shape
carat
color
clarity

selling advertising to get paper for class?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Well, when residents do not want pay the taxes to fund schools, we have to do something to fund the teaching our future generations of laborers, doctors, engineers, etc. Our district is going to sell advertising on the side of school buses, just like public buses. Some are horrified. To that I say, ask to pay more in property taxes rather than less and we won''t need to beg and borrow money. Two schools need new roofs, one has a mold infestation, and by law we need an elevator in another. But our funding was cut by 12% and we should probably still heat the school for the kiddies.

I think the teacher in the article is very clever, he is doing what he can in order to have paper. I used to teach in a district where I got 2 reams a year. But I had 23 kids and 4 textbooks for them to share. I spend about 15% of my salary that year on supplies for the classroom. Not decorations, but pencils, books, the butcher gave me a roll of paper for making maps, begging and borrowing has become part of the teaching load. Oh, and teaching many of the things that parents no longer care to work on.

Don''t judge the teacher, or the schools. Unless of course you regularly donate your time and money to your local elementary, middle, and high Schools and encourage ballot initiatives to increase property taxes that fund the schools.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 7:19:26 AM
Author: swimmer
Well, when residents do not want pay the taxes to fund schools, we have to do something to fund the teaching our future generations of laborers, doctors, engineers, etc. Our district is going to sell advertising on the side of school buses, just like public buses. Some are horrified. To that I say, ask to pay more in property taxes rather than less and we won''t need to beg and borrow money. Two schools need new roofs, one has a mold infestation, and by law we need an elevator in another. But our funding was cut by 12% and we should probably still heat the school for the kiddies.

I think the teacher in the article is very clever, he is doing what he can in order to have paper. I used to teach in a district where I got 2 reams a year. But I had 23 kids and 4 textbooks for them to share. I spend about 15% of my salary that year on supplies for the classroom. Not decorations, but pencils, books, the butcher gave me a roll of paper for making maps, begging and borrowing has become part of the teaching load. Oh, and teaching many of the things that parents no longer care to work on.

Don''t judge the teacher, or the schools. Unless of course you regularly donate your time and money to your local elementary, middle, and high Schools and encourage ballot initiatives to increase property taxes that fund the schools.
I don''t want to start an argument here, but how is it fair to the residents to raise property taxes when the home values are overstated to begin with? Where I live your property taxes are directly related to the appraised value of your home - determined by the county Auditor. When the property values go down so to the property taxes - which, unfortunately, means less money for the schools and other causes to improve the city. If you feel you are being overtaxed you have the opportunity to demand a reevaluation by the county. The Auditor''s office also reevaluates the entire city once every three years.

I say that schools need to focus on EDUCATION and not on SPORTS. Get rid of the football team and the million dollar stadium and use the money saved for education tools in the classroom - computers, books, supplies, whatever. I''m all for paying my fair share of property taxes, but not when the money isn''t really being used for the education of the students.

I certainly would never judge a teacher for the school''s problems - my sister is a preschool teacher and has to buy all of her own supplies for her 20 students.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to add fuel to the flames, because I believe that things can certainly be tuned down in sports...but sports are VERY IMPORTANT! I played all thoughout middle school and HS. My family life was a nightmare and the only outlet I had were my coaches, my music, and my sports. Some take sports way over the top, you dont need million $$$ stadiums or super expensive jerseys to play, but you can''t cut out sports together. Thats where you learn teamwork and no matter what "click" your in, are respected for your skills and hard work. It brings out leadership roles, teaches disapline and hard work.

I say we all order a pizza from the pizza place! It was very creative and as a furture teacher, at least we have some creative ones left! Our kids need all the help they can get, and its unfair that the teachers have to pay a % of their earrings for supplies that should be provied, but because most teachers care, they go out of THEIR WAY so their students dont suffer, and provide supplies.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:26:03 AM
Author: redrose229
Not to add fuel to the flames, because I believe that things can certainly be tuned down in sports...but sports are VERY IMPORTANT! I played all thoughout middle school and HS. My family life was a nightmare and the only outlet I had were my coaches, my music, and my sports. Some take sports way over the top, you dont need million $$$ stadiums or super expensive jerseys to play, but you can''t cut out sports together. Thats where you learn teamwork and no matter what ''click'' your in, are respected for your skills and hard work. It brings out leadership roles, teaches disapline and hard work.

I say we all order a pizza from the pizza place! It was very creative and as a furture teacher, at least we have some creative ones left! Our kids need all the help they can get, and its unfair that the teachers have to pay a % of their earrings for supplies that should be provied, but because most teachers care, they go out of THEIR WAY so their students dont suffer, and provide supplies.
I totally agree with you. I''m not saying that schools should cut sports entirely, but they need to remember that schools are to educate the students. Students definately need a creative outlet, especially if their home life is not very good. I especially like music and art programs.

I went to a high school that had the suckiest football team ever (got kicked out of the league!) but yet spent $$$$$ on a new stadium and then begged the taxpayers for yet more money for improvements to the building and technology. Ooooookkkkaaayyyyy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results