shape
carat
color
clarity

Save the Date cards

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
is it a common practice to send these? how far in advance?
and is it a good idea to let guests (esp wedding party) to reserve accomodation soon? My reception is in a historical inn, so those''ll will get booked quick.
i thought september would give me plenty of time for plannign, but things are moving so quick!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Janine,
I am sending them b/c I have a bunch of out of town guests. I don''t think it''s necessary otherwise but seems to just be preference. I have read that they can be sent as early as 12 months!! So I guess we''re already behind!
32.gif
I''m not too worried though and plan to send them whenever I figure out the date and location.

Any ideas of what you will get? I''ve been browsing some websites and thinking of making my own and taking them somewhere to be printed on sheets of magnet paper. If that isn''t too difficult!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Can you get a block of rooms for your wedding party? They should definitely book soon, but your wedding party should really know the date before the save the dates go out, right?

We sent Save the Dates about 11 months out because it is out of town for FI''s family and our friends, and we wanted them to have ample notice to save cash and vacation days. I was surprised when FMIL didn''t want us to send them to her friends. She called it a "new thing" and said "nobody would understand" but my SILs mother, who has brain damage from a stroke, got hers and said "oh good, a Save the Date!" So it''s obviously not THAT unusual in the "older generation". We didn''t send them to everybody, certainly not to the people that wouldn''t have to travel, but those we sent them to appreciated them, and it also gave us a chance to pass on our wedding website info.

We didn''t do anything fancy... I printed them out 4 to a page, on cardstock, at home, and trimmed and stuffed into plain white envelopes that I hand-addressed. All told, it cost me about $70, including postage and the paper trimmer.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
hi dixie..we just confirmed 09/29/07 as our date, which dates are you leaning towards? no idea what kind of cards i''ll choose. something v. simple. i just want to have people mark their calendar since waiting till 3mo''s before to send out invites seems so far away. plus it serves as a formal way of announcing engagement (i''m not doing an engagement party)..

njc

Brilliant_Rock
We sent ours out mostly to those that would be traveling from out of town and let it spread by word of mouth to everyone else. I believe I sent them out in March for our August wedding. They had our names, date, the location city/state, wedding website and hotel information (we had a block of rooms).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We sent ours out around a year before. 80% of guests were OFT so I wanted to give lots of notice. We listed our hotel information (we also blocked rooms) as well. I have a thread on mine somewhere on here.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sent mine out 6 months before the wedding since most of my guests were from OOT. I printed them out on cardstock (4 to a page), took ''em to an Office Depot and had them cut the printed cardstock, and even bought white envelopes made specifically for invites of that size. Was a really inexpensive option for me.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I just sent mine out a few weeks ago for my 9/8/07 wedding. We felt the need to send them since all of my side is from out of town and my cousin had just gotten engaged and was planning a wedding right around the same time. I designed postcards in photoshop and then used vistaprint.com to print them. They run specials all the time where you can get 100 postcards free. That''s what I used so I paid $5 to upload my own artwork and $5 shipping and got 100 postcards. I think they had the option of envelopes for them, but I thought, "they''re postcards, why do I need envelopes?!" so I didn''t buy them. I kind of wish I had though because it seems that at least a few people threw them away thinking they were junk mail. Lol.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My mom decided we needed to send them to OOT guests, I really didn''t care. She just wrote a nice little note on the computer about our engagement and the wedding date and included some hotel information. She printed them out on cute paper and mailed them. I think they were sent in late January, our wedding was in August.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
We sent our save the dates out in October for our March 07 wedding. 95% of our guests will be coming from out of town.. so we felt it necessary for that extra "something"

We had our engagement pictures taken down here in Turks and Caicos... purchased the negative of our favorite one... created a postcard in illustrator... and then uploaded it. We spent $150 I believe. Not too bad, but the quality definitely could have been better!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Janine,
I''m still not sure on dates, somewhere in September. I''m trying to decide on location and then pick a date. I''m hoping to figure that out in the next couple of weeks. Once I have that, I will send the save-the-dates. My FI and I were talking about walking down the aisle last night and the order that everyone goes, and I realized, WOW, I''m getting married! WOW! I''m excited!!
I like the idea of using the save the dates as an announcement. I''m not having an engagement party either.

Robbie, this isn''t my thread but thanks! I will definitely check out vistaprint.com. I thought of postcards but wasn''t sure how to do that. I think that''s a great idea! I also like the cardstock idea, hadn''t thought of that.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second vistaprint.com''s quality. We use them to print our promotional material b/c they have such great prices and nice printing.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I sent a save the date email (about 7 months before the wedding). Only about a dozen of our 80 invited guests were from OOT, so we really didn''t want to put too much effort into the STD (we saved it for the invite)
I know it sounds cheesy, but it was a hit!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results