shape
carat
color
clarity

Scammers on Loupe Troop - old thread or current info pls.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember a thread a while ago about somebody on LT who seemed to be running a scam. Does anyone have a link to that thread, or can they tell me what the gist of it was? I have a couple of things up for sale and have been contacted by someone who doesn't feel quite....right....

Thanks.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no tell me she isn't at it again.....

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some listings on LT and I did get an "off" inquiry from someone maybe 4-5 days ago ... had "joe" in the user name ... I chose not to respond and the person did not email again. Maybe I lost a sale (?) but would rather be prudent.

mrs-b, can you share more about your "not quite right" emailer?

Reactions: E B

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the second email I got; the first one was similar. Not one question about the actual earrings.

"Thanks so much for your reply, I'm sorry, I thought we are from the same state that's why I suggest we should meet in a open place I think you are locally, sorry for the confusion and misunderstanding I'm from Panama City, FL. Also I have a worst experience with PayPal a few months ago, I was hacked and lost every penny in my PayPal account they are helping with that anyway, I wish I could drive over and pick this up with cash but the distance is the problem, my Job and my Wedding plan is keeping me busy and really taking my time, I have a option and solution we can proceed with our Bank and have them issue you a bank certified Cashier Check, I'll explain to them that this is online purchase, they will deduct the fund from our account ( Non reversible ) so once you received the Check and deposit, the funds can be available immediately or in the next 24 hours then you can ship it or I can have it picked up through FedEx or UPS once you have your money. If you agree with this term and condition get back to me with your name and address where the Check should go to along with your cell phone number and I'll contact our financial clark to proceed with the payment right away.
Thanks for your understanding.
cleardot.gif

Joe"

Reactions: E B

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 -

Thank you so much for those links. This is clearly the same person - same sorts of words and grammar mistakes.

Will give them a wide berth! Thank you again!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I have some listings on LT and I did get an "off" inquiry from someone maybe 4-5 days ago ... had "joe" in the user name ... I chose not to respond and the person did not email again. Maybe I lost a sale (?) but would rather be prudent.

mrs-b, can you share more about your "not quite right" emailer?

I just got the same one as mrs-b, asking for my address to come pick it up (without even knowing which city I live in.) Definitely shady.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what is their plan once they have your address? Come rob/burglarize your house???

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask him to wire you the $$$ and that's where the B.S. ends.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be highly suspicious of anyone who won't use Paypal, or other methods of paying you other than bank cheques..... they use the excuse they had money stolen out of Paypal - the thing is these days that is highly unlikely if not implausible, Paypal takes fraud very seriously.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or if the bank check is issued by their financial clark

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what is their plan once they have your address? Come rob/burglarize your house???

I think if they have all your info, identity theft is probably the idea. I hate that kind of thievery. Or any kind, really.

I have to say, the idea of some goon turning up at my house crossed my mind also. <shudder>

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you said they wanted to meet you I shuddered. I hope everyone only meets people to sell jewellery or stones in an open safe public place, or at a valuers or independent safe, secure office.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never accept a cashiers cheque. The scam is that it takes up to a week or so for the cheque to bounce as fake, meanwhile you’ve sent the item. The other scam is a prepayment by you for shipping/ collection, where you just get scammed the money you send to some bogus shipping agency. They actually aren’t after your item with this scam, just a few hundred bucks upfront for bogus shipping / collection. If people don’t want to use PayPal, they can do bank to bank wire or transfer - no chance of scamming there as the banks check all the info is legit and there’s sufficient funds before they send the money. And big sob stories and bad grammar / spelling is another sign of a scammer. Normal people express interest, maybe negotiate price and either agree to your payment terms / method or not. Never give out your home address, it is safe to meet up in a bank or jewelers store (they don’t want you to scam them either). Be wary and stay safe.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They actually sent a fake check which I took to their bank because I was suspicious. It looked real but nothing was sent before everything was checked out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results