shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire too dark

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have just got a sapphire necklace as a big birthday present. I already had a sapphire and diamond ring and earrings that I love and that I got from the same jewellery shop. I did look at other necklaces in other shops and kept coming back to this one. The sapphire in the necklace is about a carat and set in a circle of nice little diamonds. However when I brought the necklace home I felt the sapphire looked too dark and almost black on. My preference is for navy inky sapphires like I have in my ring and earrings. The sapphire in the necklace has got some blue light in the middle but is dark around the edges. It looks only a shade darker than the sapphire in the ring that I love close up but it is enough to make it look very dark on. Should I do something about this? if I got a slightly lighter navy sapphire would you even notice the difference once it is around your neck? I don't want to say anything to my husband as he was delighted getting it for me and I had looked around. I would also be very embarrassed saying it to the jeweller. I feel awful but I am kind of wishing I had gone for a necklace I saw in a different shop now! maybe it is just post purchase nerves?
! Sapphire necklace.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a beautiful present to receive. I think it’s lovely.
we all tend to do that - should I have got the other one?
if you do find the sapphire doesn’t “grow on you” you could just source another sapphire and change it over.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a thoughtful gift. ❤️

If you feel the sapphire is too dark for your preference can you exchange it? Are you within your return/exchange period? Could you ask them to replace the stone with a sapphire more suited to your aesthetic keeping the necklace otherwise intact?

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies and for your reassuring words Bron, I do get a bit jittery after a big purchase. We have only just bought it so I would say that I could return it, there is no other necklaces in the jewellers I bought it from that I would exchange it for. However I don't really want to say it to my husband as I don't want to ruin his pleasure in buying such a gift. Maybe it would be possible to replace the sapphire with something slightly lighter but I think I would have be discreet and to do it myself!:roll2::)

H

Horsegirl76

I think it matches your ring really well based on the photos. It’s a pretty necklace. Happy Birthday!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me it matches your ring. I will say that maybe it looks too dark to you because of the angle, certain angles show certain things.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it matches pretty well too. If you replaced the stone, I think the difference would be minimal, if any. Your ring is a darker tone too and I think they are very similar, but you have to be pleased wearing it.

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. I picked out the necklace myself as I thought it matched the ring really well too (see photo with ring and necklace) and my preference is the navy sapphires but it just seemed to have much less of the navy tone the ring had when it was around my neck (I put up another photo of that too). I couldn't say it to my husband as I loved it in the shop and I wouldn't want to ruin a nice moment. I have to go back to the jewellery shop next week to pick up a repair so maybe if I had the courage to ask what price it would be for a lighter one as motowmmama says. Maybe the difference would not be that noticeable as Elizat said particularly around the neck.Talk about a first world problem, I know there is a lot worse things I could be worrying about! :roll2: Sapphire necklace and ring.jpg Sapphire necklace 2.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. I picked out the necklace myself as I thought it matched the ring really well too (see photo with ring and necklace) and my preference is the navy sapphires but it just seemed to have much less of the navy tone the ring had when it was around my neck (I put up another photo of that too). I couldn't say it to my husband as I loved it in the shop and I wouldn't want to ruin a nice moment. I have to go back to the jewellery shop next week to pick up a repair so maybe if I had the courage to ask what price it would be for a lighter one as motowmmama says. Maybe the difference would not be that noticeable as Elizat said particularly around the neck.Talk about a first world problem, I know there is a lot worse things I could be worrying about! :roll2: Sapphire necklace and ring.jpg Sapphire necklace 2.jpg

Defiantly do ask
If you think it is too dark now it could well play on your mind
But also its on a necklase so unlike a ring you can't really see it on yourself unless you look in a mirror
I think i would rather have a slightly too dark necklase than a slightly too dark ring (sigh - which i have)

I do not think it is at all unreasonable to discreetly ask the jewler about swapping out the stone

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely return. The sooner the better. I think this is one of those instances where the shop halogens made it look better than "real life." They should take it back if you just bought it.

Pretending to like it -- aka faking an orgasm -- is really not helping anyone. Certainly not helping the gift-giver. I would want to know if it were me.

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
:DI am going to have a think about it, it looks ok today in daylight but I might mention it to the jewellery shop when I am picking up my repair and see what they say. Will feel embarrassed though but I think for the price there should be a little bit more blue in the sapphire. I got my sapphire ring and earrings in the same shop and even though the stones in the earrings are smaller they are still more navy blue.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:DI am going to have a think about it, it looks ok today in daylight but I might mention it to the jewellery shop when I am picking up my repair and see what they say. Will feel embarrassed though but I think for the price there should be a little bit more blue in the sapphire. I got my sapphire ring and earrings in the same shop and even though the stones in the earrings are smaller they are still more navy blue.

One thing I noticed; when you're taking pics the stone is in shadow. this could of course lead to it being a bit darker than you're wanting. Both stones are dark, which if thats your preference and what you love def. enjoy. But I think that the necklace has a couple of things working against it which is as I mentioned upthread, the angle in which it lays and the fact that its a smaller stone. You could go a shade lighter but then it puts the stone lighter than the ring in general and you might only match it in certain lights. If you can, take a few days to think about it and, if at the end of the few days, discuss it with the seller to see if a shade or 2 lighter can be found. My thought is that you will need to go a shade up to reveal more blue if thats what you're wanting.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just want to add that the height of the viewer (thus the angle the stone is viewed at) varies. For some people, and in your selfies, the stone might appear darker, and for other people, it might even appear lighter than your ring. If I were you, I wouldn't obsess over a matchy matchy color and instead just focus on being content with a thoughtful and pretty gift my significant other picked for me.

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
Thanks, the necklace is definitely a bit darker even when held side by side with the ring. I did actually shop around and pick out the necklace myself, I suppose that's why partly why I am a bit annoyed with myself for not noticing or going more with my instincts rather than excitement. I would just like to see a bit more of the navy in the necklace rather than at times black. If I had just received it as a surprise it probably wouldn't even occur to me to question it! :roll:

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
Hi All, just giving you an update on how I got on with the jewellers. I went back in and asked to speak to the owner who I had originally dealt with and said that I found the sapphire a little dark in natural light and would it be possible to change it or upgrade it? Have to say I felt very embarrassed as I could see it made the staff in the (small) shop very uncomfortable! The owner had a good look at the ring and said that there was very little difference (which is true in the shop lights) and that he wouldn't be able to do much better and that he "wouldn't go messing around with it". He did seem genuinely surprised and he did offer a refund. Bit surprised to be honest that I wasn't at least offered the option of changing the stone.

However I am glad I asked and I feel I have done all I can now discreetly so I am feel happier with the necklace now as a result, I think it would always have bugged me a bit if I hadn't asked. I want to thank you all for taking the time to reply to my thread as well as it wasn't something I could talk to just anyone about in real life!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great on you!! Down the line, if it’s still bothering you, YOU can source another sapphire and have someone change it out.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the update; it's good that you asked the jeweler about it. I think the pendant is gorgeous. And it looks great with your beautiful ring. I've had the same experience with some of my jewelry. But the pieces that, at first, I think, "Oh, it's not quite right," usually end up being my favorites over time. Perfection is overrated. ;)2

SarahMB

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results