shape
carat
color
clarity

Seizures in dogs

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Just came back from a walk with the dog and played a little frisbee with him before we came indoors. He had a drink of water and everything was fine, then all of a sudden he jumped up on my lap began sniffing around me and then sat there with his ears back, looking straight ahead, drooling,, and his left leg was shaking very hard.This lasted less than 10 minutes. He is ok now, just lying on my lap sleeping.

This has never happened before. Could this have been a seizure?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, poor thing! I don't know what a seizure in a dog would look like. Can you give your vet a call in the morning? Just to make sure they don't want to see you? Hope that he's ok!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It does sound like a seizure. Good idea to call the vet in the morning. Dogs will sometimes have a seizure & it's a one-off, never happening again. But if it lasted anywhere near 10 minutes, it sounds like he should be looked at. One of my dogs had a seizure several hours after I brought her home from minor surgery & light anesthetic -- it lasted maybe 1 minute. Seemed like half an hour. Are you sure it was that long? How old is he?

Very possible it was a single incident -- getting him a physical would put your mind at rest, though, and if there are problems, help you find & treat them. He sounds like a good boy! And you like a good doggy mom.

--- Laurie

soocool

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304639985|2913447 said:
It does sound like a seizure. Good idea to call the vet in the morning. Dogs will sometimes have a seizure & it's a one-off, never happening again. But if it lasted anywhere near 10 minutes, it sounds like he should be looked at. One of my dogs had a seizure several hours after I brought her home from minor surgery & light anesthetic -- it lasted maybe 1 minute. Seemed like half an hour. Are you sure it was that long? How old is he?

Very possible it was a single incident -- getting him a physical would put your mind at rest, though, and if there are problems, help you find & treat them. He sounds like a good boy! And you like a good doggy mom.

--- Laurie
It seemed like 10 minutes, but could have only been a couple of minutes. I called the vet and will bring hom in tomorrow morning. He is 4 years old.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
It could have been. Or it could have been external influences. I would monitor him thoroughly and if it happens again tonight, I would take him to the vet or emergency vet.

How old is he?

This may be a stretch, but he could have narcolepsy. Dog narcolepsy is very similar to humans, but their dreams can affect motor skills while in a narcoleptic sleep. The video of the sleeping dog getting up and running into the wall is a great example of this.

I really hope it was a one time issue for you.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm - my dog has done something weird a couple of times before, and it worries me a bit. It was the same thing both times - he stood up somewhere (once on the couch, once on the floor), arched his back (like in a pooping position, but not as low to the ground), and made 'humping' motions, but he wasn't actually on anything. It was scary, but fast - I can't even remember what his eyes looked like. One time I had been hugging him and he tried to get away, so I let him go, and that's when he did it. The other time, he was on the floor. He might have been itchy or something, though.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Funny, Shitzulover -- if he's adolescent, not surprising, or there could be a bitch in heat somewhere -- dogs can smell that a full mile away.

Soocool, seizures can be caused by a zillion things from genetics to chemicals, allergies & anything in between. Some breeds are also more prone to them than others. At 4, you know it's not due to age problems. He may never have another one & the vet might not find a reason for it -- that happens an awful lot. If he does seizure again, there are ways to treat it.

I bet it was a good bit shorter than 10 min. -- I know it feels at the time like forever. I have an old cat who has had a couple of seizures & will never forget the one my dog had. Scary stuff.

Let us know what the vet says, ok? I'm sure he'll come out ok!!!

--- Laurie

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Vet saw my dog this morning and all he said it could have been a seizure, but then it could also have been many other things.

He checked him out, took blood and said we would go from there and to log any other incidences. He said after a seizure the dog is wiped out and would probably eat to replace the glucose lost (my dog did not want to eat) and that he would probably sleep as the sizure would wear him out. He did go to sleep right afterwards.

Much later in the evening he was his old self again, running around playing fetch and also wanted to go for a good walk at bedtime (skunk smells - phew!)

I hope it never happens again. I was so scared that I did not know what to do.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh good news! It could have been something else. It probably won't happen again. Hope the bloodwork comes out shiny sterling! He's young & healthy, that's very much in his favor. Don't worry, he's okay. Maybe it was just some silly thing he felt like doing.

--- Laurie

P.S. Never heard of dogs being hungry afterward -- mine wasn't, nor my cat, but they were sleepy & worn out.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4 year old beagle who who has had a handful of seizures. A Handful. Hers have been nothing...maybe one a year.

Don't worry a bout it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would just note anyother occurences - if there are any- when they happen, what it looked like, how be behaved after, and what he was doing right before.

Glad to hear that it may very well be nothing!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! He seems absolutely fine since that incident. He had a playdate today with his Great Dane friend, rolled around in something very smelly, just had his bath because of the something smelly, and now is resting comfortably on the couch dreaming of biscuits and chasing cats.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
SooCool~ Seizure disorders are SO common in dogs, and thankfully they are usually harmless. There are medication options available if the seizures continue. They still scare the heck out of us though!

We strongly recommend that our clients keep a seizure log. Note what time the seizure started, how long it lasted, how the seizure presented, factors that may have triggered the seizure, factors that may have alleviated the seizure, etc.

Hopefully it was a onetime incident, best wishes to you and your baby!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Izzy03|1304799524|2915014 said:
SooCool~ Seizure disorders are SO common in dogs, and thankfully they are usually harmless. There are medication options available if the seizures continue. They still scare the heck out of us though!

We strongly recommend that our clients keep a seizure log. Note what time the seizure started, how long it lasted, how the seizure presented, factors that may have triggered the seizure, factors that may have alleviated the seizure, etc.

Hopefully it was a onetime incident, best wishes to you and your baby!

Thanks Izzy, I will do that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results