shape
carat
color
clarity

Sell by date...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Jeez, I remember buying food before they even had sell by dates. It is amazing that us old folk have lived to tell about it! LOL!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I recently read that ground beef is actually one of the worst things to use after the sell-by date. I think it was because during the grounding process it is much more likely to pick up bacteria that would contaminate it if left for a few days.

I''m with those that freeze everything the second I get home unless I am certain I will use it that night. Although I did gross myself out the other day...I was making meat in the crock pot, so I wanted it defrosted by morning, and if I put things in the fridge to defrost overnight it''s not done by the morning, so I left it on the counter. It was NOT looking good when I opened it in the morning, but I made it anyway!

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I freeze in the package it came in, unless I buy something like chicken breast in bulk, then I divide up into individual ziplocs. And I also tend to shop for "meals", DH gets paid every 2 weeks, that Saturday, I go shopping for meals for the next 2 weeks, then just fill in as needed. So by the time he gets paid again, freezer is usually empty.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori- Not only that, but I used to call my mom every single time I boiled eggs cause I can''t ever remember for how long. It''s sad and has become a family joke. And now I''m pregnant, and my mom is like, are you still going to call me when you''re a mom? And I''m like, yep! She loves it.

Btw, I do know how long to boil an egg for now. But I still call her about all things kitchen-related.

And I just freeze it in the package it comes in usually.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 8:33:56 AM
Author: Girlrocks
Date: 2/4/2009 8:06:46 AM

Author: jcarlylew82

does anyone here freeze their ground beef, etc?
Yes, I freeze EVERYTHING within minutes of walking in from the grocery store, even what I will be having the next night. I take out whatever meat we will be eating for dinner in the morning and put it in the fridge to thaw.

I do the same. I freeze everything!! I also never eat meat gone past it''s use by date, it just freaks me out! Same with most things-once I know that it''s gone past the date, it just tastes funny to me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, the color looked fresh and it didn''t smell so I cooked it (and ate it). Tasted normal.
18.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
MC, I don''t remember mentioning the Evil Weevils before, but it''s possible... it was memorable.
6.gif
Basically we threw out everything that wasn''t a can in the kitchen, bug sprayed the cabinets (because they kept coming back, probably living in the cracks of the wood or something), bug sprayed them again, then waited a few weeks to restock. I am totally anal about putting flour in glass canisters and pasta too- anything that comes in a paper or cardboard wrapper... remembering how hard the weevils were to get rid of makes me reaaaalllly want to avoid them in the future! It was one of those things that we didn''t know what they actually *were* for a while, which was part of what dragged the Weevil Incident on for so long; I think it may have been nearly a year before we got fully rid of them. Boy were there some happy spiders hiding in that kitchen... the cabinets were poorly built so the spiders could live under them and there was nothing you could do. So the spiders fed on the weevils and got fatter, and more plentiful, and it was all very bad.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, question for you freezer lovers...how long is frozen meat good for?

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 8:28:19 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Tacori- this is from my Betty Crocker cook book:
Meats :
chops 4-6 months
ground 2-3 months
roasts 8-12 months
steaks 6-12 months

Poultry:
cut up 4-6 months
whole 6-8 months

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 10:46:35 AM
Author: tiffanytwisted
Date: 2/5/2009 8:28:19 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Tacori- this is from my Betty Crocker cook book:

Meats :

chops 4-6 months

ground 2-3 months

roasts 8-12 months

steaks 6-12 months

Poultry:

cut up 4-6 months

whole 6-8 months

Thanks tiffany! So that is from the sell by date right? Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results