shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling My Diamond- Help!

Mr_AC

Rough_Rock
Ok so heres the deal: I'm planning on proposing to my gf soon and am currently in the process of choosing a ring. I already have a diamond I inherited but amongst other things, its too big for my gf's taste. Here are the specs:

1.77 carat
H color
VS1 clarity
GIA excellent cut
7.82-7.83x4.85

I'd like to sell it in order to buy a smaller but better quality diamond but I have no idea where to start. I've already had it appraised at $23000. How close to this price would I get for selling it? Ideally I'd like to sell it to the same place where I buy the new diamond but I understand not everywhere will 'trade' diamonds so to speak. Can anyone reccommend a good place to start or places that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

AC

slg47

Ideal_Rock
some places will take a trade in. you could also sell it on consignment.

online diamond search gives prices ranging from 18-22k for GIA Ex, H VS1, 1.75-1.79 ct. You may be able to get 1/2 of that?

what are you looking for? if you tell us what you are looking for we can give better suggestions of places that might suit your needs.

ETA this article may help
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/consumer%E2%80%99s_guide_reselling_diamonds

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Mr_AC|1318952285|3042725 said:
Ok so heres the deal: I'm planning on proposing to my gf soon and am currently in the process of choosing a ring. I already have a diamond I inherited but amongst other things, its too big for my gf's taste. Here are the specs:

1.77 carat
H color
VS1 clarity
GIA excellent cut
7.82-7.83x4.85

I'd like to sell it in order to buy a smaller but better quality diamond but I have no idea where to start. I've already had it appraised at $23000. How close to this price would I get for selling it? Ideally I'd like to sell it to the same place where I buy the new diamond but I understand not everywhere will 'trade' diamonds so to speak. Can anyone reccommend a good place to start or places that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

AC

It might just be easier to recut it to a smaller size that your gf will like then selilng this diamond and buying a new one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking the same as Sarah. H VS1 is very high quality and you could have it recut to improve it's cut even more. I had a family diamond recut by Brian Gavin and it turned out beautifully. You probably wouldn't lose much weight but it is really a shame to sell a family stone at wholesale and then buy a new smaller stone at retail.

What size diamond does she want?

Mr_AC

Rough_Rock
My uncle was a jeweller and he left me the diamond when he died. I am sad to sell it as he cut it himself and it is a gorgeous stone. However, unnfortunately I was in a relationship a few years ago where I proposed with this particular diamond. She said no; reason being that she had been unfaithful for several months prior. Hence I don't want to give the same diamond to my fantastic and very patient(five years! had to be sure this time) girlfriend. It helps that she doesn't care much for huge rocks!

I'm looking for a diamond of about 1-1.2 ct of a better cut, color and clarity than the one I have. I have my eye on a Brian Gavin setting. I may look into having it recut if selling it doesn't work out

Thanks for the help so far

AC

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand. Since you are interested in Brian Gavin, I would contact him and tell him what you want. He might give you credit on the diamond for a new one and recut it himself. I think it is often to your advantage to try to do the whole deal with one vendor. If that doesn't work, you could always list it on ebay or Diamond Bistro and then also list it on the Pre-Loved PS Jewels part of this forum. The clientele here generally will expect excellent/ideal cut, a GIA or AGS lab report and pictures. They may ask that you send it to a know appraiser such as Neil Beaty to verify the stone, as well. After that, I'd recommend trying to consign with Good Old Gold or JBEG.

For what it's worth, I'd aim for the 1.2 because diamonds are known to shrink over time. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results