shape
carat
color
clarity

Seborrheic dermatitis...help!

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So I'm 99% sure I have seborrheic dermatitis. I have scaly, flaky patches on my skin that are very red (under the scales) and can burn and/or itch. The area around my nose and mouth are most affected. I'm reasonably sure I have it because my DH has it although he has a flare up so rarely that he doesn't really have to do much to treat it. There is no cure, it's an ongoing condition that comes and goes. Flare ups can come as a result of stress, fatigue or season change (I believe this is the case for me). I've never had this (or any symptoms) before and it is killing me. Moisturizing doesn't help...nothing does. I'm at a loss so I made an appointment to see a dermatologist but can't get in until the 21st and I can't go on like this until then! I've had symptoms for over a week and it's getting worse. Has anyone had any success with anything over the counter? Home remedies? Anything??

I did order this today since it seemed to have pretty good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Noble-Formula-Pyrithione-Zinc-Soap/dp/B004R3TBEC

TIA! :))

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been using warmed organic honey and moringa powder as a mix to help my skin issues. The difference has been amazing. I make it like a mask and sit in the tub with it on otherwise it's a sticky mess.

Change of weather can also cause it. I never had any skin issues until I moved to Canada and now I have red flaky spots and went to the derm and got meds for it but I don't like using it. So I do this instead and it's helped quite a bit!

Here is some info about moringa. I use it for more than just a skin mask-it's great for many things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDSksjGNCA

I warm up 2Tbs honey + 1tsp of moringa and rub it on any problem areas. Massage it into my skin and relax in the tub. If you can scrub your face before using it-it works better.

Good luck. I hate having skin issues-esp when they itch and burn :knockout:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally went to the dermatologist and my Dr. prescribed me Clobetasol (also for scalp condition) and it works amazing (once or twice and everything back to normal)!!! unfortuntately before this, nothing worked too well so I had to wait for my appointment. If its painful, I would try and maybe but neosporin to help heal if its cracking first until the appointment (this was mostly on eczema on my arms, and neck). Good luck. I''ve had problems like this off and on since my college years and worse after having kids.

I did use protopic and cloderm for anything around my eyes and that took longer but worked as well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could also maybe be psoriasis.

I have SEB DERM myself and the cream I use is effectively friggin Jock Itch cream lol. Its some prescription lamisil someting I think. I don't use it often.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Vintage - thanks! I will try the honey/moringa powder tonight. Glad to hear that it has helped you.

D&T - Ugh, I hate to hear that nothing worked for you before your appointment. I have been to the ladies room 6 times this morning because I'm so self conscious that my skin is flaking. Thanks for telling me what did work for you, I'll ask the dermatologist about it when I go.

Ame - Thanks for your reply and the lamisil recommendation! I'm reasonably sure I do not have psoriasis. My mom has severe psoriasis so I'm pretty familiar with the condiditon.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need to make sure it's Lamisil but I remember buying the OTC version when I didn't want to deal with the pharmacy, especially after my dad picked it up and came in to tell me he's reasonably sure I was not born with balls.

I just remember thinking "ew, why am I putting ball cream on my face".

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1320861842|3057883 said:
I need to make sure it's Lamisil but I remember buying the OTC version when I didn't want to deal with the pharmacy, especially after my dad picked it up and came in to tell me he's reasonably sure I was not born with balls.

It was LOTRIMIN.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sebhorreic dermatis - it's so annoying! I have it on the back of my head under my hair - it does itch and burn. My doctor prescribed me selson blue (medicated) to use on it and it does help a lot. If you have it on your face though, I'm not sure you would want to use that - it stinks like sulfur. It's great for the scalp though. I'll be interested to see what your doctor or anyone else can say for remedies. Sorry you are dealing with this :((

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been lucky enough to not have it on my scalp but the lotrimin ball cream does not smell I don't think, nothing more than any other cream anyway. Usually it's on my collarbone/neckular region in the front and center on display area, and occasionally--usually in summer actually--I get it on my cheeks and on like...my smile lines if that makes sense.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Bwhahahahaha! Thanks for double checking and for the laugh Ame, I'll look for Lotrimin.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
violet3|1320874865|3058064 said:
I have sebhorreic dermatis - it's so annoying! I have it on the back of my head under my hair - it does itch and burn. My doctor prescribed me selson blue (medicated) to use on it and it does help a lot. If you have it on your face though, I'm not sure you would want to use that - it stinks like sulfur. It's great for the scalp though. I'll be interested to see what your doctor or anyone else can say for remedies. Sorry you are dealing with this :((

Thanks for chiming in Violet. It hasn't appeared in my scalp yet (that I can tell) but I'd take that over my face any day. I'll let you know that the dr. says.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ImperfectGirl|1320875830|3058085 said:

Bwhahahahaha! Thanks for double checking and for the laugh Ame, I'll look for Lotrimin.
That stuff is usually all together. It's like athletes foot/jock itch cream. A lot of the drugs for this particular condition are actually also antifungal. Does not make it sound any more appealing lol

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Extina foam (prescription) is really good. Depending on your insurance, though, it can be pretty expensive. The last time I tried to refill it, it was $350 WITH a discount card. I passed on that. Thankfully, it lasts a really long time, and my dermatologist gave me lots of samples.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1320857633|3057817 said:
It could also maybe be psoriasis.

I have SEB DERM myself and the cream I use is effectively friggin Jock Itch cream lol. Its some prescription lamisil someting I think. I don't use it often.

That or eczema. I have both in different areas of my body. The doc prescribed a steroid lotion that works wonders!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fi has psoriasis, which gets worse with stress, and I get eczema, which particularly flares up with stress as well. We've both found that adding fish oil caplet supplements into our regimen REALLY helps.

When I was particularly stressed, adding st. john's wart helped my anxiety which kept my skin check - don't know if it was a placebo effect or if it really was what was keeping me more even keeled, but it worked for me...

Also, sodium laureth sulfate (spelling?) free shampoo with tea tree doesn't exacerbate things for us (since shampoo also runs off our faces). We LOVE Giovanni's Tea tree triple treat, which can be found in drug stores, healthy grocery stores, and even at TJ Maxx or
Marshalls.

I found Cetaphil cream in the tub was soothing on the skin, especially when I was caught up in the itch-scratch cycle of my eczema. All other lotions and creams burned.

I hope you find relief!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
I use selsun blue medicated too (it run in my family in the scalp)...but i hate it! It wrecks my hair...!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haha. I have GA and it's patches of skin that looks like scar tissue and there is no cure. Ugh. I hate skin issues- but I did find that I have a very mild food allergy to wheat, peanuts, eggs, and shellfish- and avoiding these things have helped me not only slim down but my complexion and GA patches have significantly improved....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do eat a LOT less spice than I used to, and I don't really think it's changed tremendously. I have the worst onsets of it when I start using my retinoids again in the summer. The combination of more oil production plus heat is like a death knell for me. It's the worst on my neck, and I look like I have a serious issue going on. On my face it just looks ridiculous but thankfully isn't usually too long lived, because I slather the ball cream on and usually within a couple days it's significantly better. I did notice last summer my forehead ---RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT---started showing it, and I actually used ball cream up til my sister's wedding and it didn't work. Nor did cortisone. I put neosporin on it the night of the wedding (I know, conveniently timed for AFTER THE WEDDING, smooth!) and ended up scrubbing the whole thing off in the shower the next morning. It was like it came off in a sheet. So freakin weird. And pretty nasty.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The problem is actually below the top layer of skin, it's the cells below over-producing, which then flakes off the top.

I've had a lot of luck with Hydrocortisone Cream. It's available at your local drugstore, in 0.5% and 1.0% concentrations, under the name Cortaid or as a store brand.

Cortisone is actually an extremely powerful drug for just being a cream. It penetrates the dermis and will work down where the problem is, soothing the cells.

Try it morning and evening, and after every shower while the skin is still warm. The first time, it took me a week to make the flaking stop, but now it's only 2 applications and the flare-up goes away.

Almost everything skin-related can be solved with an antifungal (athlete's foot creams or yeast infection cream- same stuff :shock: ), an antibacterial (neosporin) or cortisone. Even a staph infection can be cured with Staphaseptic. Go spend $20 at the drugstore, and be prepared for anything!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results