shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice on presenting gift to my groom!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Our wedding day is fast approaching (Oct 7). We are having a tiny, very casual, and whimsical affair complete with 4 guests (2 witnesses and their dates). No one other than our witnesses, the minister, and some out-of-towners knows we are being married on this date. It''s been pretty difficult to keep this from our families and friends.

My FI has been wanting a nice watch for quite some time, so I purchased one for him as a wedding gift. If I do not practice any subterfuge, he will know immediately what''s in the box, and I want a bit of mystery. He''s also a very sentimental guy, and I do not want to take away any of the romance of the day for him by beeing too creative in giving him this gift. On the other hand, our day is all about having fun.

I plan on giving the watch to him after we get home from the ceremnoy, before our guests arrive (friends only at this time) for the party we are going to have. No relatives are invited to the party at the moment, since one of my cousins is having a big wedding the following week, and we don''t want to steal any of their thunder. We''ll make an announcement in late October to family, and invite them to a more formal reception in early November.

Idea 1: Almost a month ago we purchased our first home together. I am sorely tempted to go get a bushel basket and fill it with things we need in order to do some minor repairs around the house - caulking, cement in a tube, paint brushes and so on. All useful items, none of them a real gift, if you know what I mean. The watch box would be hidden in the bottom of the basket, covered by newspaper and wrapped in special paper. This approach amuses me greatly. However, there is that thing about initial disappointment (whaaat? you gave me a bunch of home improvement thingies?) over the non-gift aspect of this approach.

Idea 2: Go get a hat box from the local card shop, and securely pack it with some heavy objects on the bottom to throw him off with the weight of the box. While I think this might be better suited to the occasion, I don''t think it''s quite as much fun.

Any ideas anyone?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Russian nesting doll approach.
9.gif
It''s a bit more work to wrap all of them, but put the watch box (gift wrapped) in a slightly larger box with packing material. Gift wrap that one and put in a larger box with packing material... repeat until you can''t wrap anything larger. It needs at least 5 layers.
11.gif
It''s even better if you can vary the type of box. Like put the watch box in a shirt/clothing box, etc...
31.gif

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I like the russian nesting thing too, but preferred the bushel basket idea! I think its fabulous to mix the home fix up stuff with a present!

Sounds fabulous and congrats!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your help! I think I will go for the bushel basket idea. While the Russian nesting doll idea is a fabulous one, he''ll see right it after he gets to the second layer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results