US, just ask them to get it for you.

FarmPal

Rough_Rock
Local or online? Is the price difference as big as it is for diamonds?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends. Where is the stone now? If it is with you, I would go local, simpler, no shipping charge. If still with WF, then ask WF to get it for you.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have WF make you something over ordering a stuller ring. WF does wonderful custom work. There are similar settings out there already made but would probably end up costing more than just going with WF.

FarmPal

Rough_Rock

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the original setting you like from bluenile is single prong which is why you don't see as much metal. Ritani and Memoire both make very high quality single prong settings but they are not inexpensive. Ritani is a full eternity though and may be able to customize it to fewer diamonds to lower the cost. It's also priced in platinum and WG would probably be cheaper. I like the head on the Ritani a lot better than the jamesallen settings too...

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/ritani-jewelry/rings/14QQ1/

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do also want to caution you about the exposed girdles of the diamonds in the some of the eternity style settings. They will eat away at a band that is worn next to it, if you are planning to have a wedding band.

FarmPal

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation. This one also looks to hide the side diamonds more than I'd like though.
Do single pronged settings for side diamonds risk being knocked off? Even though I like it more, it seems to be more expensive than the solid settings I've been seeing =(

About the side diamond girdles, wouldn't they be exposed in all the cases? Also, how well do these styles fit against the wedding band? I never considered it before, but it'd be nice if they sit flush against each other.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results