shape
carat
color
clarity

Secrets of the Gem Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone read Richard Wise's book in its entirety? I've seen some sections at http://www.colored-stone.com and at the publisher's website for the book at http://www.secretsofthegemtrade.com ...looks pretty interesting, but before I spent 80 bucks I thought I'd ask
1.gif

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
I have also read the extracts from this book and was impressed with the amount and type of information. I don't know how good the entire book is but I will be buying it. Not much help I know but a thumbs up from me anyway
lickout.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
My copy is "in the mail", and I'm prepared to "attack" it as soon as it hits the doorstep!
read.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elmo,
We are the publishers of Richard Wise's book: Secrets Of the Gem Trade, The Connoisseur's Guide To Precious Gemstones. We consider it a groundbreaking book. You can check the book out, read sample chapters at www.secretsofthegemtrade.com. Also, the book has been reviewed in Rappaport "highly recomended" The review can be found in the online "Gemstone Forecaster". In an unprecidented move, Colored Stone Magazine is running excerpts of the book for one full year (began in May 2003. Look for further reviews in Gem Market News and ICA Gazette. Another interesting article by Mr. Wise plus a book review can be found online at Modern Silver Magazine www.modernsilver.com.

Regards,

Dick

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Dick,

Nice too see you on the forum promoting the book and available resources. Stick around for a while...

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elmo,
Here is a review of Secrets Of The Gem Trade The Connoisseur's Guide To Precious Gemstonespublished in Gem Market News, November 2003. Happy reading.

Book Review
Secrets of the Gem Trade–The Connoisseur’s Guide to Precious Gemstones
By Richard W. Wise, 292 pages, illustrated, published by Brunswick House Press, Lenox, MA, 2003. US $79.95 www.secretsofthegemtrade.com
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Reviewed by Stuart M. Robertson, GG

Secrets of the Gem Trade–The Connoisseur’s Guide to Precious Gemstones, is the culmination of the authors’ past twenty-years traveling the world in search of truly spectacular gems. But, don’t be misled, as this text is no travelogue! No, it is much more than that. The author–respected gem trade journalist Richard Wise–has pulled back the curtain to give us all a glimpse of how he and other top gem connoisseurs evaluate gemstones. For the first time anywhere, Wise lays out in book form the benchmarks that define truly top quality in each of the major gem varieties, while striking down some of the industry’s misguided and outdated gemological concepts.

The author is well-versed in early gem history. Wise examines the hierarchy of precious gems in biblical times and how different that view is today. In later chapters he examines issues such as preciousness redefined, beauty versus origin and rethinking the way we grade quality. He also applies the criteria presented in the book to “special cases” or the phenomenal gems. Comprising the bulk of the book are mini gem profiles of the numerous colored gems and diamonds. This section makes a good reference tool as it lists out the important data including history, sources, colors, common enhancements and other pertinent information about major gems varieties. The sections on aristocratic agates and fancy colored diamonds were particular favorites of this reviewer.

Secrets of the Gem Trade is a detailed text that identifies for readers the critical points to evaluating and appreciating gemstones from the perspective of a fine gem connoisseur. In this book, the author dissects the fine nuances that separate the very good from the very best gems. Wise is successful in laying out his logical approach to understanding the specific criteria of quality and gem appreciation. Secrets of the Gem Trade is written for anyone that wants to understand the finer points of gemstone appreciation.

In addition to his work as a contributing editor to many of the industries top trade publications, Richard Wise is also an accomplished goldsmith. His passion for fine gemstones–in particular colored stones–is made apparent in this book. Wise brings a fresh and new approach to understanding the true beauty and value of gemstones. His respect for and love of the classic origins and early gem traders is evident.

However, the true gift of this book is the author’s detailed explanation of the quality setting traits–presented by gem species–that, in effect, rank the various qualities of any given gem variety. Secrets of The Gem Trade, unlike any other book I have read to date, unmasks the true criteria that expert gem dealers and collectors rely on for judging the quality of gem materials. The author’s bold approach challenges some of the basic issues that are currently taught in gemology courses. For example, Wise questions the logic of including carat weight as one of the four “C’s” because, after all, weight has nothing to do with quality! Although he appreciates the role that carat weight plays in a stone’s rarity, Wise persuasively argues from the perspective of the connoisseur that beauty is the ultimate criterion and rarity is a secondary concern. Wise suggests that a greater awareness be made of what he terms the true fourth “C”–crystal, substituting crystal (diaphaneity) for carat weight in the popular scheme of clarity, color, cut and carat weight. I found this to be an intriguing concept and hoped for more on this subject.

Wise brings a balanced approach to understanding the beauty in a gemstone. In chapter three, Rethinking the four C’s, he states, “Beauty is a question of balance. Color, Clarity, Cut and Crystal are the four factors–abstractions, really–that are used to analyze and discuss the beauty of a gemstone. None of these criteria is sufficient in itself to make a beautiful gem. All four are necessary conditions, without which the stone will simply not make the grade.”

The book is illustrated with fine photography from top gem photographers including Hammid, Scovil and the Van Pelts. The photos serve as an effective, if not necessary, aid illustrating the critical points that the author uses in evaluating gems. Specific color benchmarks are given for each of the major gem varieties discussed, with gamut limits expressed in color science nomenclature. The author also further categorizes each gem by noting whether it is a “daystone” or “nightstone”–terminology developed by author to describe whether the stone appears its best in daylight or incandescent light.

In general, the layout of the book and balance of photographs to text made for comfortable reading. The author’s writing style and command of the subject matter keeps the reader captivated. I highly recommend Secrets of the Gem Trade for anyone that has an appreciation for fine gems and a fascination in what makes them so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results