shape
carat
color
clarity

Second Job

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
In this day and age, is it wrong to take a second job if you don't need a second job?

By need I mean, all your bills are taken care of, you can afford all your necessities and have some, not a lot, but some, "fun" money.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would it be wrong? Unless it is taking (needed) time away from your family? Is it causing you to slack in other areas? I would say if the answer is no to these questions then go for it if you would enjoy this second job! Not everyone works because they need to...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't see why it would be wrong to take a second job. Are you thinking it might take away a job from someone who may really need one? If so, I see your point but I still don't see anything wrong with one person working even if they might not need to.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Of course it is okay! I think a lot of people work who don't have to, to get by.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No! There are PLENTY of part time jobs out there.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
... I sort of think the best-qualified person for the position will do the most good in it, from the perspective of the company. If that means that person earns more than "their" share of resources? Well, they are earning it. I wouldn't feel guilty about it. Leave the guilt to people who are "earning" their money by consciously cheating other people!

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
There's nothing wrong with it at all! I was holding 2 jobs + freelance jobs for about 3 years, my SO works late into the evenings so I would just do that to stay busy. My second job loved me so much, they offered me almost double what I was making at my day job, so in the end it was totally worth it (although I wasn't expecting anything to come of my second job). I still do freelance jobs on the side. As long as you're happy at the end of the day, I see nothing wrong.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I can't fault anyone for doing honest work. It's the people who rigged the financial system and benefited from its collapse at others' expense who are to blame, not anyone like you're describing.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can completely understand why you're asking - so many people have no work at all, is it fair and reasonable to take up a post that gives you the extras and the nicer life when someone else equally able for the job would maybe use that money for the necessities. I think it's a valid question. Not sure how much I would enjoy the extras if I had the slightest inkling that someone went hungry for want of the second job I took but didn't really need.

However, things are so precarious right now that I think a lot of people are thinking they need something to fall back on, a bit of a cushion. That might be extra money saved, or it might be a second income stream, and I can totally understand that too.

As someone with a second job, I am obviously in the position of having had to balance these factors. I don't think I'm a greedy person, and neither job is full time, so on balance, I don't think it's too selfish.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
You can share where your reservations are coming from. Essentially I feel if you are at a time and place where you would like to trade more of your leisure time for more financial assets, work skill sets for the future, or to explore an alternative industry/job without going "all in", any of those reasons (and a good number of other reasons besides) are compelling ones for taking up the job.

As for guilt on taking a job away from someone else... I don't think it is either selfish or warranted guilt. Same as how eating less or not wasting food won't feed the hungry... There are better solutions than feeling guilt. And I don't think this is one of those situations where the "it made a difference to that starfish" adage can come into play too.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
TristanC|1320286260|3052983 said:
You can share where your reservations are coming from. Essentially I feel if you are at a time and place where you would like to trade more of your leisure time for more financial assets, work skill sets for the future, or to explore an alternative industry/job without going "all in", any of those reasons (and a good number of other reasons besides) are compelling ones for taking up the job.

As for guilt on taking a job away from someone else... I don't think it is either selfish or warranted guilt. Same as how eating less or not wasting food won't feed the hungry... There are better solutions than feeling guilt. And I don't think this is one of those situations where the "it made a difference to that starfish" adage can come into play too.

+1

very well said on all points.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to pose a different hypothetical...would you willingly take a pay cut if it meant saving someone else's job at your company?

One example I have was back in 2008/2009....my former employer was hit hard by the recession, and came out and said to us: "Listen, our priority here is to make sure there will be no layoffs, but instead we will be cutting all end-of-year bonuses by 30% across the board."

While I felt like this was the right move given the culture of our organization, I know of people/places where they'd rather the company lay off a certain 10% than take any hit to their compensation....noone thinks they'd be the one getting the axe, I guess :/

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why would it be wrong? One consideration is the differences in taxes you'd be paying. Will your new job move you into another tax bracket?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1320427889|3053987 said:
Why would it be wrong? One consideration is the differences in taxes you'd be paying. Will your new job move you into another tax bracket?

Good quEstion! Would the second job be worth it in the end??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results