shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling a Fur (Mink) Coat?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I recently inherited a very nice (from what I'm told) mink coat. The problem is that I won't wear fur, and my husband's a vegetarian. He says it creeps him out just having it in the house.

I was told that I'm welcome to sell it if I want, but I haven't yet decided what I want to do with it. If I do decide to sell it, how would I go about selling it? How would I know what it's worth, if anything?

I'd appreciate any help from someone who knows more about fur than I do.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 9:02:28 PM
Author:E B
I recently inherited a very nice (from what I''m told) mink coat. The problem is that I won''t wear fur, and my husband''s a vegetarian. He says it creeps him out just having it in the house.

I was told that I''m welcome to sell it if I want, but I haven''t yet decided what I want to do with it. If I do decide to sell it, how would I go about selling it? How would I know what it''s worth, if anything?

I''d appreciate any help from someone who knows more about fur than I do.
1.gif
Hey EB,
Get it cleaned and then take it around to see what offers you can get. Consignment shops may be better in this case... I had one I inherited and wasn''t getting any nods for it. I had it recut and revamped and gave it to DD who was thrilled with it... She wears fur but doesn''t eat meat... Go figure...
2.gif

Can you tell me how old it is, what kind of condition it''s in, the length, the style??

We have a friend who owns a high end fur store, and will be glad to ask him for you...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 9:31:16 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Hey EB,

Get it cleaned and then take it around to see what offers you can get. Consignment shops may be better in this case... I had one I inherited and wasn't getting any nods for it. I had it recut and revamped and gave it to DD who was thrilled with it... She wears fur but doesn't eat meat... Go figure...
2.gif

Can you tell me how old it is, what kind of condition it's in, the length, the style??

We have a friend who owns a high end fur store, and will be glad to ask him for you...

Thank you so much! That would be wonderful, if it's not too much trouble.

I'm thinking it's anywhere from 50 to 60 years old, but I can't be sure. It's about hip length, give or take a few inches, with long sleeves that have a little bit of a "puff" at the top. It looks like it's in great condition. I'd describe the overall color as sort of a milk chocolate with variations (both light and dark).

I found a "fur dealer" (shop) in town that has an appraisal service- should I take it in tomorrow and see what they say?

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
EB,

Definately take it to the appraiser and see what they say.

I had a similiar situation with a fur of family member. I'm not fur person either, and husband wanted it out of the house for all sorts of reasons. It was around 40 years old, someone paid a fortune in its heyday- calf length, very sumptious, glamourous coat and good condition, but no resale value per many consignment shops.

Finally, we took pictures, listed on ebay and sold for $300 to highest bidder, as is- we said, have no idea what it is, but here it is.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes get it appraised by all means... Then go from there... Good luck!!

I will be happy to ask my guy, but do this first... You may just do better...
5.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both! I''ll take it to be appraised tomorrow.
1.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Furriers will sometimes rebuy if in great condition (As long as it was stored properly). You won''t get much from a consignment shop, but if it appraises high, you could sell it privately.

My mother had mink stoles (2), a full length sable coat, beaver jacket. My sister and I also each had a beaver jacket when we were younger. We had discussed this a number of times and we decided that since we are not going to wear any of these, we are going to make our beaver jackets into teddy bears (http://www.stadlerfurbears.com/ ) and the mink stoles, sable coat into throws. These meant a lot to our mother and we didn''t want to get rid of them and therefore will still have them to remmeber her by.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, one option that I''ve known adamant anti-fur people to do is to bury it in the ground as an homage to the animal(s) lost... return it to nature. Seems like a waste in some ways, I know, but to sell it perpetuates the wearing of it. I personally am not opposed to fur other than it kinda smells like dead animals, which it is.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wouldn''t wear a fur coat myself, but the burying a perfectly good warm coat when there are people out there freezing just makes me think of the last letter in this edition of Tomato Nation ....

E B, definitely have it appraised, but if it won''t fetch a decent amount in consignment or through private sale, perhaps donating it might be an option? That way it at least does some good in the world ....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 6:33:53 PM
Author: karpouzi
You can donate it to the Humane Society and take the tax write-off. They use them as bedding for rescue wildlife.

http://www.hsus.org/furfree/campaigns/c4c/
Wow, that seems like an awesome idea. I hadn''t even thought of that. I would do this if I had any fur to donate.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can donate it to the Humane Society and take the tax write-off. They use them as bedding for rescue wildlife.

That is awesome! I too have a few old furs from the 40''s or 50''s (grandma etc.) and I wouldn''t wear them if I could... this sounds like a fantastic idea!! Never would have thought of that...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for letting us know that karpouzi, thats a great way to use an old fur.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I really hope this doesn''t offend anyone because that is not my intention, but for anyone who hasn''t seen Phoebe and the fur coat from friends should take a look.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Granted I''m not a vegetarian, but burying a perfectly fine fur coat in the ground (that multiple animals sacrificed their lives for) seems - wasteful. I personally would never wear a fur coat, but I''d have much less problems someone wearing an inherited or vintage fur coat than someone who bought it new.

I like the idea of recycling, upcycling it into something else if you can''t find a buyer.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
GREAT link gailey!!!! :)

I agree to the consumer mindset it would be a "waste" but to the conservationist mindset it respectfully stops the perpetuation.

I think they''re gorgeous but I think they smell bad and are kind of creepy. I do not hold a position on this topic, but I think if someone is TRULY against furs they won''t encourage the wearing of it by giving one away or selling it one (and giving it value). If you believe wearing fur is a poison, selling it is just passing the poison along. I love leather and don''t feel guilty about it at all. I bought a leather purse in florence and named her bessie :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SIL who ironically was vegetarian for most of her life, inherited a mink wrap/stole? Not sure what it''s called. It''s basically the actual animal made into a length that you wrap around your neck, head and front limbs included. She has it displayed on a dressmaker''s form in her bedroom, not sure if she''s ever put it on, but again it begs the question what you do with these things? I guess if there was some use in which fur was indispensible, not sure if there is one (fur collars for people working in Antartica?) to donate it for that so that it could prevent new animals being killed.

Even fake fur''s not completely safe. My sister sent me an article that some "fur" (especially collars, etc) that is labeled fake has been tested and found to be real!!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Seems the world is awash with old fur coats! I recently inherited 3 of them, don''t want any. They are for sale in a consignment shop and we managed to sell one of them so far. They don''t sell easily!

What I learned about this: fur coats are a dreadful investment. Much worse than diamonds. Dont buy one!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 12:58:20 PM
Author: Beacon
Seems the world is awash with old fur coats! I recently inherited 3 of them, don''t want any. They are for sale in a consignment shop and we managed to sell one of them so far. They don''t sell easily!

What I learned about this: fur coats are a dreadful investment. Much worse than diamonds. Dont buy one!
Beacon, I suspect I am a closet Phoebe at heart, just never been tested. Send them over to me and clarify that!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2010 2:32:19 AM
Author: Gailey
Beacon, I suspect I am a closet Phoebe at heart, just never been tested. Send them over to me and clarify that!
me too.

We can start our own support group.

I have always wanted to recycle a fur coat into a lining for my winter coat: I''m always SO cold, it just makes sense to me to have the fur on the inside of my coat...

*as she ducks and heads for cover*

LS

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am joining the club that likes fur coats. I live in the Chicago area and I had job where I sometimes had to be outside. A gal I worked with who was from Minnesota decided to part with her aunts fur coat which she told me was rabbit. I had a white rabbit coat when I was young and except for the shedding I liked it. She was only asking $25.00 for it and so I made the purchase. It was a beautiful black soft fur and quite heavy really. The lining was coming apart and I needed to sew a few things to make my debut in it and so had to look under the liining where I found the stamped furs. To my surprise this was no rabbit coat. Now don''t start yelling(this happened 25 yrs ago. It was a seal coat. I called Neiman Marcus in the morning and found out the particulars and offered to give back the coat to my coworker. She declined the offer and I had a gorgeous warm warm winter coat for a good number of years. I became very ill and was so cold at times, I used the fur as a blanket. I loved it, but inevitably the skins dried out and I got rid of it.

Contrary to what I have read here I did go to consignment shops for a number of yrs, and used clothing shops to try to find another fur. They go like hotcakes here. People don''t buy new ones but it is acceptable to buy a used one. There is a day, usually Nov l when they put out the used furs, but I am always too late. I have a little fox jacket, but i got too big for it, but i like it in my closet, so it stays there.

If you have a big size I would be interested. i love them. Of course I am an older generation, but when I read about a sable coat being made into whatever, i cry.

Thanks,

Annette

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions! Donation is appealing, as is the teddy bear idea to keep it in the family (though my husband made a face when I suggested it, so I think he'd be happier with it gone).

I had it "verbally" appraised and it wasn't in the thousands, but it wasn't pennies, either. Would selling it be worth it? I'm not sure. For now, I'm going to hang on to it.

I really appreciate everyone's input!
35.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I think donation is a great way to go E B
35.gif
no guilt then over perpetuating an industry you and your husband dont agree with (from what i gather).

Its funny, aside from the moral issue i have with furs, i find them very unflattering, i havent seen one that didnt make the woman look older than they are.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Hey Annette - what consignment stores in Chicago area are good for fur?. The ones I have are small size, sorry, but good ones. One is a female ranch mink that is supposed to be very nice. Any suggestions on a store in Chicago that could consign it?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beacon, try Chicago Fur Outlet at Halsted and Diversey. Not sure what their policy is now, but I sold them something outright several years ago (not consignment). Call for hours though before you make the trek because I know they are closed Sundays during the summer, and may have shortered their other hours too for the season.

http://www.chicagofuroutlet.com/

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I had a fur that belonged to my late MIL. I do not wear fur so I took it to a consignment shop and it sold in less than a month.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Beacon,

The shops I used to go to are in the suburbs and are money makers for local hospitals. One is a resale shop in Glen Elyn, one in Wheaton called the Wise Penny. Wheaton used to have a number of resale shops, but I haven''t looked in yrs.
You can call them and see what their policies are.

The one that starts a Nov 1 sale is St. Vincent De Paul in West Chicago. I''m not sure if they take it on consignment or not.

For the person who thinks that furs make people look older, I think its how you wear them. I always wanted to wear a fur coat with jeans and sneakers. That''s casual elegance to me. I do know what you mean though. I, of course wouldn''t look older, only elegant. Now it wouldn''t matter. You can only pull off the casual elegant look in your 20''s and 30''s.
Furs are not in style now, although I can''t find one.

Thanks,
Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results