shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling diamond, then upgrading - help with value!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I'm looking to sell my current GIA diamond - specs below - to use the money towards an ACA upgrade. I bought it about 5 years ago, of course at a B&M for around $7K (yes, overpriced!). I'm hoping to sell it to a B&M jeweler who's asked what I want for it. I know I won't get what I paid for it, but what do you think is fair? I see similar diamonds online anywhere from $5k to $7K.
Thank you in advance!!

.91 ct
F
VS2
6.17 - 6.19 x 3.86 mm
Excellent cut
Depth 62.5%
Table 57%
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are trying to purchase an ACA, have you tried to contact WF to see if they would do trade in with your current diamond?

If you have, but looking for other alternatives, I have had great success and recommend Shaftel Diamonds (Bonded Buyers) in TX... They would need the GIA specs. I recommended them to my friend, and she got what I think a great offer on the secondary market, vs what I think she could get herself, but without all the hassle.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few factors come into play. First, you said you bought a few years ago. There is likely a variance between market prices then and now. Second you indicated you overpaid at the retail level. Third, unless you are using a trade in policy any other dealer will give you a fair TRADE value for the existing diamond. Trade value is less than retail. Think of it like when you buy a new car and you trade your existing car.

Lastly, consider the specs of the stone. The color, clarity and size of the stone are all desirable. My main concern would be the 41 pavilion with the 35 crown. That's typically an angle combo we do not recommend but an ASET, etc would prove how it fares.

All factors combined may make for a disappointing offer depending on your expectations. I think 50-70% of current retail price is about what you should expect.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I'm looking to sell my current GIA diamond - specs below - to use the money towards an ACA upgrade. I bought it about 5 years ago, of course at a B&M for around $7K (yes, overpriced!). I'm hoping to sell it to a B&M jeweler who's asked what I want for it. I know I won't get what I paid for it, but what do you think is fair? I see similar diamonds online anywhere from $5k to $7K.
Thank you in advance!!

.91 ct
F
VS2
6.17 - 6.19 x 3.86 mm
Excellent cut
Depth 62.5%
Table 57%
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%

Keep in mind that any time you're selling it to a retail jeweler or consigning it with someone else, you're going to get less money. That's because the business need to turn around and sell the stone themselves, which requires work on their part... and they'll want to turn a profit for their effort.

The less work involved for you, the less money you're going to see out of the sale.

Right now, diamonds with equivalent specs start around $4.5k-5K. That's retail price, which you're not going to get. As @sledge said, you're looking at somewhere between 40-70% of current retail price. I'm guessing that a B&M jeweler will give you an offer of around 40% retail (probably $1800-2000). If you're selling it on your own, and you find the right buyer who highly desires your stone, then you could likely get closer to 70% of current retail (maybe $3200-3500). But keep in mind that finding a buyer can be a rather involved process, and also can take quite a bit of time. This is especially true right now, as we're past the holiday rush where people are looking for Christmas/V-day jewelry. If you're trying to get closer to 70% of current retail by waiting for that perfect buyer, you may be sitting on the sale for a while...

Last edited:

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the great information and responses!

@D&T - I did try to sell it to WF a couple years ago but they weren't interested in the stone - I'm guessing due to the 35/41 combo - although I've never seen the ASET on it. I'll take a look at Shaftel too, thank you!

@sledge and @TreeScientist - thank you for the info on what I should expect vs. retail - exactly what I needed. I may just decide end of day to keep it for a necklace and wait on the upgrade (as much as I don't want to!). And maybe I should order an ASET to see what it looks like.

Have a great weekend!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@sledge and @TreeScientist - thank you for the info on what I should expect vs. retail - exactly what I needed. I may just decide end of day to keep it for a necklace and wait on the upgrade (as much as I don't want to!). And maybe I should order an ASET to see what it looks like.

Have a great weekend!

That's what a lot of people do when they upgrade their original diamonds, as they realize that the money they would get by trading it in or consigning it just wouldn't be worth it in the grand scheme of things. And honestly, while the 35/41 combo is the point where most PS members would begin to call the stone a "Steep/Deep," it is actually quite a decent combo all things considered. Sure, it may not meet "SuperIdeal" standards, but it still looks like a great performer (I went back and looked at your old pictures of the stone :) ).

A .9ish carat, well-cut F/VS2 will make a lovely pendant, and then you can always look at it with fond memories as your original engagement diamond (if you're into that touchy-feely kind of stuff... :mrgreen: ).

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
You’re so right @TreeScientist! It’s not a bad stone at all, I just have the DSS and superideal itch....thanks PS :lol:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you may be a bit optimistic on your pricing. You didn't mention the grading source but assuming it's GIA, I see 349 retail offers here to use as comps. All but 1 is below your $7000 point. Most by quite a bit.

Jewelers will generally pay half to 3/4 of what they're seeing as comparable less costs to redo the lab inspection, repair any damage and whatnot. Less if it's an unusual sort of stone that they think will be a slow seller (that doesn't look to be the case here but I mention it for others reading this thread), possibly a little more if they've got a big sale to you on the line that's dependent on it.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds...1&pageview=24&adv=false&days=100&cert_number=

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Try HPD (High Performance Diamonds) I traded my diamond with them, and got a much larger stone.

Certainly worth an ask.

Wishing you luck on this journey.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @denverappraiser and @chamois!!

It is a GIA cert, and I have the paperwork, but doesn’t mean it may not need to be recerted. I’ll do some checking around with a few vendors before I make a decision. The jeweler I may want to sell it to may give me a fair deal. Just wanted to check with you all here before throwing out a number.

Fortunately no sentimentality to the stone as it’s actually not the ring I was originally proposed to...so I’m thinking about my third upgrade now lol. At least I found PS for the third one!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results