shape
carat
color
clarity

Say Yes to the Dress 12/18

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Did any of you ladies catch tonight's first episode of Say Yes to the Dress, the "Cinderella Comes in All Sizes" episode? I cannot believe how horrible this woman's mother and cousin were to her! She admitted that she had an issue with her weight AND that she wanted to lose weight prior to her wedding, and every time she came out with a dress on, they made rude comments about her looking "fat", "ugly", and in some instances they just LAUGHED at her! I feel awful for her! Trying on dresses is supposed to be a happy event, not an unabashed self-esteem beat-down! Awful. She didn't end up getting anything, and I applaud her for keeping it together, because if it were me I would have been bawling.

Princess_Dreamer

Rough_Rock
Didn''t see it but that sounds horrific
7.gif
How sad!! Makes me more nervous to go try on dresses for the first time next weekend!!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I saw it. Did you catch their comments about the groom seeing her and wanting to change his mind about marrying her
38.gif
Soooo rude and really uncalled for, imho!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I was HORRIFIED! If it had been me, at the first comment I would have thrown them out. She wasn''t even that much overweight!
29.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Jealousy comes in all forms, even from relatives. Why can''t people just be happy for a bride?

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I am watching it right now on DVR and it is infuriating me. I don''t understand how you could treat anyone, let alone your daughter or cousin, the way they treated her. How sad.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eew...I have to catch a re-run of this. Sounds like a particularly nasty one!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes I did see it, and I was equally horrified. I also hated that one blonde, older sales lady... (I don''t remember which bride she was helping) but she was such a snotty b----! She just kept saying snooty comments about "Well, you KNOW how much this dress is, you should have thought of that before... You need to spend X for a dress, etc...." Horrid.

dsgirl81

Rough_Rock
I saw it, I felt so bad for her! They were just straight up jerks. She was not even that big, but it''s like they wanted to make her feel bad about herself, as if she didn''t feel bad enough.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That''s horrible. I really think in some cases, weddings just bring out the worst in people. That poor girl!!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I saw the epidose yesteday and was just as horrified. You could tell the mother and cousin are the kind of people who equate a woman's size with how attractive/worthy she is. With all the negative comments they made, it sounded like the bride was over 300 lbs!! She was hardly overweight at all - just pleasantly plump, IMO. And she looked wonderful in all the dresses she tried! The mother and cousin made it sound like she had no right to wear a sexy dress because she was 'overweight' - It sounded like they wanted her to cover herself in a brown paper bag and be done with it!! I was so appalled and felt so bad for the bride!
29.gif
A day that should be so special for her...
38.gif
I'm sure her family members are causing her to feel like some kind of elephant...instead of the beauitful woman she is. When she said her goal was to lose '20/30' pounds before the wedding, I was like, "WHY??? You look fine! You don't need to lose that much!!"

And that comment about the bride's fiance looking at her and thinking, "I don't want to marry her again..."" Sheesh! Do they think everybody is as superficial as they are?
29.gif

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
It was so horrible! I wanted to slap the mother and cousin in the face,oh and if the groom decided not to marry her it would be because of her wretched family!
29.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
29.gif
What a horrible mother. That woman trumps all. The one person who is supposed to be there for her daughter, feel joy for her on that day, and support her. Look what that poor girl had instead, some wretched woman laughing in her face over 20 pounds. I was appalled.
29.gif

And for the record, I didn''t think she needed to lose any weight either. Once she was in a dress that was actually her size, she was going to look amazing!

I hope to goodness that her fiance is a wonderful man who will whisk her away from that family.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t see a ring on Evil Cousin''s hand. Made me go, "Hmmm ...."

Contrast with that Canadian woman, whose family was *so* supportive and encouraging

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that was an especially sad episode to see how the Bride''s own family treated her. I hope they watched the episode and felt bad about themselves. I do wish the Bride would speak up for herself more. I know it''s her mother, but in a small way, she gives them power to talk to her that way if she just takes it. She should buy her dress without their help.

The second episode was about another mother/daughter team not seeing eye to eye, but this time about the budget. I do think the SA may have gone a little far with her comments at the end of the appointment, but that''s got to be a difficult situation if the mother says the budget is one number and the Bride insists that it''s more. I do think you have to listen to who''s paying, but in the end the mother did end up paying double what she said she would.

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
I finally got a chance to watch it. I dvr all the new episodes. What a bunch of c*nts! They kept making it out to be like she was some huge heffer. I thought she looked great in a couple of the dresses. They are the type of people who think they are all perfect and basically need to get beat up IMO. :)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 8:06:05 AM
Author: Tuckins1
Yes I did see it, and I was equally horrified. I also hated that one blonde, older sales lady... (I don''t remember which bride she was helping) but she was such a snotty b----! She just kept saying snooty comments about ''Well, you KNOW how much this dress is, you should have thought of that before... You need to spend X for a dress, etc....'' Horrid.
I don''t see how it was the SA''s fault at all. She brought a dress in the price range that the bride said was okay, even though the mom said it was too much. Then the bride basically yelled at her mom until she bought it for her.
33.gif

As for the other girl, I would have kicked them out of the store. What awful women.
38.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 1:12:58 PM
Author: sunnyd

Yes I did see it, and I was equally horrified. I also hated that one blonde, older sales lady... (I don''t remember which bride she was helping) but she was such a snotty b----! She just kept saying snooty comments about ''Well, you KNOW how much this dress is, you should have thought of that before... You need to spend X for a dress, etc....'' Horrid.
I don''t see how it was the SA''s fault at all. She brought a dress in the price range that the bride said was okay, even though the mom said it was too much. Then the bride basically yelled at her mom until she bought it for her.
33.gif

As for the other girl, I would have kicked them out of the store. What awful women.
38.gif
I agree with you sunnyd. I think that one future bride was aweful saying $6-7k when her Mom wanted $4k max (or less).
Then she belittled her Mom till she gave in. What was that dress ...$7800? If it was me, and I was the Mom, I would
have said here is my $4k contribution...the rest is up to you.

The other women were just ridiculous! I would have seriously had a hard time holding my tongue if I was that consultant.
I would have wanted to give those women a piece of my mind and tell them to hit the road
29.gif
. I would have
advised that bride to bring some people who actually cared about helping her find a nice dress next time.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I watched this episode last night with DH and we were both horrified about the mother and cousin of that bride from Puerto Rico. That cousin was a total beast. I think I would have told her off had that been me. They didn''t seem to understand that none of the gowns were in her size and that it would be ordered to that it fit and flattered her appropriately. Poor girl.

I can''t believe that the other mom caved and spent 2x as much on her daughters gown as she had planned. That daughter looked far too old to be acting the way she was.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 10:18:13 AM
Author: Clairitek
I watched this episode last night with DH and we were both horrified about the mother and cousin of that bride from Puerto Rico. That cousin was a total beast. I think I would have told her off had that been me. They didn''t seem to understand that none of the gowns were in her size and that it would be ordered to that it fit and flattered her appropriately. Poor girl.

I can''t believe that the other mom caved and spent 2x as much on her daughters gown as she had planned. That daughter looked far too old to be acting the way she was.
Me too. She was way too nice. Huge emphasis on way.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock

Definitely the Puerto Rican girls'' family was overboard. Being Puerto Rican myself, having been raised there, and continuing to visit friends and family on the island over the years, unfortunately, some (most?) Puerto Rican''s can be quite tactless about issues like weight. But, I was still shocked at how this particular family was acting. A slight comment here and there wouldn''t have surprised me, knowing their cultural background, but they were out for blood! The bride-to-be didn''t seem to be shocked by their behavior, so that also led me to believe that it''s the norm when they''re around
15.gif

As for the other girl, I completely agree with the highlighted portion above. That whole situation was sad also ..

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 3:52:40 PM
Author: lilyfoot

Definitely the Puerto Rican girls'' family was overboard. Being Puerto Rican myself, having been raised there, and continuing to visit friends and family on the island over the years, unfortunately, some (most?) Puerto Rican''s can be quite tactless about issues like weight. But, I was still shocked at how this particular family was acting. A slight comment here and there wouldn''t have surprised me, knowing their cultural background, but they were out for blood! The bride-to-be didn''t seem to be shocked by their behavior, so that also led me to believe that it''s the norm when they''re around
15.gif

As for the other girl, I completely agree with the highlighted portion above. That whole situation was sad also ..
I agree that she didn''t seem shocked by their behaviour. Kendra seemed downright HORRIFIED. I''m sure she''s seen a lot of rudeness too! Then when the cousin said that gown was cheap I just about jumped through the TV. I thought many of the gowns that the bride tried on were gorgeous and would have suited her perfectly in the right size. I don''t think that Kendra helped the situation by sticking the bride in a longline bra that clearly was too small in some places. IMO it only emphasized the mismatch in sizes. Had she been braless or just wearing a regular strapless I don''t think it woudl have given the family as much to harp on. Now I''m curious what kind of gown that bride ended up with!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 1:12:58 PM
Author: sunnyd

33.gif

38.gif

I agree, it wasn''t really the SA''s fault, but I just thought the way she was talking to the girl was rude and unprofessional. It made it seem like all she cared about was money (I know in sales that IS the idea, but still... treat the customer like a person, not just a credit card with legs)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I watched that one with my sister and we were blown away! I''ve seen some nasty moms/sisters on the show before, but those two were OUT OF CONTROL. Poor girl-she wasn''t even that overweight! I also thought all the dresses were great on her-she just needed them a size or two bigger.

I was joking with my sister that when she gets engaged I''m going to dump on every dress she tries on just like all the nasty women they show on SYTTD. I told her I''m going to tell her that every dress makes her look fat, and plus I''ll be like "It''s just okay...I don''t *love* it..." when she absolutely loves the dress she''s in! (Lately I''ve seen SO MANY mean sisters and friends do that to the brides when the brides are seriously CRYING because they love their dresses so much!)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I felt bad for the girl with the mom and cousin. They were verbally abusive to her!

The girl with the budget issue was acting like a spoiled 2 year old!

KatM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 10:58:08 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Seriously. Not only that, but I couldn''t get over how she kept harping over how she spends tons of money on her own clothes, so of course she should spend that much on her gown. I kept wanting to scream, "you aren''t spending it, your mother is!!!!!" It made me wonder how much money she actually spent on her wardrobe, vs how much her mom bought for her. she clearly had no concept of money, and serious issues of entitlement.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man. I really need to watch this episode!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:19:45 PM
Author: KatM

Date: 12/22/2009 10:58:08 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Seriously. Not only that, but I couldn''t get over how she kept harping over how she spends tons of money on her own clothes, so of course she should spend that much on her gown. I kept wanting to scream, ''you aren''t spending it, your mother is!!!!!'' It made me wonder how much money she actually spent on her wardrobe, vs how much her mom bought for her. she clearly had no concept of money, and serious issues of entitlement.
Agreed. If she was ok with spending so much money, she should have paid the balance between her mom''s 4k budget and the 8k of the dress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results