shape
carat
color
clarity

Second Fitting Today

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
So today was my second fitting. I was a little nervous to be honest because the bust of my dress had to be taken in quite a bit. I thought with the new "shape" (read: smaller chest :) that I might not like it as much. As it turns out, it was fine and I''m feeling very relieved.

But I have a question for you ladies who have already purchased your dresses: are you IN LOVE with your dress? I feel like many brides know when their dress is "the one" and love the way they look in their dress. And that''s fantastic--in fact, that''s how I WANT to feel.

I had fun dress shopping, but all in all I found it somewhat overwhelming and I was working on a tight deadline since we had a fairly short engagement, so I crammed all of my wedding dress shopping into a couple of days. I"d narrowed my options down to just a couple and ended up going with a mermaid style because 1. I didn''t want a poofy dress and 2. I have a boyish, muscular figure and the mermaid styles made me feel feminine.

I ordered it, then quickly started to doubt my decision. Then when it came in several months later I put it on and thought "yeah, this is pretty" and that''s been about it ever since. I think it''s pretty and I think it will look very nice in our setting, but I still have a nagging feeling that I should be positively IN LOVE with it. I don''t know, I honestly think I''d have a hard time loving anything that costs so much :)

Do any of you ladies feel the same way? At all? Do you go through stages where you''re not sure about your dress?

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
I havent doubted my purchase so far, and I don''t think I will. I LOVE my dress. Mind you, I LOVE other dresses I see in magazines and here on PS, but I know mine fits me perfectly and makes me look beautiful. If yours does that for you, then you picked a good one
2.gif

I had a short engagement too, and just happened to find a dress that i liked the first day of trying dresses on, but a few things were wrong with it (colour, size, price). Then, while on vacation the following day (we left for a long shopping trip, which is why i only went dress shopping once before) I found the same dress but with all the things that I wanted, and much cheaper! The right dress found me.

All that matters is that it makes you feel beautiful on your wedding day. That is why you''re buying it. If you think it does that for you, then it''s a keeper.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I like my dress, but I don''t know if I LOVE my dress. It''s a flattering fit, easy to move around in (which was important to me), and I love the shape and details. There''s really no reason for me not to love it. I guess it''s the fact that it doesn''t exactly match what I had imagined my wedding dress would look like that throws me. I never had the "this is THE ONE" feeling about the dress (I had a "Wow, this dress is so pretty" and "This is a really flattering dress" feeling... but no teary-eyed, emotional reaction to it), but I think once the dress is fitted properly I will feel more secure in my decision.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
don''t worry nicole, it''s normal to have dress doubt. no dress is PERFECT and if you have a personality which likes perfection/precision, it''s normal to question these sorts of thing.

if you hated your dress, that''d be a different story, but you''re just not 100% in love..and to me, that''s natural--I mean it''s a dress end of the day, and there were thousands to choose from--it''s too daunting to try to think if you found the exact ONE. there''s no reason to not believe there are several dresses which wouldn''ve looked amazing on you, and this is one of them.

i''ve questioned my dress a few times too..because in my head (while it was being altered over the months) i had imagined something perfect so once i tried it on again, i was like, hmm. it was also the 3rd dress i tried on before buying, so i didn''t shop around that much either. but over time, and after a couple more fittings i grew to love the dress again. plus it''s going to look more stunning when you have the makeup, hair, veil. i remember you describing your dress, i''m sure it''s perfect and don''t worry about the doubts! i wish i could see photos!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
ditto to janinegirly''s post.

there is so much pressure to find ''the one''
my dress is beautiful, but i am not convinced it''s "the one". i mean, there are so many beautiful gowns out there.
i''m sure several would have met all of my criteria, but frankly i stopped looking when i found one that just felt right.
i''m sure others would have as well.

also keep in mind, at least for me, as time gets closer there can be a tendency to second guess a lot of things.
i am now a 2 veil bride, and part of me wishes i was wearing a lighter dress because i''m so worried about sweating!

but hang in there, you''ll be fine

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I felt the same before my wedding. I really thought I would have the "a-ha!" moment but never reallly did. All of the dresses were so pretty and there were so many styles that I could have fallen for.

In the end, I picked one that had everything I wanted (slim line, no pouf, romantic lace, etc.) and nothing I didn''t. I picked the one that was most flattering to my figure and went on with it.

When I had my fittings, I still really liked it, but didn''t feel wow about it. I was really worried I would regret the dress choice. My mom and everyone else who saw it felt wow about it, though, and I have to say, the day of the wedding:

1. I loved it that day, it felt perfect and easy and exactly what I should be wearing.
2. I got so many compliments about the dress specifically.
3. It didn''t really matter, the ceremony and the guy were really what stood out from that day.

Some girls do have that moment where the find "the one" but I also suspect that those girls know exactly what type of dress they want, and the "one" is the best one and most flattering of that type. If I had only tried on dresses in my style, then my dress easily was the "one" of that group- my problem is I had "the one" in about 3 different dress styles.

All of this rambling really boils down to: I hear you, I was exactly there, and it ended up being the perfect dress.

So don''t worry, a glowing bride could make a t-shirt look amazing!!!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, gals, you ALL hit the nail on the head. There are so many pretty dresses and I just keep thinking "what if I''d kept looking?"

I''ve been thinking about it for a couple of days and I''ve decided to embrace and love the dress. I feel great in it, I think it''s pretty and besides, what''s worrying about it going to do?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who talks about ''retroactive choosing'' sometimes. She says that''s when you start to say ''what if? what if?'' and instead of thinking about all the things missed out on by making THIS choice, you focus on all the things you would have missed out on if you''d made a DIFFERENT choice. So instead of ''What if ''the one'' is out there?'' you think ''What if I hadn''t found this sumptuous fabric? THis great fit? This comfortable style? What if I hadn''t felt as beautiful as I do in this dress?''

Few things are ever perfect. Part of our happiness in life depends on how we CHOOSE to appreciate the things we have already chosen. Know what I mean?
35.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
don''t forget to add your name to the "brides in waiting list"..i think your wedding is just a day before mine! i can''t believe it''s less than 6 weeks! i have my final fitting tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results