shape
carat
color
clarity

Semi tension setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luish

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I do not like settings with prongs, actually i like a lot "tension settings", but I have read about and most people say tension setting are not that safe and resizing is not usually possible. So I am looking for a semi tension setting. Do you know a web site for semi tension settings? So I could get some images.

Thanks!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard the term "semi tension" before, but you are correct in that besides adding in sizing beads there isn''t much you can do to re-size a tension ring.

Do you mean rings like this that look like they are tension set, but are actually bezel set?
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=1823&action=show_detail

I friend has that setting above and it''s beautiful in person.

DentD

Rough_Rock
Mmmm, I love those bezel fakey tension settings. The best of both worlds, IMO!
3.gif

Good luck finding more like that, OP. I had the dickens of a time finding settings like that online; finally I ended up going to a local jeweler to have a custom setting done.

ajourklaus

Rough_Rock
Hi Luis,

I understand what you mean. Although absolutely beautiful I agree with the problems of tension rings. I have repaired and modified a many of them in my carrier.

A nice solution is to create a small elegant bridge under the stone to stabilize the ring. From the top the look is almost identical to a tension set ring. With this method we do not have to put the enormous pressure on the stone as with 100% tension.
Also you are more flexible in the design. You do not have to make the ring as thick at 3 and 9 o''clock which many customers perceive as uncomfortable.

A good jeweler should be able to help you with this idea.

Good luck!

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Someone had a thread recently with a photoshop of exactly what you''re saying, although I can''t seem to find it right now...

luish

Rough_Rock
Thank you Klaus,

One question, with that bar (bridge) you said under the stone, is resizing possible?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - within reason - since the ring is no longer relying on metal tension (the arch of the shank acting as a spring) to hold the stone. It becomes a "normal" ring where the stone appears to float.

luish

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

Just to know when speaking with a local jeweler, Should the diamond touch the "bridge"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results