shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeing a new GP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I called my doctor''s practice yesterday to make an appointment for Saturday and the receptionist told me that he had suffered a heart attack in January and no longer opens the practice on Saturday. My doctor has recovered and is fine but is now probably close to retiring.

That got me thinking about what I will do when he finally does retire. I have been going to this practice since I was 7, starting off with one doctor and seeing my current doctor when my first one retired.

I don''t wanna see a new doctor. He has been my doctor since I was a little tacker and I have a great doctor/patient relationship with him. I know it sounds weird, but I don''t wanna ever have to get undressed in front of a new doctor......

How did you guys out there feel when you had to change your doctor?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have been in your situation before, roo. Yes, it can be uncomfortable and even sad to have to change doctors, but unfortunately, even our favorite physicians relocate, change professions, grow old, retire and die. It is a fact of life. (No pun intended!
2.gif
)

Give your new doctor a fair shake, you'll probably like him/her just fine. And don't forget - if it doesn't work out, you can always find another one.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I have had 4 GP''s so far during my admittedly fairly long lifetime. All were male including my ob/gyn 40+ years ago. I trusted and generally liked each one although all had totally different personalities. The only reason I changed doctors was due to their retirement.

Right now we have a shortage of doctors in Ontario( salary caps, etc) and the new graduate MD''s are seeking more lucrative positions elsewhere. Many folks are without GP''s and must rely on walk - in clinics or hospital emergency rooms. Not a great situation as you can well imagine.

In the US, I believe that you can choose your doctor and if you''re not satisfied you can move to another one. If that is indeed the case, don''t worry at all about changing GP''s. Yes, it''s inconvenient, but find one who really listens to your complaints.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well in med school, they always talk to us about the importance of establishing a good relationship (good comfort, communicating, sense of trust) and never to be offended if a patient request another doctor. I don''t even have a GP...so I''m always seeing different doctors (some are good, some were terrible). I hope you find someone that you are as comfortable (or even more comfortable with) Good luck!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I think if you ask your nice doctor who he recomends you will be off to a good start. I like mine kinda in their early forties. They have experience and are fairly up-to-date on new medicine. I''m just thinking who is taking over for him? Maybe you will like the new guy. I have a bias toward Drs. trained in the USA. Ask friends and nurse friends youight have. Be a good consumer, your life may depend on it. Ask your Dr. first. I know how you feel. I''v lost a few myself.
Annette Compton

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results