shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling Engagement Ring 8ct tw

Hollywould

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I am selling my engagement ring which comes with two bands or perhaps just the center stone...
The problem is, I keep getting jewelers and dealers that want it for wholesale but I'd like to sell it to a private party where I get a little more and they pay substantially less than to a jeweler. Easier said then done ....

Here are the specs:

Center Stone: CC Rectangle Brilliant

Measure.: 10.31 x 9.29 x 6.27 mm

AGS Cert# 0006667401

Weight: 5.058 ct

Depth: 67.5%

Table: 71%

Girdle: Thin

Culet: Pointed

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Color: H

Clarity: SI1

Fluorescence: Negligable

Platinum Mount size 4.5

2 under interlocking bands with 472 micro pave diamonds 3.39 ct vs/g

Can someone please advise what a fair price would be 1) for the whole ring and 2) just for the center stone if I want to sell to a PRIVATE PARTY? Not at all desperate or in a hurry but want to have a good solid number in my head as the fair goal...

Thanks so much in advance for your help, opinions, and knowledge...

my_ring_with_bands_on_velvet.jpg

my_ring_holding_from_top.jpg

my_ring_on_finger_top.jpg

95viper

Rough_Rock
Wow. I would love to know what wholesale price this diamond is.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reach out to these vendors about consigning the stone or the ring.

Goodoldgold.com
jewelsbygrace
and loveaffairofdiamonds

They all do consignments but with a stone that size I would recommend goodoldgold first

Hollywould

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply vintagelover229. I really appreciate the info!

Hollywould

Rough_Rock
Well I now been told by 2 dealers in NY, 2 in Dallas, and 1 in LA that have no vested interest in the stone that wholesale is 50k... My "not so nice" ex got taken to the cleaners and paid $108k for the whole ring set but hey... he deserved it :angryfire:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hollywould|1447210822|3948061 said:
Well I now been told by 2 dealers in NY, 2 in Dallas, and 1 in LA that have no vested interest in the stone that wholesale is 50k... My "not so nice" ex got taken to the cleaners and paid $108k for the whole ring set but hey... he deserved it :angryfire:

That sounds like an appropriate price that he paid. I just searched 5 ct H SI1 stones on JA site and they're all over 6 figures.
The jewelers offering you 50K is also appropriate. They don't want to pay you more what they would pay to stock something of that high value, that may sit there for a long time in their store.

Why don't you consign it?

Hollywould

Rough_Rock
Hi Madelise,

I was seriously considering it but if they take 30-40% (am I correct with these numbers?) wouldn't it be the same as selling it wholesale?

I know I'll get more but I thought they take a huge cut....

Do you have an opinion about Ebay?

I have successfully used Craigslist in the past and sold a $90k round brilliant without issue but the people I have come across right now are inserting their jeweler in the mix and in two separate meetings, the jewelers told the potential buyers that the AGS cert. means it probably has 2 colors off and at least one clarity were it sent to GIA... I have read all of the topics here on that subject and for the most part, that does not seem to be the consensus (other than perhaps a slightly lower color).

Besides, they also could be using that as a tactic for their own reasons...

I'd love to hear your additional thoughts...

:) Holly

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about %s. I just know there's really no such thing as "whole sale".

No, I don't have a big opinion about eBay. I'm glad to hear you've had a nice experience with craigslist on a large ticket item. But the truth is, most people can't afford that price, even at the price jewelers are quoting you. So you have a very small population of people who can A) afford it, and B) are interested. Why take a chance and narrow that population down more into those who are willing to take a risk buying from someone they don't know? Why take a risk yourself, at sending it to someone you don't know? I think for a few thousand dollars, I'd be okay, but anything more than $5-6k, I'd want to know my buyer/seller. That's why I suggested consigning. The consigners have a huge market of followers, so you'll get more exposure. And, you know you'll be protected. No phony business.

As for the interested parties involving jewelers... Does that surprise you? I wouldn't spend that kind of $$ w/o getting reassurance, especially from a private party seller who has no return policy or whatnot. AGS does occasionally grade softer by a smidge. It doesn't mean they always do. But it does mean that your private buyers don't know. AGS is well known and very respected, but usually for cut quality grading, not necessarily for the other characteristics. Why not lay this part to rest by sending your stone to GIA to get graded by them? It doesn't cost too much in comparison to the cost of your ring, and I believe it will help you sell your ring.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read the consignment FAQ on jewels by grace's site http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/consignment and she says she requires all diamonds over 1 ct to have a GIA certificate because it helps it sell. I think that's very suggestive for you to do that, regardless of selling it yourself or consigning with anyone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sold things with Grace and the amount if you read her sight is 10% but she is negotiable on things of a fairly high value - you need to contact her and see if she will even take the ring and if so then negotiate her terms and she will give you a rough estimate of how much you will get for it selling it on the pre-loved market.

Otherwise if you are willing to list it yourself try Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro;

http://www.loupetroop.com/

www.diamondbistro.com/

You might need an updated valuation done by a well known respected valuer, these are listed in the Resources tab up in the top right of this page under "Appraisers." They might also suggest a valid preloved price for the ring. I would also suggest you only take wire transfer, cash or Paypal to protect yourself and meet any potential customers at an Appraisers office or at a secure location like a bank.

If you don't want the hassle Grace would be my first choice followed by Good Old Gold, followed by an auction house.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
I second Grace from Jewels By Grace! She has a lot of luck selling unmounted stones. She sold mine fairly quickly and for almost the exact price I wanted.

Hollywould

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the excellent suggestion and recommended selling sites... That helps a lot!

Do you all think I should just go ahead and remove the center stone and sell it without the bands and setting or sell the ring as a whole set?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd leave it intact. You aren't gonna have much luck selling it on its own as not many people have stones that size to set. And settings usually don't fetch a good % on the resale market. Your buyer may not be interested then will request to unset. You can consider it then. For now, leave it be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results