shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Pricing

safbank

Rough_Rock
Hi guys.

My first post on PS and hoping to get some guidance on sapphire pricing - I'm a first time buyer getting a stone for engagement, only so much knowledge one can acquire without being in the trade or buying experience.

I can also appreciate that the pricing for blue sapphires is more around the colour than anything else, particularly for unheated sapphires which I'm insistent on buying.

I have finally found a very nice stone; http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-62402-cushion-blue-sapphire-b7410/

I'm reluctant because the price per carat seems to be many multiples of 'similar' stones ($3,500 per carat). I can fully appreciate the rarity of this particular, but want to have some confidence that I'm paying market value rather than having my trousers pulled down.
- I'll also admit that I've not found similar stones to compare it to.

Hoping someone would be kind enough to give me an opinion, advice or guidance.

Thanks.
SafBank

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is known as a pancake stone - it is too shallow and has a window. I would look at other options.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1467905985|4052569 said:
This is known as a pancake stone - it is too shallow and has a window. I would look at other options.

+1, I don't like the cut of this, and for your money I think you could do better. Is it the color of this one you are drawn to? And is this shape what you want, or are you open to round, oval, etc?

We can help you find something nicer :) What's your max budget for the stone? Is it 4,200?

safbank

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the responses.

I was taken by the colour of this stone, it really fit with what I wanted. Have noticed that the cuts aren't the best from NSC, but again have been told that cuts are second in buying decision.

Looking for a square cushion or a round cut. Nothing bigger than 6-7mm. Have 2 ring designs in mind to suit either cut, but very keen to make sure I find the best untreated stone I can.

Price wise, between $3000-4000 would be in my range ($3500 was my original max budget).

Also, I'm based in London if this is helpful information.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
safbank|1467906958|4052581 said:
Thanks so much for the responses.

I was taken by the colour of this stone, it really fit with what I wanted. Have noticed that the cuts aren't the best from NSC, but again have been told that cuts are second in buying decision.

Looking for a square cushion or a round cut. Nothing bigger than 6-7mm. Have 2 ring designs in mind to suit either cut, but very keen to make sure I find the best untreated stone I can.

Price wise, between $3000-4000 would be in my range ($3500 was my original max budget).

Also, I'm based in London if this is helpful information.

aha, ok didn't realize untreated was part of the criteria. That will significantly limit options in the 3500 range, but I'll do more digging and see what I can find. I completely respect wanting and untreated stone, but I would consider allowing heat, since that doesn't compromise anything about the stone (unlike BE treatment), and will allow you to get something much more vivid and larger in your budget :)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
lovedogs|1467906785|4052578 said:

I think the problem with these is OP stated that the stone must be unheated, which narrows the field considerably.

(though I agree one can do better on price and cut with a little digging and time)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut, being second to colour, doesn't mean that it can be horribly cut. There's no point in getting top colour if the stone looks "dead" due to bad cut angles. There has to be a balance and all coloured stones need at least a decent cut to look alive and sparkly.

I'll start looking around. I presume I have to include VAT?

Out of curiousity, why unheated only? Is it a purity standpoint? Is it a mind clean standpoint? Heated is widely accepted by the market but diffusion isn't.

Too small at 5.5 mm?
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=7270

safbank

Rough_Rock
Thanks once more everyone. Great support here :)

I'll take on-board every one's comments re the cut and do more digging - guess I've not placed enough importance on cut. Also appreciate that there are better stones if I'm prepared to have them heated.

The reason for them being unheated is a little mushy, sorry; There isn't a stone thats been dug up that's worthy of my girl. Finding an unheated one to me means it's rare and hard to find (and therefore better) than the others.

To clarify the budget, in GBP £3,000-4,000. This includs VAT (20%).....no idea what the exchange rate will look like in future. lol.

If anyone has recommendations for online or London vendors this would be greatly welcomed - have done the usual suspects in Hatton Gardens. Not quite sure what details I'm allowed to post, but if you have a website can always contact you through there.

If anyone can convince me that unheated isn't really worth the premium this would also be welcomed as prices are nearly doubling.

safbank

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono.

Does look very nice, and at the risk of sounding pompus, does seem cheaper than I would have expected.

A sapphire from Madagascar would actually be more fitting, for personal reasons. As with unheated, have only looked at Sri Lankan stones.

Understand Kashmir stones are special for various reasons, and command a hefty premium, but unsure if there a real difference in where the stones are sourced from, or is this just marketing and glib?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

safbank

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1467909438|4052614 said:
Top quality blue sapphire with a Kahsmiri origin will be priced way out as they are no longer mined.
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-india.htm

More examples of upper end quality blue sapphires from Kashmir. Note that like any other location, the Kashmir mines produces a wide range of qualities, from poor to world class.
http://www.kashmirblue.com/Sapphire/kbsapphires.html

Cheers. Think these are going to be way out my price range though.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A number of folks have had good luck finding nice blue sapphires for engagement rings with Roger Dery lately. But I don't thing any of them were looking for unheated. You might try shooting him an email and see what his inventory looks like.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finewater Gems just announced a sapphire sale. I hope that's ok to post that here since it's on their website. Unfortunately, I have no business recommending actual stones, so the 20% off tip is all I have to offer. Good Luck in your search!

http://www.finewatergems.com/store/c2/Sapphire.html

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
neonsaffire|1468063693|4053505 said:
That 1.20 crt sapphire is overpriced for its quality.

I have a few high quality stones within your price range, (also from the UK) message me your email and I will send you videos.
cheers

Are you a vendor? If so you need to be flagged as such, and cannot promote your products. If you aren't a vendor, you still can't offer to sell people things.

sskim3

Rough_Rock
Roger has I heated sapphires. All you need to do is ask. :). It was very easy working with him and very accommodating. Wouldn't hesitate recommending him any time. It was the easiest part of the whole process for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sskim3

Rough_Rock
sskim3 said:
Roger has I heated sapphires. All you need to do is ask. :). It was very easy working with him and very accommodating. Wouldn't hesitate recommending him any time. It was the easiest part of the whole process for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant unheated. Damn spell check.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results