shape
carat
color
clarity

Save the dates!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
So, a few weeks ago, I ordered bridesmaid cards from a seller on Etsy and fell in love with how professional and lovely they came out. After looking up and visiting a local scrapbooking store, I quickly realized how easy and cheap it is to make your own papergoods and decided to give it a shot for my save-the dates!

My biggest issue with premade ones on vistaprint, etc, was that they tend to appear very casual (which of course is the idea for some couples!) or require an image of the couple, which we won't have for a while due to the fact that we live across the country from whoever our engagement/wedding photographer will be... :lol:

Here's my shot at a save-the-date for our classy vineyard-themed purple-and-green wedding!

DSC_0667.jpg

The next images (front and back) show the textures of the cardstocks really well! (excuse the weird contrasty color and paper lifting-- these were just tacked on as a sample)

std22.jpg
theback.jpg

My question is-- do these appear too formal/not fun enough? We're a pretty fun couple, but I really want the feel of the wedding to be classic and elegant. Even better, if I choose to do my invitations, I can model them after these-- they'd likely be pocket or booklet invitations.

I also plan on ordering custom stamps with our picture and "we're getting married!" on them in order to add to the fun element!

Thoughts? :twirl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh wow, love them! how did you make them? do you mind sharing? also where did you order the paper/etc?

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! :)) I actually got all of my paper from a local scrapbooking store-- which, they are more popular than you might think! -- and I think that's the best route since you have a chance to explore all different paper patterns and types. However, good sites that I was referred to are www.scrapbook.com www.twopeasinabucket.com and www.scrapwithshelby.com

A great paper glue is Zip Dry (http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Zip-Paper-Glue-2-Ounce/dp/B000YQI21O); I don't need to use a lot of this and it sticks very well without affecting the paper's integrity!

Finally, I purchased a cutting board and paper punch from a company called Tonic Studios (http://www.tonic-studios.com/), which was available at my local shop. The nice thing is that the cutting board came with two cutting blades and one scoring blade so that I can make folding cards/etc if I choose to!

For these cards, it was simple layering of different textures and colors. I used a 5.5" x 4" piece of cardstock for my base and cut additional rectangles about a half-inch smaller to layer (it varies). So, the layering is in the following order: Purple cardstock, light green cardstock, embossed leaf green strip, white smooth cardstock (printed on with a normal laserjet printer at "high quality" setting) punched to reveal the light green cardstock underneath.

It's really very very easy and I encourage anyone to do it! I will have about 150 save the dates for under $40. :praise:

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Here's an idea of the assembly/tools required.

workstation.jpg
DSC_0660.jpg

Very nicely done. Thanks for the tip on glue. I am making my own invites with my sister so that is a useful piece of info, for sure!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they look great!!!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Those are wonderful - very thoughtfully put together and well-executed!!! I love the embossed paper!

If anyone else is doing paper stuff, another good item to have is permanent double-sided tape. That stuff doesn't budge and no glue to deal with!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
They look perfect. Best save the dates I have seen, actually.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Job well done! I don't think they are too stiff and formal, they are pretty!

I'd have never guessed the whole project cost you $40! That is awesome. I may need to blog about these... :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results