shape
carat
color
clarity

Sanity Check

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fstone

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, love this forum, already learned so much.

Wanted some opinions on my e-ring strategy:

Problem:
My fiancee to be said she prefers size over everything else, but wants the diamond to still look good. (obviously) In this vein I want a 2 carat stone or just above that to ensure the 2c threshold.

Budget:
$10k Canadian - $8k U.S. (just for the stone)

Solution:
1. I really can''t tell the difference in the colours and I don''t think she will either except between large bands. (i.e. d/e vs h/i) I want to go with a I or J color stone with a medium blue flouresance to mask

2. I have heard that cut is the most important aspect in terms of brilliance so I want an ideal cut (is there any leeway here?)

3. I am willing to go as low as an SI2 if I can find one with imperfections that are on the edges and can be covered up a bit by a 6-prong setting (negligable I know but I''m reaching :)

Questions:
- Is this at all reasonable or am I in lala land here?
- Are there any other parameters I should consider with regards to lowering the price without compromising the integrity/brilliance of the stone?

Thanks everyone!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I really think 10K would be a minimum, unless you're willing to go to like K/L color, or I clarity. They can still be stunning, though!

Would she rather have a fancy shape, or something more like 1.5-1.75 round for that budget?

The other option is a halo. You can get a 3 ct presence with a 1.25 ct stone!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to say..... in order to meet all your parameters, you''d have the muppets from Sesame Street singing the La La Song for you.

That''s not to say that pricescopers couldn''t help you find a very lovely J/K eyecleanish I1 with a very good cut within your budget. We are all about what looks good, so if you can loosen up your requests or your wallet, we could try to meet you in the middle.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

fstone

Rough_Rock
Alright so lets play this out, exactly why I posted:

1. I only want a round solitaire
2. I am not willing to go below 2 carat
3. I am not willing to go below J in color (and really want I)
4. I am not willing to go below SI2

So based on the above, how much would my budget have to extend?

Thanks F

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Holy Cow, Julie!!! Great finds!!

The J VS2 is the prettiest at $12000

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
If you go with an EGL certed stone, you can save A LOT of cash. My 2 ct G SI1 H&A has an EGL cert and it''s perfect.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think fstone passed out from sticker shock!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 6:22:33 PM
Author: Upgradable
9.gif
It happens.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I got a 1.77 RB with strong blue fluor. a few yrs back within your budget. I wanted a 2ct but I gave up in sz because I wanted a great cut. GL ..Why not try looking for something just under 2ct?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 6:22:33 PM
Author: Upgradable
LOL!! or find a cheaper fiancee.
41.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Double freaking ditto. We've got some serious lurkers here... and if you don't jump on that F SI2 ... someone will.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure the last one is what he wants b/c it''s an O and definitely has color. There are some great choices here - beautiful stone in the 1.5 - 1.7 would be the way to go imo.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 10:06:14 PM
Author: Gypsy
Double freaking ditto. We''ve got some serious lurkers here... and if you don''t jump on that F SI2 ... someone will.
If the F SI2 is eyeclean, pop it on hold and ask for an Idealscope image.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The F, SI2 is probably a beauty but chances are slim that it''s going to be eyclean or even close to it.

I agree with vespergirl that if you want to save money, go for a well cut EGL stone and have it checked out for color/clarity.

fstone

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone for your amazing replies!

I didn''t pass out, rather I was just to busy putting all my stuff up on ebay :)

The FSI2 is not eyeclean and looks to have many visible inclusions.

I''m assuming that by the replies my logic makes sense in terms of flouresance and color and trying to save money by masking a otherwise less white stone with flouresance.

I agree with vespergirl this one seems like the best bet:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1203540.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

although a bit higher priced than I would have liked and its a J. But looks very clean.

The EGL cert stone is an interesting idea. What does everyone else feel about this? I assume if you get it checked out and know what to look for by educating yourself you would be fine.

Oh and as far as finding a cheaper fiancee. You guys might think I''m crazy, but I''m the one that wants to get her a 2c because I want to blow her away when she sees the stone. I think she is going to call me an idiot after she gets over how much she loves it :)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
if you find a nice 1.9ct (in that range) basically something just under 2ct..you really won''t be able to tell the difference AND the price will be better. GL with your treasure hunt
35.gif

fstone

Rough_Rock
I want to hit the 2ct mark for value purposes. In that with the price ranges it makes more sense to try and find a cheap 2ct as it will be worth more than a higher 1.whatever ct.

From what ppl have told me, its best to get:

1- 1.05
1.5 - 1.55
2 - 2.05

If you can find them at a good price as they will be worth more if you can sell them within the higher range.

Is there any validity to this?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
No, because the resale market in previously owned gems shows that if you can get over 1/2 what you paid, you are doing well. In that case, the best "value" comes with .8-.99, 1.35-1.49, 1.75-1.99 carat stones. You pay less $$ for the same visual impact of jumping over what is commonly called the "magic number": 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 carat.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely right, upgradable. You just beat me at answering almost the same.

A stone just under a magic number will always be easier to sell. Even if the cut is not the best, there is room to re-cut the stone and stay above the magic number below the current weight too.

If the stone is just over a magic weight, and the cut-quality over time becomes outdated (which is the natural course of events with cut-quality constantly improving), the value of such a stone suddenly drops enormously since there is no room to re-cut and stay above the same magic weight.

Live long,

fstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks upgradeable and Paul! thats great info. I love how some ppl can sound quite knowledgeable when they talk to you but are really talking out of their backside.

That will actually really help me as I noticed a large price difference in terms of price per carat when dropping below 2ct.

One question tho Paul, would the logic not make sense in terms of buying something a bit above 2ct so that you have that room to trim down if necessary and still stay within the carat range. (i.e. better to buy say a 2.1 than a 2.05 as there is more to play with if re-cutting is necessary?)

I assume tho that what you''re saying upgradeable is that you can''t hope to make back you''re initial investment on a used stone and so it makes sense to pay less up front as you will have less depreciation downstream.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Remember fstone, I''m just a consumer. But yes, that last thing you said, uh huh!
26.gif

fstone

Rough_Rock
Hey just for my own knowledge can anyone explain why this diamond might be so cheap:

https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?id=222922&sh=8&prc=8736

Certificate EGL 2147483647
Cut ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 2.19
Color H
Clarity SI2
Price $ 8784.18
Price per Carat $ 4011.04
Measurements 8.2 x 8.26 x 5.22 mm
Depth Percentage 63.4 %
Table Percentage 56 %
Crown Angle
Pavilion Percentage %
Pavilion Angle
Girdle MED FAC
Culet N
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Certificate Notes
Other Notes TOLK H&A DEAL!
Clarity-Enhanced NO

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL diamonds are usually considerably lower priced than AGS or GIA, also it might not be eyeclean. I would think that it probably isn't EGL USA graded which are said to be the strongest of the EGL labs, although you could check. Also the cut isn't the greatest. Because it is advertised as a h&a diamond, we have no way of telling that without detailed images in order to evaluate overall cut precision, however from the info we have, this diamond has too much depth for my liking anyway so for that reason alone I would pass.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 10:15:21 AM
Author: fstone
Hey just for my own knowledge can anyone explain why this diamond might be so cheap:

https://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?id=222922&sh=8&prc=8736

Certificate EGL 2147483647
Cut ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 2.19
Color H
Clarity SI2
Price $ 8784.18
Price per Carat $ 4011.04
Measurements 8.2 x 8.26 x 5.22 mm
Depth Percentage 63.4 %
Table Percentage 56 %
Crown Angle
Pavilion Percentage %
Pavilion Angle
Girdle MED FAC
Culet N
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Certificate Notes
Other Notes TOLK H&A DEAL!
Clarity-Enhanced NO
HI:

It is deep and the spread could be greater for it''s carat weight.......hence cut is not top notch. Moreover, EGL is know for it''s "softer" grading, so the parameters you desire in color and clarity might not be as stated if you were to compare this stone to grading done by a lab such as AGS or GIA.....

cheer--Sharon

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Based on what you are looking for though, it would be worth getting pictures and ideal scope for it. We KNOW you aren''t going to be able to meet your intial criteria, but maybe this one would be satisfactory. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results