shape
carat
color
clarity

Scarlet Fever?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought Scarlet Fever was one of those illnesses we just don''t see anymore! Turns out James has all of the symptoms and is on antibiotics. He can''t go back to school for a week till he feels better.

Here is a lovely photo of his sore tongue!

jamestonguesore.jpg

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Poor wee lovey! He''s still exceptionally cute, though. Wishing him a speedy recovery and as mild a bought of this as possible.

I had scarlet fever about three years ago. With antibiotics, it wasn''t too bad. I felt very feverish, with hot sweats and chills, aching limbs and headache for a couple of days, then the rash appeared, and I felt a lot better, although not marvelous! The rash has a texture like sandpaper, so it doesn''t have spots to scratch and scar, like chickenpox. It isn''t too uncomfortable. Calamine lotion or similar is helpful.

I was told to watch out for any spikes in temperature, higher fever returning after the first few days and to have plenty fluids. Oh, and to try eating as normally as possible.

I had no complications and I felt fine about 8 days after the first symptoms. I went back to work in just under two weeks.

Embarassingly, I''d had a spray tan on the first day of symptoms, in the morning before I started to feel sick - when the rash appeared the next day, I phoned to complain...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say this is one of my favourite photos of James to date. He just looks so cute! I will keep an eye on his temperature. He is happy to eat which surprises me. Normally when he is sick he refuses anything. He is singing a lot so I don''t think his throat is too bad at the minute.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I don''t remember having a terribly sore throat, just the odd tongue rash.

It is a ridiculously cute picture. He''s adorable, give him a get-well hug for me.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Poor little lamb! I didn''t realize that Scarlet fever was still something you could get. I hope he feels better soon. He looks darn cute, even if he is sick.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a cutie James is! I hope he gets better fast!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poor James, but so cute!

I got SF repeatedly as a child. It''d start as strep throat and before my mother even realized I had it and could get me on antibiotics it''d turn into SF. I''m SO lucky to not have had any lasting effects from it. SF can be very very scary and serious due to the high temp it causes. As in so high a temp that you can lose your hearing from it. I''m sure that''s doing a lot to easy your mind. LOL. Just keep an eye on him and dose with tylenol/give luke warm baths if he gets hot. Don''t give him anything containing aspirin (ibuprophen/naproxen (Aleve), etc) though as it can cause Reyes syndrome.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will keep a good eye on him HH. I think the worst symptoms are over. He has been unwell for a few days already. He seems happy enough sitting over there on the PS3 playing Sonic
9.gif

I hate stuff like this. It is scary!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
A very good friend of mine and her family were struck by this recently. Hope he feels better!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TG. Why don''t I know that its still possible to catch this? I don''t know anyone who has had this before today.
33.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
poor little James! I hope he feels better soon

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of healing dust to that sweetie!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie, it''s because it''s usually a secondary infection to something else, like the strep throat I used to get. Usually it''s caught and treated before it morphs into full blown SF. it''s just a continuation or escalation of an existing infection. But you mentioned the doc thought it was a virus that mimicked SF, right? So that would appear out of nowhere then versus coming after another infection.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
That''s such a cute picture of him, Maisie (although I know that''s not why you put it up here)! I do hope he feels better soon.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:31:47 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Maisie, it''s because it''s usually a secondary infection to something else, like the strep throat I used to get. Usually it''s caught and treated before it morphs into full blown SF. it''s just a continuation or escalation of an existing infection. But you mentioned the doc thought it was a virus that mimicked SF, right? So that would appear out of nowhere then versus coming after another infection.
Yes I get you now. He was poorly anyway. So does that mean he is going to get a lot worse now?
7.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not necessarily, just keep an eye on his fever.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 11:44:44 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Poor James, but so cute!

I got SF repeatedly as a child. It''d start as strep throat and before my mother even realized I had it and could get me on antibiotics it''d turn into SF. I''m SO lucky to not have had any lasting effects from it. SF can be very very scary and serious due to the high temp it causes. As in so high a temp that you can lose your hearing from it. I''m sure that''s doing a lot to easy your mind. LOL. Just keep an eye on him and dose withtylenol/give luke warm baths if he gets hot. Don''t give him anything containing aspirin (ibuprophen/naproxen (Aleve), etc) though as it can cause Reyes syndrome.
That''s Calpol to you Maisie.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I has this when I was a kid ~1983, and at the time my whole family had the flu....I have never had the flu and just got my first flu shot ever this year (b/c SIL was prego and her Dr said the family had to)....maybe its a coincidence?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t heard of any of my friend''s kids getting this, but I got it when I was a child, 104 degree fever for 3 days. In addition to typical medication and pain relievers my parents put me in cool baths to try to get the temperature down. It was pretty surreal, those 3 days were a blur, but on the 4th day my fever broke. I still remember it with clarity. It was night time and everyone was asleep. I walked downstairs and everything was bathed in a blue gray light and completely quiet.

I hope he gets through it quickly and has no complications!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a cutie, red tongue and all! I was surprised to hear that -- I didn''t think you could really get SF anymore. I hope James feels better soon, Maisie!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind words everyone. James has had quite a good day considering. He is in bed now and fast asleep. Hoping tomorrow is a good day too!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Scarlet fever is basically an atypical presentation of strep throat (without the sore throat sometimes). They are caused by the same bacteria. We treat it, but the ones who get this illness are usually small children. Children under 3 rarely get the complications from strep throat (aka rheumatic fever - which is when your body mistakes your heart and several other organs for strep and attacks them). The symptoms usually self resolve, the main reason why they are treated is to stop it from spreading to others and to shorten the duration.

Small children can also have diaper rashes caused by Group A strep. Also I have seen several 3 to 4 year olds come in with 4 days of fever and severe vomiting. If I see a kid with vomiting and enlarged tonsils, I always strep test them, as that is another way it can present. Basically when it comes to small children group A strep can present all sorts of different ways.

I usually see about 1-2 cases of scarlet fever a year. I have seen 2 this season. Not very common, but it exists.

I hope you little guy gets better soon!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 6:56:38 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Scarlet fever is basically an atypical presentation of strep throat (without the sore throat sometimes). They are caused by the same bacteria. We treat it, but the ones who get this illness are usually small children. Children under 3 rarely get the complications from strep throat (aka rheumatic fever - which is when your body mistakes your heart and several other organs for strep and attacks them). The symptoms usually self resolve, the main reason why they are treated is to stop it from spreading to others and to shorten the duration.

Small children can also have diaper rashes caused by Group A strep. Also I have seen several 3 to 4 year olds come in with 4 days of fever and severe vomiting. If I see a kid with vomiting and enlarged tonsils, I always strep test them, as that is another way it can present. Basically when it comes to small children group A strep can present all sorts of different ways.

I usually see about 1-2 cases of scarlet fever a year. I have seen 2 this season. Not very common, but it exists.

I hope you little guy gets better soon!
Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate that. James did vomit about a week ago but I don''t know if that is connected. He was sick for about two days. Then he went to school and started with the temp and feeling unwell. Then the spots started and the tongue thing.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That picture is amazing! I love it.

I had Scarlet Fever as a young girl. I remember my mother telling people "it''s strep throat with a rash" when they responded with shock and fear upon hearing what I had.

I hope he feels better soon!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Maisie,

How is James today?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results