shape
carat
color
clarity

***Selkie*** (photog info)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:44:50 PM
Author: selflove
We spent $700 for photographer which included 4 hours of time, a bound photo album, all original digital negatives on CD, and 60-5x7 ''credits'' (so we can use the ''credits'' to trade up for larger prints or take 60 5x7s). I had to negotiate the price down and he reduced the number of ''credits''. I wish I had booked him for 1 or 2 more hours so I had more from the reception. I LOVE our pictures, I think he did a fabulous job. Shocking that I found him in LA. I can''t believe the going rates around here.

And no videographer.

How? How, how, HOW did you get him down to $700 for all that? What are his normal prices? That''s astounding. Seriously, how do you approach bargaining for discounts like that? The photographer I really like (in Mass.) normally charges a minimum $2500 for 4 hours with two shooters, the proof book and online album. Because ours is going to be small and on a boat, she said (over the phone, no contract yet) that she wouldn''t need the assistant, and would charge $2000. But that still doesn''t include any albums or digital files. Now I''m wondering if I should try to talk her into including AT LEAST the files with that. I''m meeting her in a couple of weeks. Tips, please!

$2000 is a full 20-25% of our expected total costs, for reference.

Yeah, and dont they say you should spend 10% of your budget on photography? YEAH RIGHT!

My guy''s regular rates would have been $950 for what we got.

So the first thing I did was stroke his ego and say that he was recommended by our chapel and that I checked out his work and I really liked it. Which wasnt a lie. Then I told him that our budget was only $700 and since we are moving to Slovenia in a year, we dont want any big portraits or albums to pack and ship, we just want the negatives so that we can make our own portraits and albums once we get settled. He said "Okay, I could do $700 for you, maybe just reduce the number of 5x7 credits, would that be okay with you?" All the vendors that I spoke with at bridal expos got the same schpeal from me and some of them were really blunt and like "No, we cant do that." so then Id just move on. I did find one other guy who was recommended by our chapel and he would have done 3 hours for $850 and only given us the negs but I thought all his pictures had the same poses and in the end I thought he was really arrogant anyways.

I tell you, it wasnt easy finding someone! And my sob story isnt untrue...we really dont want big portraits and I can make my own album. (Although I REALLY love the album our photog put together for us.)

Its too bad you re not getting married in LA so you could use him!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I figured his initial rate couldn''t have been too high. $900 is still impressively low for the area, but I''ll bet if Wayfarers Chapel recommends him to their clients, then he gets TONS of business to make up for it.

I guess it can''t hurt to try a similar approach with the woman I''m meeting. This is our max. budget, we want to make our own albums, we live ALLLL the way across the country, etc.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Selkie......I hired Photography by Linda, and she was very amendable to working on the pricing when she worked for us 2 years ago.

As you know, we had our reception on the Lannon....but we married in Beverly in Lynch Park.

Instead of going with a package, she did an hourly rate for us. We had her for 3 hours, and that included proofs. The albums we did afterward.

When are you due in town here for vacation?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2006 11:21:16 PM
Author: aljdewey
Selkie......I hired Photography by Linda, and she was very amendable to working on the pricing when she worked for us 2 years ago.

As you know, we had our reception on the Lannon....but we married in Beverly in Lynch Park.

Instead of going with a package, she did an hourly rate for us. We had her for 3 hours, and that included proofs. The albums we did afterward.

Hi Alj, thanks for reminding me about Linda. Did she shoot digital or film? Maybe I''ll give her a call and try to set something up.

I am in Mass. from June 28-July 5 for the marathon of planning. Hopefully I''ll have everything but the caterer by the end of the week. Wildflour is one of the caterers we''re interested in, thanks to you, but they didn''t have time to meet while we''re there.

I would still love to see your pics, if you''re willing, and have time. Hopefully I''ll have a few minutes among the madness!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2006 12:13:48 AM
Author: Selkie

Date: 6/17/2006 11:21:16 PM

Hi Alj, thanks for reminding me about Linda. Did she shoot digital or film? Maybe I''ll give her a call and try to set something up.

I am in Mass. from June 28-July 5 for the marathon of planning. Hopefully I''ll have everything but the caterer by the end of the week. Wildflour is one of the caterers we''re interested in, thanks to you, but they didn''t have time to meet while we''re there.

I would still love to see your pics, if you''re willing, and have time. Hopefully I''ll have a few minutes among the madness!
Absolutely - would love to set something up to meet with you when you''re in town. Yes, Linda does both digital and film.

I''m fairly flexible in that time frame, so let me know how things are shaping up. I''m off work that Monday, 7/3, and fairly free. I''m pretty free most nights after work as well.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2006 8:33:43 PM

I''m fairly flexible in that time frame, so let me know how things are shaping up. I''m off work that Monday, 7/3, and fairly free. I''m pretty free most nights after work as well.
Let''s see...Thursday evening is free, and Friday evening is a possibility depending on when we get back from Portland (going to see the jeweler).

We''re actually sailing on the Lannon for the Gloucester fireworks on the evening of the 3rd. Would you be interested in going? Have you and your husband sailed on her again since your wedding? I could also get together earlier that day (around noon). Whatever works for you...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Selkie: Hope I''m not too late in picking this thread back up!

Yes, I''d love to get together. How is Thursday evening for you? We could meet at the Dunkin Donuts in the strip mall in Georgetown center (if you''re heading from your mom''s house toward Rt. 95, it''s in the plaza on the left!)
I get out of work at about 5:30 and could meet you there for 6 p.m.

Rich and I are having a shed delivered during the day on Monday, so that''s not optimal, but we are going to go on the fireworks cruise! We haven''t been back on board since the wedding, and we''re excited to go. Obviously, though, it won''t be optimal for seeing photographs at that hour (evening), so I''m thinking Thursday would be good for that.

Let me know! Really excited to catch up with you!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2006 2:11:01 PM
Hi, Selkie: Hope I''m not too late in picking this thread back up!

Yes, I''d love to get together. How is Thursday evening for you? We could meet at the Dunkin Donuts in the strip mall in Georgetown center (if you''re heading from your mom''s house toward Rt. 95, it''s in the plaza on the left!)

I get out of work at about 5:30 and could meet you there for 6 p.m.

Rich and I are having a shed delivered during the day on Monday, so that''s not optimal, but we are going to go on the fireworks cruise! We haven''t been back on board since the wedding, and we''re excited to go. Obviously, though, it won''t be optimal for seeing photographs at that hour (evening), so I''m thinking Thursday would be good for that.

Let me know! Really excited to catch up with you!

Excellent! I''m glad you''re going on the cruise. It''ll be a mini-PS get-together, since I believe Sumbride, from the LIW, will be going too. She''s my SIL''s best friend, and will be visiting them this weekend.

As for Thursday, I have an appointment at 4 in Nashua at the dress shop, but I should be able to make it back by 6. To be safe, should we say 6:15? Dunkin''s sounds good.

If you''d like you can contact me via Yahoo email (selkiers), and I can get you my contact info.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2006 3:50:07 PM
Author: Selkie

As for Thursday, I have an appointment at 4 in Nashua at the dress shop, but I should be able to make it back by 6. To be safe, should we say 6:15? Dunkin''s sounds good.

That sounds great.....and no worries if you''re a bit behind....I''ll just wait. I LOOOOOOOOVE Dunkin Donuts, so it''s fine with me.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I can''t wait for my Dunkin fix...they don''t have them out here in LA
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results