shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking asscher advice

birneygirl

Rough_Rock
Hi all -

I was lucky enough to stumble on this forum and have been amazed at the wealth of knowledge here! I am in the market for a 2 - 2.5 asscher and am seeking expert advice. I have been underwhelmed with the selection at my local B&M stores and have started searching online to find a loose stone. I'm aiming for the best possible cut and want to stay at VVS2 and above - no lower than G.

I found one that might work on BN - there is no Sarin report - just GIA and GCAL. I've never made this kind of purchase online and want to seek input re: the specs from the forum.

Link with pic: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06457657

Carat weight 2.50
Shape Asscher
Cut Sig. Ideal
Color F
Clarity VVS2
Length/width ratio 1.02
Depth % 66.3%
Table % 62.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 7.68 x 7.52 x 4.98 mm

The GCAL report which rates the stone as "excellent" with regard to light performance but I would like to see ASET and/or Idealscope images - I know JA offers them but don't think BN does.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this one and am also thinking of contacting GOG to see if they can find a similar stone - their inventory shows an Octavia that is really pretty but I'm shooting for 2 - 2 1/2 carats. There is also a 3.01 asscher which might be a possibility:

Link: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/3.01-Asscher--GIA-G-VVS2-diamond-stock-14404-cert-

SHAPE ASSCHER
CARAT WEIGHT 3.01
COLOR G
CLARITY VVS2
POLISH EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY EXCELLENT
FLUORESCENCE FAINT
CULET NONE
TABLE 61.7%
DEPTH 66.3%
MEASUREMENTS 5.3x8x8.19 mm
L:W RATIO 0.66

TIA for any advice you can offer!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The BN stone looks pretty bad. You generally don't want to see a wide black reflection. I wouldn't look at BN, personally. You need more information than they provide on a fancy shape stone.

The GOG stone looks really nice, one of the better asschers that you will find.

If you look further, I would encourage you to add VS1 to your search, because VS1 is going to appear totally clean.

birneygirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you, diamondseeker! The black reflection worried me, too. Haven't ruled out VS1 - I'm going to check out the JA link you sent me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results