shape
carat
color
clarity

SARIN & OGI = useless information!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alex77

Rough_Rock
....well, this is what I was adamantly told by a staff member of a very up market (and well respected, although not by me) jeweller in Sydney this past weekend. They tend to get a little upset when you ask them about these things don''t they
11.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
What did you say? It would have felt good to walk out of that place without purchasing.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without expert guidance in the selection of a diamond, the numbers generated from these two devices are dangerous for consumers. It isn't dangerous to use them in an informed way, but, alone, in a vacuum, these numbers can lead to improper conclusions about some diamonds.....

Certainly, a store staffed by well trained employees could make excellent use of the numbers and assist infomred consumers in making a grear selection. A store that has untrained help who don't know what these devices do, would be a poor choice for someone to even shop for a diamond...

You made the right move!

Alex77

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/16/2004 7:23:04 AM phoenixgirl wrote:

What did you say? It would have felt good to walk out of that place without purchasing.
1.gif
----------------

I just politely asked if it were possible to obtain a sarin or ogi test result prior to committing to a purchase and the guy basically looked at me as if I'd just said something terrible about his mother!
rolleyes.gif

The diamond I was looking at was an Asscher style (Square Emerald not the hexagonal Royal Asscher). I've discovered so far that it's very hard to find really well cut Asschers in Australia. From what I've been reading on this forum they tend to look their best with a table of 60-64% and total depth 67-69%. I'm not too sure what or if there is an ideal range for the crown & pavillion angles but the crown height % should be over 15% from what I have gathered so far.

When he gave me the price I almost fell off my chair...
eek.gif

Alex77

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/16/2004 8:19:03 AM oldminer wrote:

Certainly, a store staffed by well trained employees could make excellent use of the numbers and assist infomred consumers in making a grear selection. A store that has untrained help who don't know what these devices do, would be a poor choice for someone to even shop for a diamond...

Well i'm pretty sure he understands what the device does, and could probably decipher the information it provides alot better than a novice like myself, I just don't think he wanted to share his knowledge with me. Thats the impression I got anyway. He was mainly concerned about the $$$$
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results