shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire search

Tammy Gallagher

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a loose sapphire for my daughter which has proven to be a confusing and overwhelming task. I am hoping that some of you lovely gem lovers could share your thoughts on the following stones from ajs and gemfix.
Thanks, Tammy Gallagher

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want a dark inky sapphire? Tell us what you want and that will help us help you

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first oval sapphire.
the pear shape is nice too but you’ll probably have to go with a made to measure setting (more expensive) to set it.
with a more “standard” size / shape gem there are heaps of pre made settings to choose from.
the third one is too dark in my opinion.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You’ve come to the right place. :)

Like whitewave said - do you have any specifics on what you’re looking for? Those are a variety of shapes - are there some she prefers? Budget?

I agree with Bron - The gemfix oval looks nice in the photo. It looks like it might be on the darker side based on the video though.

Would rounds be an option?

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
If you not live in a very sunny country I would recommend you a medium to medium light tone then a medium dark or in sapphires often called "royal blue" because it looks much more attractive and eye catchy after my opinion.

If you are looking specifically for that inky medium dark tone I would go for a spinel in that color because its way cheaper and the minimal less hardness isn't an issue and the minimal less R.I. you not will recognize in that medium dark tone.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please remember that your sapphire will darken upon setting. A royal blue stone would be a nice contrast with a white diamond halo but would look like a black hole in a solitaire unless your daughter is in a bright lighting environment.

Tammy Gallagher

Rough_Rock
I so much appreciate everyone's response.. My daughter has fairly small hands so she would not want a super large sapphire. I don't think that she would want an inky dark stone. I am wondering if there are any comments on the ajsgem stones? You have to click on the link to see the images. Also regarding the gemfix stones: did anyone look at the videos of each stone which you can find in the link? The 3rd stone doesn't look so dark on the video.I think that she would be open to any shape except round.

Tammy Gallagher

Rough_Rock
One other more comment about my daughter. I don't think that she would want a halo setting. I think that $1500 would be the maximum amount in the budget.

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
I've never bought from AJS so I don't know how their pics compare to real life. In my experience with GemFix, their sapphire pics are brighter than most "real life" lighting, though their pictures match what you see in in-person ideal viewing conditions very well (viewing the gem indoors, midday, with your back to a north-facing window). I looked at 4 of their sapphires in a number of light sources if this helps give you an idea of what to expect in real life versus the vendor pics. That said, of what you posted I have always liked that oval (though I do think it would likely go a bit dark in person since it shows some black in the video) and I really like that pear - in the video, it looks like at its darkest it goes navy, but stays noticeably blue and not black. What kind of setting are you thinking?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colored stones are all about color. I personally prefer the lighter stones you’ve posted. What shade of blue does your daughter like the best?

silver925

Rough_Rock
If she has dainty hands maybe a feature small oval cut sapphire with surrounding diamonds small also. Maybe take her to a store and let her try some on, as you want a style she will suit , and also like.

sapphire-anniversary-ring-1[1].jpg

Tammy Gallagher

Rough_Rock

Does anyone have any thoughts about this stone from pristine gems? It is on sale for $421.00. Is there something wrong with it since it is so inexpensive?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results