shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire RHR: to melee or not to melee, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
With sincere apologies to the Bard himself for borrowing from his masterpiece... :)

I have an emerald-cut bi-color (7.5 x 5 mm) sapphire that I''d like to set into a RHR. After seeing an amazing setting on the Gelin Abaci Web site, I was inspired to choose a setting with a similar feel, but less blingy and more within my modest budget of $400. I wanted a white gold setting that showed off the center stone, and I preferred the center stone to be set east-west or diagonal for a more unique look.

I found a couple of Stuller crossover settings that seem to fit the bill, and I eventually decided on one that incorporates some side stones, for just a touch of extra bling. I got a quote for setting my sapphire plus the six sapphire melees, and I was just about ready to go ahead with the ring. (Diamond melees are beyond my budget, and only sapphires or rubies are cut that small.)

The problem is, I''m having trouble deciding on the color of the side stones. With the help of Photoshop, I played with various combinations ranging from yellow-blue mix, yellows, blues, purples, pinks and whites. Whites were the favorite at first, then purples, then pinks, but after a while I started having doubts again. I know it''s such a minor detail, and yet...

Talking to my sister-in-law about my dilemma, she mentioned that she would have liked the setting better with no side stones at all. It made me wonder, maybe that''s why I''ve been struggling with the melees so much; maybe what I really prefer is plain metal on either side of the center sapphire.

So I turn now to the good folks at Pricescope... Let me know what you think.

First, my little sapphire.

BicolorSapph_singingbell.jpg

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Here are the two Stuller settings I'm considering. The first three pics are Stuller 71028 with different colored side stones (courtesy of Photoshop), and the last is Stuller 7636.

meleeOrNot_singbell.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I like the one without the Melee Personally. I think it looks a little "crowded" with it.

But that is just my .02

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Last but not least, the Gelin Abaci setting that was my inspiration...
30.gif

GelinAbaci_TR_129.jpg

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
The spacing of the stuller side stones is too far apart.
You could get a plain version and have side stones added later and keep them close together.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgive me, I loooove your stone, but I''m not crazy about any of the settings from stuller. You have such a beautiful stone. If you are going for this bypass look, I would keep it simple and sleek. What about something like this ring from jamesallen. It''s not a tension ring, but looks like one. It could probably be made adapted to fit a rectangular stone instead of a round. What''s important though is what *you* like, so please discount my opinions if you don''t agree.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=933

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone who replied so far.

MINE, I can see what you mean about it being "crowded." I think part of it might be due to my sapphire's unique color patterns (which I love!). There's already a lot going on in the stone, and the side stones do seem a bit too distracting. The Stuller Web site showed the setting with a reddish-purple center stone and clear side stones, which I thought looked pretty nice.

Londonchris, I agree with you -- the space between the side stones does seem a bit odd. I'm leaning more and more towards not having side stones at all.

kcoursolle, I'm so happy that you love the sapphire like I do! I really like the setting you suggested from the James Allen site (looks like a Danhov setting from the enlarged images). That's the look I was striving for, sleek and simple. Unfortunately, the cost is beyond my budget (and that's before adjusting the setting to fit an emerald-cut center, if it's possible)... The challenge is to find the same sleek and simple look, but with Stuller-type prices. In my wildest dreams, I was imagining the Stuller 7636 looking like a very distant cousin to the Danhov you posted -- after the master jeweler trims the monsterous prongs and polishes the whole thing, of course. Is that stretching reality a bit too far?
5.gif

For fun, here's the Danhov with my sapphire. The two sides of the band should be longer to match the entire length of the sapphire, but my Photoshop skills are limited...

Danhov_singbell.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Love that sapphire!!!

I was going to vote for the JA mounting suggested by kc...but now that I''ve seen your photoshop version, I think I like the third stuller mounting a little better...I like how it sets off the stone, and is a little more substantial looking...

Not to melee....that is the answer! LOL

widget

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
singingbell, that''s a very pretty stone, what are dimensions and your ring size? I am asking because proportions are especially important in this kind of settings.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 7:26:13 AM
Author: widget
Love that sapphire!!!

I was going to vote for the JA mounting suggested by kc...but now that I''ve seen your photoshop version, I think I like the third stuller mounting a little better...I like how it sets off the stone, and is a little more substantial looking...

widget

LOL!
9.gif

Thank you for your thoughts, widget. I''m one of the many admirers of your drool-worthy jewelry collection, so I particularly appreciate your feedback!

It''s interesting that you mentioned the Stuller setting (without the side stones) is more substantial looking, because when I first saw it, I thought it was too heavy and clunky. But when I minimized the picture down to about my ring size, the clunkiness didn''t seem nearly as bad -- still not as smooth and sleek as I would have liked, but an acceptable compromise given my budget constraints. Ideally, I''d like a band that''s halfway in between, with the sleekness of the JA, but a bit more substantial like the Stuller.

Danhov&Stuller_proportions.gif

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 10:53:28 AM
Author: Pricescope
singingbell, that''s a very pretty stone, what are dimensions and your ring size? I am asking because proportions are especially important in this kind of settings.

Thank you, PS! My sapphire is 7.5 x 5 mm (1.25 ct). My ring size is 6.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Not a tiny stone eh? I would think about how much do you like it to be at angle instead of EW then.
Big blue turned of off symmetry may (may not) bother you.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 4:26:22 PM
Author: singingbell

Date: 12/4/2006 7:26:13 AM
Author: widget
Love that sapphire!!!

widget

LOL!
9.gif

Thank you for your thoughts, widget. I''m one of the many admirers of your drool-worthy jewelry collection, so I particularly appreciate your feedback!

It''s interesting that you mentioned the Stuller setting (without the side stones) is more substantial looking, because when I first saw it, I thought it was too heavy and clunky. But when I minimized the picture down to about my ring size, the clunkiness didn''t seem nearly as bad -- still not as smooth and sleek as I would have liked, but an acceptable compromise given my budget constraints. Ideally, I''d like a band that''s halfway in between, with the sleekness of the JA, but a bit more substantial like the Stuller.
Looking at this picture, I actually think slightly thicker shank parts near the stone look nice. However, what I do like about the JA setting is that it''s missing the prongs, and it makes it look more sleek.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome back singingbell!
what a beautiful stone you have there! so pretty.
i really like the last stuller. i think the smooth, flowing lines would look nice againt your sapph.
it''s going to be lovely, whatever you decide! i''m looking forward to seeing the completed piece.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the Danov. I like the more sleek lines with the straight edges of the EC as opposed to the swirly Stuller.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 9:23:29 PM
Author: Pricescope
Not a tiny stone eh? I would think about how much do you like it to be at angle instead of EW then.

Big blue turned of off symmetry may (may not) bother you.

I've put the stone at different angles on my finger, trying to imagine how it would look in a ring. Since the sapphire has a bit of an unusual look to it, I felt like the setting should be a bit unusual too, that's why I went for the east-west or off-angled settings. I don't think the off-symmetry would bother me. But I may need to make a paper mockup and wear it for a few days to really know for sure...
9.gif

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 2:31:42 AM
Author: kcoursolle

Looking at this picture, I actually think slightly thicker shank parts near the stone look nice. However, what I do like about the JA setting is that it's missing the prongs, and it makes it look more sleek.

I absolutely agree! Like you mentioned earlier, it simulates the "floating" effect of the tension setting -- which I love. To get this look, though, I may need to have the ring custom-built, because I haven't found a pre-fab mounting like this, and I've been looking!

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate your thoughts, belle and ds2006! You''re both right, of course. Each setting has qualities that I like, and I wish I could combine them into one ring. It might be time ask for a custom quote and see how far my budget can stretch.
27.gif

p.s. Thanks for the welcome back, belle! It has been more than a year since I last posted anything, but I haven''t gone away, just lurking while plotting my next project and gathering my "play fund."
5.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not ask a few vendors for quotes in 14k white gold?? You have no obligation to buy just because you asked for a quote. Another place to ask would be knoxjewelers.biz

They custom made a setting for me that was high in quality and reasonably priced.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 4:22:26 AM
Why not ask a few vendors for quotes in 14k white gold?? You have no obligation to buy just because you asked for a quote. Another place to ask would be knoxjewelers.biz

They custom made a setting for me that was high in quality and reasonably priced.
I looked at Knox Jeweler's Web site and this caught my eye:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=392&action=show_detail
Opinions anyone?

Anyway, so far I've focused on stock setting because I'm dying to set this sapphire as soon as possible, so I could wear it rather than stare at it in its little box. Going custom likely will mean more waiting while I save up more funds. I'm torn between instant gratification versus waiting for that perfect setting...
11.gif

Oh well, I doubt I'd be able to get the ring done before Christmas, so I might as well ask for a few quotes and then decide.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 10:19:42 PM
Author: singingbell

Date: 12/6/2006 4:22:26 AM

I looked at Knox Jeweler''s Web site and this caught my eye:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=213&rn=392&action=show_detail
Opinions anyone?

Anyway, so far I''ve focused on stock setting because I''m dying to set this sapphire as soon as possible, so I could wear it rather than stare at it in its little box. Going custom likely will mean more waiting while I save up more funds. I''m torn between instant gratification versus waiting for that perfect setting...
11.gif

Oh well, I doubt I''d be able to get the ring done before Christmas, so I might as well ask for a few quotes and then decide.
I like that setting, very cool!! It really wouldn''t hurt to at least ask for quotes. Knox is pretty reasonable, and you don''t need any diamond melee or platinum I''m assuming.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results