shape
carat
color
clarity

Secondhand jewellery stores in London - recommendations please?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny, thank you so much once again. I've done a lot of these already since I lived in the UK for 17 years before moving to Asia. But there are still many I haven't done and many new things too. I look forward to doing/ seeing them.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix if you’re bringing bling, I wouldn’t walk around wearing it. It’s not that London is any less safe than anywhere else, but as a woman on your own, you’re more vulnerable. As you know, the trick is to not look like a tourist, plan your routes before you set out, know which trains etc. you need to take so you don’t have to stop to look at your phone or maps.

When we were in Miami recently, I put Bella and Marilyn in small pouches and put them in a zipped pocket in my trousers while we were out and about.

I do wear my bling on the underground, but turn them round, or wear gloves, but then I’m with DH, so feel less vulnerable.

I’m sure you’ll have a fabulous time here, but as @OoohShiny says, I think you’ll notice a lot of changes since your last visit.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix if you’re bringing bling, I wouldn’t walk around wearing it. It’s not that London is any less safe than anywhere else, but as a woman on your own, you’re more vulnerable. As you know, the trick is to not look like a tourist, plan your routes before you set out, know which trains etc. you need to take so you don’t have to stop to look at your phone or maps.

When we were in Miami recently, I put Bella and Marilyn in small pouches and put them in a zipped pocket in my trousers while we were out and about.

I do wear my bling on the underground, but turn them round, or wear gloves, but then I’m with DH, so feel less vulnerable.

I’m sure you’ll have a fabulous time here, but as @OoohShiny says, I think you’ll notice a lot of changes since your last visit.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm really unsure about what bling to bring now. I was thinking my 4.6ctw BGD studs, Cartier pave Love bracelet and my Patek Philippe watch. Is that too much? Initially, was thinking of bringing the pear ring but now am not so sure, bc my fingers will be exposed whereas my arms & wrists will be covered up and my hair will be down. Maybe I could still bring my pear but put it in my handbag while I am out and about. But then, I still haven't decided which handbag to bring. I only have Hermes and Chanel now. It'd be ridiculous to buy a new handbag just for the trip. Or maybe I'll just get something inexpensive like a small Longchamp.

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it could be worth checking your insurance before you decide anything - it might be that a ring is only insured if it's on your finger or in a (home/hotel) safe, in which case having it in your bag risks non-coverage in a situation where your bag is no longer with you for any reason.

If it is covered in a hotel safe, then you could bring your bling but keep it locked up until/unless you're going to posh dinner or posh shopping - at other times, like when you're just sightseeing, just dress (down/modestly) to blend in and leave anything that 'signals' money back at the hotel!

For example, if you're walking round London in a pair of hiking boots or tatty, comfortable trainers, wearing non-label comfy/baggy jeans or cargo pants, and a waterproof jacket over the top of an 'old favourite' chunky knit jumper with no labels, I would image you would look like any other tourist and stand out a lot less (and therefore reduce any risk of being seen as a target) than if you're striding out in a pair of Louboutin killer heels, a Hermes handbag, enormous Gucci sunglasses and a sea of sparkles :D lol

It could even be worth turning up to the hotel 'dressed down' - I'm sure all would be fine either way, but potentially having staff talking about 'the size of that rock on that woman in room 17!' could increase risk of awareness amongst ne'er-do-wells hiding their true intent while working somewhere nice!

EDIT: I do hate that we have to think about these things - it is a shame that we can't just have nice things and not have people try to acquire them :(

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely bring a cross body bag @Phoenix, anything that’s carried or on your shoulder, could be whipped off. You can then put it on under a coat/jacket.

As @OoohShiny says, check your insurance, mine is covered if ‘it’s on my person’ which technically it was ,in my pocket - in a bag, I’m not sure that would count.

Anything that can be covered by clothing or your hair should be fine. It’s a sad reflection on the world today that we have to think about such things, but that is life, and it’s not worth the risk.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it could be worth checking your insurance before you decide anything - it might be that a ring is only insured if it's on your finger or in a (home/hotel) safe, in which case having it in your bag risks non-coverage in a situation where your bag is no longer with you for any reason.

If it is covered in a hotel safe, then you could bring your bling but keep it locked up until/unless you're going to posh dinner or posh shopping - at other times, like when you're just sightseeing, just dress (down/modestly) to blend in and leave anything that 'signals' money back at the hotel!

For example, if you're walking round London in a pair of hiking boots or tatty, comfortable trainers, wearing non-label comfy/baggy jeans or cargo pants, and a waterproof jacket over the top of an 'old favourite' chunky knit jumper with no labels, I would image you would look like any other tourist and stand out a lot less (and therefore reduce any risk of being seen as a target) than if you're striding out in a pair of Louboutin killer heels, a Hermes handbag, enormous Gucci sunglasses and a sea of sparkles :D lol

It could even be worth turning up to the hotel 'dressed down' - I'm sure all would be fine either way, but potentially having staff talking about 'the size of that rock on that woman in room 17!' could increase risk of awareness amongst ne'er-do-wells hiding their true intent while working somewhere nice!

EDIT: I do hate that we have to think about these things - it is a shame that we can't just have nice things and not have people try to acquire them :(

You're too funny!:lol: I don't even own a single pair of Louboutin's.

I've checked my insurance policy. My items are either covered under All Risks or Home Contents, either of which should cover me for any theft/loss/damage. I'm not only concerned about the loss of material items but also, more so in fact, about personal safety. Very wise words you've said and I shall bear them all in mind.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely bring a cross body bag @Phoenix, anything that’s carried or on your shoulder, could be whipped off. You can then put it on under a coat/jacket.

As @OoohShiny says, check your insurance, mine is covered if ‘it’s on my person’ which technically it was ,in my pocket - in a bag, I’m not sure that would count.

Anything that can be covered by clothing or your hair should be fine. It’s a sad reflection on the world today that we have to think about such things, but that is life, and it’s not worth the risk.

All noted and heeded. Thank you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're too funny!:lol: I don't even own a single pair of Louboutin's.

I've checked my insurance policy. My items are either covered under All Risks or Home Contents, either of which should cover me for any theft/loss/damage. I'm not only concerned about the loss of material items but also, more so in fact, about personal safety. Very wise words you've said and I shall bear them all in mind.

Thank you.
Shouldn't you be remedying the Louboutin situation? ;-) :lol: lol

To ask questions to make doubly sure - it's All Risks, Worldwide, to any value? And/or they're declared to their replacement value and noted / evidenced as separate items on the policy?

I would hate to assume all is well then lose something in another country and find out it's either not covered at all, or covered but only to a tiny fraction of its value!

Insurance always do everything the can to avoid paying out... :rolleyes: lol

In terms of personal safety, I think you should be just fine. As long as you're not walking around Social Housing estates after dark on your own :lol: London is generally very safe! There is a focus on increasing knife crime and acid attacks and moped-related/-aided crime, but random attacks are just that and we can do nothing about it other than to be aware of our surroundings, be sensible, and know what to do if the worst happens. Walking confidently always helps, as does not standing out too much in areas you don't know, not flashing expensive stuff/phones around if possible, and trusting your gut feelings, I reckon.

I can't wait to see what you think of the place and how it's changed, it's a world away from even 10 years ago!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
What happened to good old London!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same as every major city @AV_ :(2

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The V&A makes a living of showing off such things - the standard for local public use, I thought .)

@Austina

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shouldn't you be remedying the Louboutin situation? ;-) :lol: lol

To ask questions to make doubly sure - it's All Risks, Worldwide, to any value? And/or they're declared to their replacement value and noted / evidenced as separate items on the policy?

I would hate to assume all is well then lose something in another country and find out it's either not covered at all, or covered but only to a tiny fraction of its value!

Insurance always do everything the can to avoid paying out... :rolleyes: lol

In terms of personal safety, I think you should be just fine. As long as you're not walking around Social Housing estates after dark on your own :lol: London is generally very safe! There is a focus on increasing knife crime and acid attacks and moped-related/-aided crime, but random attacks are just that and we can do nothing about it other than to be aware of our surroundings, be sensible, and know what to do if the worst happens. Walking confidently always helps, as does not standing out too much in areas you don't know, not flashing expensive stuff/phones around if possible, and trusting your gut feelings, I reckon.

I can't wait to see what you think of the place and how it's changed, it's a world away from even 10 years ago!

Lol!:lol:

I shall check everything and heed your advice. Thank you so much, once again.:))

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know you asked fro secondhand places, and I would say train it down to Brighton for that. But this place in London turns out exceptional quality work. They are both nice down to earth people ( His wife works with him) https://www.davidmarshalllondon.com/

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you asked fro secondhand places, and I would say train it down to Brighton for that. But this place in London turns out exceptional quality work. They are both nice down to earth people ( His wife works with him) https://www.davidmarshalllondon.com/

Brighton? Where in Brighton please?

Just had a look at that website. They have some nice pretties there.

Thank you.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brighton is on the South coast @Phoenix , there’s an area called The Lanes famous for its jewellery shops. Don’t know if there are bargains to be had, it’s years since I’ve looked. I think it’s an hour or so on the train from Victoria station (that’s if they haven’t changed it), but easily doable in a day.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to Brighton - it originally grew in size because it became a place London society escaped to for the weekend, with fresh air and an invigorating dip in the sea :) and the railway helped this happen because it made it so easy to get to.

It feels quite a relaxed place to me - very eclectic, tolerant (a large gay community), and a nudist beach if you are so inclined... lol

It has some traditional British seaside problems (areas of deprivation, graffiti, seasonal businesses) but it is worth a visit. The victorian pavilion is interesting in itself!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brighton is on the South coast @Phoenix , there’s an area called The Lanes famous for its jewellery shops. Don’t know if there are bargains to be had, it’s years since I’ve looked. I think it’s an hour or so on the train from Victoria station (that’s if they haven’t changed it), but easily doable in a day.

I meant where in Brighton to look for bling, lol. I've been to Brighton quite a few times, mostly when I was a kid.

Thank you.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix there are two shops that have reasonable prices to start with, and amiable owners; let me dig around this weekend through my box of business cards and quotes from jewelers. However it's more for antiques than Brand pieces. I simply enjoy wandering the Lanes and have it narrowed down to marching into each shop and asking for diamonds in the range of x carats, x clarity or higher, x colour or higher. That way you don't become exhausted looking at everything.

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
I've lived in the UK for 19 years and have only been to about 1/3 of these shops.... What a fantastic list! Thank you all for the info, and thanks for asking the question, phoenix!

My two cents (well, pence) on the beautiful pear is to bring it and keep it on your finger, just turning the stone to face your palm on the underground if you feel like that's necessary. I think jewellery is much more at risk as soon as it comes off your hand, especially in a public place. Don't walk down any dark alleys, obviously, but I've seen some glorious pieces on the tube in the last few years.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I've bought two pairs of earrings from John Joseph, and agree with what was said about them earlier - didn't know you were supposed to negotiate though - so much for being the aggressive American ;)2. Oh well, no wonder they were so happy to see me the second time. Grey's in general I think is worth a walk around. You never know when you'll stumble across a bargain. I've also had some work done on existing jewellery by Bentley & Skinner - lovely, very old-fashioned service, and I've been happy to entrust valuables to them for repair and remodelling, but I wouldn't go there to buy. Some lovely pieces to gawk at though. I agree that Breganza is uninspiring, and, in fact, have never seen much of interest around Hatton Gardens (although I can recommend an extremely good restaurant in the area - Anglo).

Maybe I'm weirdly oblivious, but I've been walking around central London for 16 years, on and off of buses and tubes etc. in whatever jewellery I feel like wearing (including my 2.75 Tiffany legacy or 2.25 oec Emilya) without ever giving it much thought and can't think of a time I've felt threatened or uncomfortable. I do a lot of volunteer work with a foundation that takes me to some of the most deprived housing estates in London and I don't generally wear a huge amount of bling there, mostly because it seems insensitive, but honestly, I look like a fairly well-heeled middle-aged, middle-class woman no matter what I do or don't wear, and I really never feel afraid anywhere that isn't deserted.

That said, I don't spend much time in Covent Garden, tower of London or other very highly touristed places, so I don't know how much snatch and grab kind of crime there is. I'd be generally wary of clutching your bag too obviously, which I always thinks marks people out as tourists. And I think if you're using Waze or google maps for directions, it's not a bad idea to have an earbud so you can listen to the directions without it being obvious.

Have a great time and I hope we get to see some bling!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results