carat
color
clarity

Sending Jewelry to US - taxes & duty

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

I have a ring that I want to ship to my sister in the US. I live in the UK. I'm been looking, but can't seem to find any easily readable information on what the import duty and taxes that she'd have to pay once it arrived in the US. It's worth about $300 and is gold.

Does anyone know what it would cost? Thanks!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Addy, as far as I know, there won't be anything to pay at that end. I ship things to my cousins in the US fairly regularly and I don't think they're subject to the same taxes and restrictions on imports as we are. To be 100% sure, HMRC should be able to give you a definitive answer (as a courtesy, since it isn't their jurisdiction, but they should know.)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The only issue you may have is finding a shipper. As far as I know, there are no taxes or duty to pay (unlike here :(sad )

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the other posters, it is soooo much easier to ship to the U.S. than the other way around! I don't think she'll pay any duties.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Many states have a use tax which is an alternate form of sales tax or duties on goods bought out of state or country. The problem with use tax is that it is up to the consumer to report their purchases. Something which most do not do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results