shape
carat
color
clarity

Scared of eternity...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the title catch your eye?

I really want a scattered diamond band as a ring to mark the birth of my second son. But I am hesitant to get a ring than cannot be sized! It would break my heart to sell the ring if I couldn't wear it one day. Thoughts?

I also thought of a gold band with milgrain, as it is something I have always wanted, but does it have similar sizing issues due to the milgrain??

Would it be lame to have a simple gold band as a commemorative ring? At least I could resize it ;-)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think you can get a small sizing band designed into the back of the ring. It is just a plain metal section. Maybe some people can post pictures of their sizing bands?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what about a scattered 1/2 or 3/4 eternity?

also congratulations on the little one :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think because of the way the stones are set you cannot resize it without ruining the ring.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer D I am right there with you. If I wasn't worried about the same thing I'd own one myself. They are so gorgeous though.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Dreamer -- Congrats on the birth of your son!

As you know, I bought a scattered band and end up having to sell it because I lost weight. But I lost a lot of weight (40 pounds) and my scattered band ended up being about a size too big. My fingers fluctuate about a half-size from summer to winter, so even when my weight is stable, I have sizing issues. A friend of mine made me a wide, sterling-silver band, which I love, but because of the width, I was really concerned about sizing. She added sizing beads and they work like a charm. And even though they look like little torture devices inside the ring, you can't feel them. Seriously, I wish I would have thought of this earlier -- they might have worked with my scattered band. I think sizing beads can be added after the ring has been made, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it might be worth talking to WF about this. You could order the band a bit larger than your current size and ask them to add a few sizing beads. They can always be removed if you want the ring to be larger at a later date.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My suggestion would be to see if you can try a ring with sizing beads on. I found them very uncomfortable and ended up having them removed. I hope that they work for you so that you can get the scattered band. They are gorgeous!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand what you are saying, I have a scatter band and while I do love it, I would like for it to be about 1/4 to 1/2 size bigger, but I cant get it sized, so I just end up not wearing it because it is a smidge tight and it is a little wider then I want (4mm) and am now considering selling it....but you could do what everyone else was stating get it a little bigger with sizing beads, congrats on the new baby.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1310787224|2970194 said:
I think you can get a small sizing band designed into the back of the ring. It is just a plain metal section. Maybe some people can post pictures of their sizing bands?

First, congrats on the baby! How exciting! :appl:

I was going to say the same as pregcurious. Why not go with a full eternity if thats what you want and keep a small sizing bar in the back so that you could resize in the future? Or I'd go with a 1/2 or 3/4. Cant wait to hear what you decide.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1310787224|2970194 said:

This won't work with the way the stones are set in the ring unfortunately. It can be szed about 1/4 size by shaving/adding metal to the inside of the ring, though. But that is not enough assurance for me!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lula|1310817663|2970309 said:
Hi, Dreamer -- Congrats on the birth of your son!

As you know, I bought a scattered band and end up having to sell it because I lost weight. But I lost a lot of weight (40 pounds) and my scattered band ended up being about a size too big. My fingers fluctuate about a half-size from summer to winter, so even when my weight is stable, I have sizing issues. A friend of mine made me a wide, sterling-silver band, which I love, but because of the width, I was really concerned about sizing. She added sizing beads and they work like a charm. And even though they look like little torture devices inside the ring, you can't feel them. Seriously, I wish I would have thought of this earlier -- they might have worked with my scattered band. I think sizing beads can be added after the ring has been made, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it might be worth talking to WF about this. You could order the band a bit larger than your current size and ask them to add a few sizing beads. They can always be removed if you want the ring to be larger at a later date.

There is a thought. Not sure I want to monkey around with such things though. My ring size also fluctuates a fair bit with the weather, my salt intake. And right now my fingers are bigger because of post-pregnancy wight/whatever. I actually am wondering if they will go back to my pre-pregnancy size this time! And I have a lot of weight to lose. All this combined means bad time to buy a ring that can't be sized. And I don't really want to wait until I know my ring size, ya know? A non-sizable ring is just too uncertain I think.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear ya!!! I have the Tiffany etoile band and my knuckle got injured and I really have to soap it up to get it on now - and it's been months! My thin eternity bands I can still work over my knuckle pretty well. I would suggest getting an eternity 3/4 size bigger - spinning won't matter, but it gives you some room.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A scattered band can be sized larger or smaller. The space between a couple diamonds will be changed a bit. If enough space is created by going larger one could add another diamond. If one goes smaller, every stone will need to be checked for tightness and in one place the spacing might be off a bit.

Millegrain can be redone so that sizing cannot be seen due to some major millegrain aberration. It may have a slight dip or twist, but it is basically a finish which can be produced after sizing.

An eternity ring poses sizing problems, but most styles can be sized up or down if you have the money and the patience to see a bit of a blip somewhere on the sides of some of the rings, such as channel, which is really difficult to completely hide. If you want it "perfect" very few rings can be sized invisibly and eternity rings rank high in difficulty to make sizing them visibly perfect. Very good is okay, but perfect is often not possible.

Just like there are excellent appraisers, pretty good appraisers, and average appraisers, the jewelry business has various levels of jewelry alteration types who practice at different levels of competance. You have to seek out those who can do what others want to avoid or claim can't be done.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
so...3 stone??

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait until your fingers reach whatever size they are meant to be post pregnancy....i know it stinks to have to wait, but in the end you'll have something you can wear forever. Are you planning on more kids????

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three-stone is in the future for sure, perhaps for the 5th anniversary, but right now I have a tight budget. I also find now that Ryder is here, I want a ring to represent him too, that I can stack with the ring I got when Hunter was born.

More kids... most likey not. But we have not closed the door on the possibility.

Oldminer whiteflash will not do an alteration/resize like you describe so I would need to find another jeweler to do it. That is a hassel I don't think I want to deal with.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I was actually just wondering the other day if you ended up getting your push present yet! Hmmm....I would either get the scattered band that you want and size it up a little or get a plain band with or without milgrain and add a surprise diamond or other stone in the inside to make it extra special. I think a plain thin band would look great with Hunter's dreamer band! Once you lost your pregnancy weight from Hunter did your ring size go back to your original size?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1310870686|2970646 said:
Dreamer, I was actually just wondering the other day if you ended up getting your push present yet! Hmmm....I would either get the scattered band that you want and size it up a little or get a plain band with or without milgrain and add a surprise diamond or other stone in the inside to make it extra special. I think a plain thin band would look great with Hunter's dreamer band! Once you lost your pregnancy weight from Hunter did your ring size go back to your original size?

Great minds Lizzy... I am thinking about something like this, depending on the cost:

http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/wedding-bands/unity-wedding-band-19804.htm

Why hide the surprise stone inside?

My ring size did return to normal, but someone was just saying somewhere on PS how their own ring size did not return to normal after their *second* child. I just feel like if this band is special or sentimental, I would never want to be faced with the possibility it would not fit!

Do you think a plain band without a diamond at all, with milgrain perhaps, would be too boring? I really want a thick plain band, heavy dome, 3.5 or 4mm, but wonder if that is not special enough for this type of occasion.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, that scattered band is nice. I have it in the 4mm width. Unfortunately, i never wear it (i wear my little sapphire eternity on that finger pretty much every day). I've wished i could sell the scattered band but have no idea where to sell it. I would think it's sizeable within reason though with a little weight change. Congrats on the baby!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what about a thick band with only one stone?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1310871140|2970648 said:
lizzyann|1310870686|2970646 said:

Great minds Lizzy... I am thinking about something like this, depending on the cost:

http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/wedding-bands/unity-wedding-band-19804.htm

Why hide the surprise stone inside?

My ring size did return to normal, but someone was just saying somewhere on PS how their own ring size did not return to normal after their *second* child. I just feel like if this band is special or sentimental, I would never want to be faced with the possibility it would not fit!

Do you think a plain band without a diamond at all, with milgrain perhaps, would be too boring? I really want a thick plain band, heavy dome, 3.5 or 4mm, but wonder if that is not special enough for this type of occasion.

Dreamer, do you plan to mostly wear it stacked with your dreamer band? If so, I would do the scattered band that you originally wanted or the milgrain/non milgrain plain band. I think they would both look lovely with the dreamer band. If you are going to wear it on it's own I prefer the scatter band or the one you posted above. I hear you on not wanting to hide the surprise diamond!!! How about the etoile style that you liked at one point with the one stone? You could stack that with the dreamer band too! Might be out of budget now that I think about it though....

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer! I was just perusing ebay's tiffany items and came across these two etoile setting rings both in platinum. I thought of your search for a push present, so here they are.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTATE-PLATINUM...ne_Jewelry&hash=item5644018d00#ht_3696wt_1398
http://cgi.ebay.com/Designer-Tiffan...er_Jewelry&hash=item27bcca3f40#ht_4625wt_1150

I know you have mentioned liking this style awhile back. I think it would look really pretty with your dreamer band and it's sizable!! Have you decided on anything yet?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted a scattered band too, but they seemed pretty expensive and I was also worried about sizing. When I got my etoile inspired setting, I took a 3mm comfort fit band I already owned, and had my jeweler add 8 1.5pt stones to it, making it an eternity. It is sized larger than my usual size. The stones are in a line though, not scattered, and in retrospect I think 9 stones would have been better. Anyway, this cost me around $250 to size up the band and add the diamonds. It worked out great really. Just another option to think about while you decide.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also avoid a ring that is difficult to resize. I have been thinking about a ring for our anniversary this year, and as beautiful as I think full eternity rings are, I just don't want to take the chance on sizing. So if I go that route, I will probably do a 3,5,or 7 stone ring.

I like the band with a single diamond, but I am not sure about it with your half diamond band. I am not sure if that would be perceived as equal to the other, in case you are concerned with how the two rings might be perceived later by the wives of your sons or their daughters. Off hand, I am not sure what I'd choose to go with the other band.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
katiedid|1310953333|2971084 said:
Dreamer, that scattered band is nice. I have it in the 4mm width. Unfortunately, i never wear it (i wear my little sapphire eternity on that finger pretty much every day). I've wished i could sell the scattered band but have no idea where to sell it. I would think it's sizeable within reason though with a little weight change. Congrats on the baby!

Thanks! Why don't you wear it? I think a lot of PSers sell at a certain bistro.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1310954721|2971095 said:
what about a thick band with only one stone?

I got a quote and it was just too high, and then I rethought it and decided its not what I want anyways :blackeye:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1311517928|2975706 said:
Hi Dreamer! I was just perusing ebay's tiffany items and came across these two etoile setting rings both in platinum. I thought of your search for a push present, so here they are.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTATE-PLATINUM...ne_Jewelry&hash=item5644018d00#ht_3696wt_1398
http://cgi.ebay.com/Designer-Tiffan...er_Jewelry&hash=item27bcca3f40#ht_4625wt_1150

I know you have mentioned liking this style awhile back. I think it would look really pretty with your dreamer band and it's sizable!! Have you decided on anything yet?

Awesome! But a) I am scared of ebay and b) its over budget by a large margin! Would be nice though!!

I have througt of setting one of my 0.35ct diamonds into an etoile style ring...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311532040|2975831 said:
I would also avoid a ring that is difficult to resize. I have been thinking about a ring for our anniversary this year, and as beautiful as I think full eternity rings are, I just don't want to take the chance on sizing. So if I go that route, I will probably do a 3,5,or 7 stone ring.

I like the band with a single diamond, but I am not sure about it with your half diamond band. I am not sure if that would be perceived as equal to the other, in case you are concerned with how the two rings might be perceived later by the wives of your sons or their daughters. Off hand, I am not sure what I'd choose to go with the other band.

I think the best fit is a bezel or channel set band.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
What about getting a 3-4mm band and only scattering diamonds 1/2 way around? Then you could size it and have the scattered diamonds. I think it's be best to have it the same thinkness/width all the way around. Then if it spun it would just look like a plain band.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Dreamer, I don't know - I guess once I got the sapphire band, I just liked it a lot better so I started wearing that. I should try to sell my scattered band but I have no idea where, other than maybe ebay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results