shape
carat
color
clarity

Scott Kay or SP eternity band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Newbie here coming out of the shadows. And boy am I glad that found Pricescope. You guys ROCK (pun intended
2.gif
)!

Here is the deal. In honor of the hubby''s and my 10th wedding anniversary, I am going to add an eternity ring to my set. My set is very simple. I absolutely love it and would never update/change because it represents where we were 10 years ago... young and starting out. I currently wear my e-ring (a .50ct round solitaire set in four prongs on a thin band of yellow gold) and my wedding band (thin, yellow gold band just like my e-ring) all the time.

Anyway, this weekend I was at the mall and ventured into Bailey Banks & Biddle, you know, "just to try on a few rings." As to be expected, after trying on several rings, I totally fell in love with the simple elegance of a gorgeous eternity band by Scott Kay. It looked stunning between my wedding band and e-ring. It is very thin, just like my other rings and sparkled like crazy. It also made my solitaire look wonderful. And did I mention how sparkly it was?!?!?

After my trip to the mall, I immediately came home and hopped on to Pricescope to do a little research. And I found Signed Pieces/Facets. There is a gorgeous Facets eternity ring that is identical in size and carats to the Scott Kay. And it is literally half the price of the Scott Kay. Which is a HUGE difference!

So, what''s up with the Scott Kay being almost $2K while the Facets is half that? From what I have read here, the Facets rings are of top notch quality. Would there be any reason to go with the Scott Kay over Facets?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
With Scott Kay you''re paying for the designer name, etc.. SP offers the same quality diamonds for a fraction of the cost of a designer band. I love SP and have a few of them myself!!

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Here is the Scott Kay. The one I tried on was yellow gold.

Scott Kay Ring.jpg

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Here is the Facets. Again, it would be yellow gold. Am I looking at apples and apples here?!

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Oops, let me try that again with the photo actually uploaded...
37.gif

Facets Ring.jpg

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
i love scott kay designs. i actually met scott kay several years back when i worked for nordstrom fine jewelry (we carried his collection). he is a wonderful and sweet man. with all that said, i would personally pick SP over scott kay. why? just because of the price difference. i don''t want to pay all that extra premium for a ''brand''.

the diamonds in the eternity bands for SP are premium diamonds and i hear great reviews about their rings from people here. i don''t personally own one though. i''m currently working on an eternity band for myself, but through my jeweler. now i''m only doing that because he gets the stones loose for me and i get to sit there and loupe each one and choose myself, which is always fun!
9.gif
i mean there''s not much difference between the stones since they''re all ideal cut H&A stones, G color, VS clarity, but it''s still a blast to get to hand pick the stones that are going into my eternity band.
30.gif

btw, congrats on your 10 year anniversary!!
36.gif
you deserve such a beautiful treat!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pay 2k for an eternity band, even though it''s a brand name.

You want to make sure that the eternity band does not scratch your gold in your solitaire when it sits next to it.
38.gif

Whiteflash''s eternity rings do not have this problem and the diamonds are all superideal cut! I have one and I love it...it''s so sparkly and white. I highly recommend these two rings:

3/4 Eternity Band

and

Full Eternity

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture from their site:

EternityWF1111.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Joolskie, the sides of those two rings are different. Do you know which of the two you prefer? I recently got an eternity band from WF (which I love) and I asked for a custom profile view, as I don''t like the usual side view, like the SP one you posted. Here is mine:

78wband78.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a closeup of the little diamond melee from my Whiteflash eternity ring:

AAAAAAjelly.jpg

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I had actually not thought about the profile of the ring. I am not really all that worred about the scratching issue. My wedding band is rather thin (just about 2mm) and would work well inbetween. I actually started another thread that features a photo of my current set. I am so lost in all the choices now (1/2, 3/4, full) that I am looking for any an all suggestions!

This is such a great forum! I have really enjoyed reading the various threads. And boy have I learned A LOT!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get the SP ring and use the difference toward a new jewelry project!
11.gif

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
i have a signed pieces eternity ring and love it. i would guess that the signed pieces ring has better quality diamonds than the bbb ring, though i could be wrong.
many of mine have prominent arrows!!

alyson423

Rough_Rock
Hi- congratulations on your milestone anniversary!

I have an eternity band from Signed Pieces, and I love it. It''s a channel set sapphire band, and I''m definitely eyeing their prong-set diamond eternity bands.
27.gif
Whether you decide Scott Kay or SP, please do post pics when you''re done!
30.gif

I just wanted to mention that SP has a 30-day return policy on their rings, so that would give you a good amount of time to "kick the tires," so to speak, and test-drive an eternity band on your hand. For a 50% savings, I''d order it and see if it measures up to the Scott Kay. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one thing I haven''t seen mentioned is that you will want a setting that is as low as possible so that the eternity band doesn''t stick up and out farther than the other rings. You''ll need one that has the diamonds set very low. The Scott Kay looks that way. I think the Facets looks like it is thicker. But it can''t hurt to try it. You can send it back if it doesn''t fit with your rings as well as the other one. Memoire is also more than Facets, but they set their diamonds really low, too.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
It is funny that you mention that DiamondSeeker2006. I just spoke with Katy at WF. I had emailed an inquiry and a photo of my current set. The designers at WF suggested that with my set, their halo band would work well because it is low in profile. Here is my set. The WF halo is $1,125. Still quite a difference from the $1900 Scott Kay. Anyone have any other suggestions?!?!?

ring_pix_ii.jpg

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Here is the WF halo, which they would do in yellow gold.

gi_WF-4016_t.jpg

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
And a side view of the halo...

gi_WF-4016_f.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, that was great that they suggested this one! With thin rings you really need a low set band. The WF one looks great and is a much better price!

anacgarcia

Shiny_Rock
I have a ScottKay e-ring and thanx to pricescope I won''t buy the matching band, I wouldn''t have chosen the scottkay setting either if I''d known pricescope before.. I LOVE my e-ring but (NOW) I know I could''ve found an equally beautiful setting for half of the price my FI paid..

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The WF halo ring has a totally different look than the SP shared prong. I think you just have to decide what look you are going for.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I like the scott kay the best of the ones posted, because I like the smooth sides. I wouldn''t want to pay $2K for it (in gold! steep!) Do any pricescope vendors carry Scott Kay - I think Pearlmans does - maybe they can get you a better price! You could also contact Signed Pieces and see if they have anything similar - they have such a variety of styles there, I bet they could help you find something low set. I don''t care for the profile view of the signed pieces shared prong that you posted, but so many people have it and love it. It probably looks better in person.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Ugh. I am totally obsessing over the Scott Kay. Damn camera phone. I keep gazing longingly at the photo of my set with the Scott Kay band. They make a really nice trio. If my husband only knew how much I have been staring at that phone photo.
2.gif

I think that I am going to exhaust some more avenues and contact Pearlman''s regarding the Scott Kay. I want to do as much research as possible before deciding what to do...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 6:55:06 PM
Author: anacgarcia
I have a ScottKay e-ring and thanx to pricescope I won''t buy the matching band, I wouldn''t have chosen the scottkay setting either if I''d known pricescope before.. I LOVE my e-ring but (NOW) I know I could''ve found an equally beautiful setting for half of the price my FI paid..

anagarcia, Scott Kay makes a wonderful high quality product. sure, you paid some for the name but to me it''s worth it. if you love the setting, don''t worry about what type of deal you might have gotten. also, you very well might not be comparing apple settings to apple settings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 2:15:23 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 11/28/2006 6:55:06 PM
Author: anacgarcia

anagarcia, Scott Kay makes a wonderful high quality product. sure, you paid some for the name but to me it''s worth it. if you love the setting, don''t worry about what type of deal you might have gotten. also, you very well might not be comparing apple settings to apple settings.
MrsS and I can totally confirm that it is NOT easy to find a setting period..so if you found one you love and it''s Scott Kay, that terrific!!!

I think the major key is to always try to get the brand name at a discount whenever possible.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I agree. If I cannot find something that I like as much as the Scott Kay, the mission becomes one of finding the best price. Well-established designers have reputations and mark-ups for a reason... they make beautiful jewelry. If you love your e-ring and it is a Scott Kay design, then that is that. It is the one for you!! Same will go for my eternity band.

1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 3:43:15 PM
Author: Joolskie
I agree. If I cannot find something that I like as much as the Scott Kay, the mission becomes one of finding the best price. Well-established designers have reputations and mark-ups for a reason... they make beautiful jewelry. If you love your e-ring and it is a Scott Kay design, then that is that. It is the one for you!! Same will go for my eternity band.

1.gif

joolskie, have you tried contacting
Pearlmans for a quote on the scott kay. I have found his prices are lower on designer settings than other store who carry them. It would be worth a shot??

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I sent an email to Pearlman''s inquiring as the Scott Kay ring is on the web site. Of course, I am getting impatient. But I am on the east coast where it is now quittin'' time and I can officially stop working. Still got a couple of hours of daylight left out in Michigan where Pearlman''s is located. LOL!!

I''ll let you guys know what I find out. The more I hunt around tying to find alternatives, the more I would like to just go with the Scott Kay. It was just "perfect" you know what I mean?!? Although, I have been impressed by the folks at WF. I inquired about the shared prong and they suggested a different ring that they felt would look better with my set. I liked that. But, the Scott Kay and the WF design are different. I am waiting to hear back from WF regarding the differences.

And so I wait...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 5:41:01 PM
Author: Joolskie
I sent an email to Pearlman''s inquiring as the Scott Kay ring is on the web site. Of course, I am getting impatient. But I am on the east coast where it is now quittin'' time and I can officially stop working. Still got a couple of hours of daylight left out in Michigan where Pearlman''s is located. LOL!!

well, they are always pretty quick to get back with you. If you don''t hear something I''d try calling, this is such a busy time of year for the jewelry folks.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Well, I stopped in a local B&M this morning. My goal was to have my finger sized and to inquire about having my current set resized. It turns out that I do need to resize up a 1/2 size.

While I was there, I looked at some rings with the owner. I tried on a gorgeous channel set half-eternity. It looked perfect with my set. And here I thought that I was not that into channel sets. It is .50tcw and the diamonds are E S1. This ring sparkles like crazy and the stones are so clear. It also enhances my solitaire instead of overpowering it. And because it is not a full eternity or a pave, I feel more comfortable that it could actually take the on the rigors of daily wear. I have worn my set day and night for 10 years. I do dishes. I clean my house. I *gasp* put on hand lotion. All with my rings on. And my solitaire is still a stunner. This channel set half-eternity really seemed like it could take a beating and still keep sparkling.

Anyway, I was quoted a price of $1,160. Much less than the Scott Kay for the same tcw. And, I must admit, this B&M is the kind of place I like to support. It is a 70-year-old family owned and operated business. I worked with the founder's grandson and the grandson's mother. And they aren't charging me to resize my current rings.

This is a tough one. I have been extrememly impressed with the customer service offered by WF. Katie with WF has responded to several questions and has made suggestions. Alas, I was also impressed with the customer service offered to me this morning. While I am a price-driven shopper, I am more so a service-driven shopper. Make me feel like the queen that I am while offering quality products and I am yours.

Ugh. So many gorgeous rings... and not enough money to buy 'em all!

9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results