shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling your diamonds to make ends meet - would you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This is sort of a touch on Elmorton''s "writing on the wall" thread. I posted there a moment ago and thought I''d ask this.

If you had to, would you sell your diamonds to get things you needed/pay bills?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
If I had to. In a heart beat.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''d start by selling my DH''s things first...
31.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 5:12:50 PM
Author: tlh
I''d start by selling my DH''s things first...
31.gif

LOL nice!
Now if only my DH had anything expensive...lol.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Yep. If it came to that. Hopefully I''d be able to cut other things and avoid that.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I'd sell mostly everything. Not my eng. ring, though. . .I'd probably become a panhandler before resorting to selling that.
2.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
In some alternate reality, if it ever came to that or the well being of my family -- no problem! It would be really sad, though! Sometimes I see pawn shops in the city and it makes me so sad to see e-rings and wedding bands in the window.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would if I had to. I have a few small pieces, nothing of real value. What I might get for all of them would barely cover our rent for a month so I''d wait until I had no other options.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes if it came down to it I would. But would never sell my ering.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sell other pieces that I have, but not my e-ring or my late MIL''s diamond. As sad as it would make me, I would sell my anniversary ring if it was to feed/provide for my kids.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently down to just my wedding band. Stuff happens. Even if you think you''d never sell your e-ring, well, if that was the only way...
39.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would in a heartbeat if I needed to for my family.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 5:44:49 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I'm currently down to just my wedding band. Stuff happens. Even if you think you'd never sell your e-ring, well, if that was the only way...
39.gif
I am so sorry; I pray things turn around soon and I would have done the same. You are a sweet wife for doing that, huge hugs (((()))))

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 5:51:58 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/1/2009 5:44:49 PM
I''m currently down to just my wedding band. Stuff happens. Even if you think you''d never sell your e-ring, well, if that was the only way...
39.gif
I am so sorry; I pray things turn around soon and I would have done the same. You are a sweet wife for doing that, huge hugs (((()))))
Ditto. You do what you have to do, am so sorry MonkeyPie. BIG HUGS!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only diamonds I have are from my mom. A tiny chip from her, and her ering. I don''t think I could part with them. I would probably pan handle first as well.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Sure, they are just material objects. And even though I would hate to part with it, even my wedding band if need be. That said, I would look at selling other things of value first that are also luxury items.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Monkey, sorry to hear about your problems.

If we had to make ends meet due to job losses, of course I would sell my diamonds. I would sell our wedding bands too.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
So long as it was for my well being or that of my family I would. Then again... I do not have too many pieces that are of sentimental value.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
NOPE!!
I'd sell my body on the streets first! HA!
17.gif

Seriously now...I'd start liquidating assets first.

Sorry about your situation Monkey, they are just "things"...just don't sell your camera..you're a GREAT photographer!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Whenever I bought a piece I bought it knowing I would never sell it to "make ends meet". I actually made that decision each time I bought a piece. Many of them are substantial.

My thinking is this: If I am in such deep poo-poo that I need to conduct a fire sale on my pieces [and get maybe 20 - 50% of what I paid for them], then selling them will not solve the problem. You will run out of the money for which you sell the pieces - so, if you value them, you may as well keep them. The problem can only be solved by making more money.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Nope. If things were bad enough that I needed to pawn my belongings to make ends meet, I doubt the money I would get for pawning my jewels would even make a dent. Besides... I''d rather be poor and at least be able to gaze at my sparklies that not poor with no sparklies!!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I would if I needed to but after having sold an ering once, I know that the amount you get is pretty much robbery so I would certainly hate to do it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Of course.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 7:21:05 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Whenever I bought a piece I bought it knowing I would never sell it to ''make ends meet''. I actually made that decision each time I bought a piece. Many of them are substantial.

My thinking is this: If I am in such deep poo-poo that I need to conduct a fire sale on my pieces [and get maybe 20 - 50% of what I paid for them], then selling them will not solve the problem. You will run out of the money for which you sell the pieces - so, if you value them, you may as well keep them. The problem can only be solved by making more money.

It was actually a medical emergency, not just being stupid with my money. And if I could have gone out and made a million dollars just because I had a sudden bill, well, I would have certainly done that. "Making more money" would not have helped me at this time.

FWIW, I was able to settle the whole ordeal with that I got from the diamonds. I kept the setting in case we wanted to put something else in it. I''ve been browsing for a "replacement" ring or stone and while it''s fun, I find that the novelty has worn off a bit after all of this. At least, like Beau said, I didn''t have to sell my cameras! Thankfully I was already in a process of buying the D200 before all of this went down or I would have had to pass on it as it was.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Well sweetie, it sounds like you used your head and did what you should have done. You handled it well and got it solved.

Now, every cloud has it''s silver lining and like you said, it gives you a chance at finding another wonderful gem. Life is long and there will be many opportunities. (I''m old and can say that with conviction!)

Hugs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. It would be too much of a financial loss for what the resale value is.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monkey, I really hope 2009 is *your* year and things turn around!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are other assets we would sell (like stocks, etc.) before we''d get to selling my jewelry. But I guess if you get to the point you have nothing else to sell, you''d do it. I never really considered that it would be a possibility, but that is a good reason to buy from Good Old Gold since they have a lifetime buy-back offer of 75% of the original price, which is better than you can ever do selling on your own.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:03:15 PM

Date: 2/1/2009 7:21:05 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Whenever I bought a piece I bought it knowing I would never sell it to ''make ends meet''. I actually made that decision each time I bought a piece. Many of them are substantial.

It was actually a medical emergency, not just being stupid with my money. And if I could have gone out and made a million dollars just because I had a sudden bill, well, I would have certainly done that. ''Making more money'' would not have helped me at this time.

FWIW, I was able to settle the whole ordeal with that I got from the diamonds. I kept the setting in case we wanted to put something else in it. I''ve been browsing for a ''replacement'' ring or stone and while it''s fun, I find that the novelty has worn off a bit after all of this. At least, like Beau said, I didn''t have to sell my cameras! Thankfully I was already in a process of buying the D200 before all of this went down or I would have had to pass on it as it was.
MonkeyPie, so sorry to hear that you had a medical emergency--I hope everything is okay now...

I''m extraordinarily attached to my e-ring and if I (or my family) fell on very hard financial times and selling my e-ring could keep us afloat financially, I''d do it in a heartbeat. Yes, it means the world to me, but it''s a diamond. It''s a material thing. Not that important in the long run.

I''m glad you kept the setting. And I''m really glad that selling the diamonds meant you could settle everything without becoming more stressed.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Monkey~So sorry for what you''re going through! Hope things get better!

I would absolutely sell my diamonds if my family needed me to.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results