shape
carat
color
clarity

Sangria!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Do you prefer white or red? Do you have a kick a$$ recipe??

We're having a bbq this weekend and I wanted to figure out a recipe so I can get my fruit marinating before Saturday! Please share!

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm really lazy so I usually get the Sangria Slush from tastefully simple or the Sangria in a box from Target -- which is surprisingly tasty for a boxed "wine" -- a little crushed ice and a few pieces of fruit, yum!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like red! Okay not like, LOVE! :lickout:

No amazing recipes, though-my one friend always makes pitchers of delicious mixed drinks so I just drink hers! I have heard that sangria slushies are amaaaaazing though...I have to make some soon!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one my husband used last year. Was quite good so he continues to make it. There have been times when he would use whatever fruit we've had on hand, so its ok to stray a bit if you want.

This serves 6 so it may not be big enough.

1 orange sliced
1 lemon sliced
1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1.5 ounces vodka
1.5 ounces cointreau
1.5 ounces gin
1/3 cup orange soda
1/3 cup lemon lime soda
1-1/4 cup pineapple juice
1-1/4 cup orange juice
750 mil (1 bottle) dry red wine
Ice cubes

Place lemon, orange, and brown sugar in large pitcher. Pour in vodka, cointreau, gin, orange soda, lemon lime soda, pineapple juice and orange juice. stir until sugar is disolved. add wine and refrigerate.

I do recall we did NOT add ice right away, waited until serving.

-A

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Red!

I make a kick-butt sangria. It's lethal, though - one glass will knock you on your butt, but you'll keep going back for more! I basically took the recipe from my favourite sandwich shop in Spain (and you can adapt it to make sangria punch).

2 bottles red wine, usually rioja but 2 buck chuck works (I always make it with two because a. I love having sangria around and b. I usually make it for big parties)
sugar
gin
vodka
brandy (if you have it, the recipe won't suffer if you don't)
rum
orange juice
fresh fruit - usually oranges, lemons, limes, apples, and strawberries (any or all)
ginger ale/Sprite/7 up (for sangria punch)
a sprinkle of cinnamon

The night before - mix wine, sugar (I eyeball it, but generally right up until it stops dissolving), liquors (I'll put about 3 glugs or each in - when you pour it, you know how it comes out and then kind of stops for a second while the air gets in the bottle? That's a glug. If you like yours a little less lethal, a mini bottle of each works), orange juice, and some fruit. Stir and let stand overnight.

The morning of the party, take out the old fruit (and enjoy!), and add more of each liquor, cinnamon, more OJ and sugar (to taste), and add a bunch of fresh fruit. When serving, either serve chilled on its own or mix with soda of your choice.

I like letting most of it stand together overnight to get the flavours to really combine (also to give me alcoholic fruit to snack on while I get ready for a party), but in a pinch you can make it the day of the party.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE white wine sangria! I have a recipe that I use and anyone that comes to my parties ends up asking for the recipe after the party, so it's a keeper for sure!!!!

Peach Sangria - serves 15

3 bottles dry white wine
2 cups Peachtree schnapps
3/4 cup and 3 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate - thawed
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
2 1/2 pounds peaches - you can use fresh or jarred
2 cups red seedless grapes - halved
2 cups green seedless grapes - halved

In a large pot, combine wine, Peachtree, lemonade, and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the fruit! Refrigerate until well chilled, at least two hours, but overnight is recommended to blend flavors. Serve over ice and use a slotted spoon to include peaches and grapes with each serving!

it really is an easy recipe and you can alter the fruit if you want to switch it up. it always comes out delicious and refreshing!!! I find it is a drink that the men and the women love!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! This is a great thread! I love red sangria but I don't have a recipe (helpful I know lol) but I can't wait to see what one you use and let me know how it turns out :) I used to eat at Pappasiotes Mexican restaurant around the Houston area and they made their own. During happy hour it was 2.99 for a big glass (regular 6.99 I think) and so I would have some times and I would be feeling it. I loved it SO much...until one day I took a drink...and it was HORRIBLE! I spoke to the bartenders and they told me they'd changed it from home made to premixed! It was so GROSS :nono: I asked the manager to share the recipe with me and she wouldn't do it ;( Needless to say I would love a good recipe that I can make at home and share with everyone else.

The good news is because of that Sangria I met my SO. I don't care much for Mexican food so if it wasn't for happy hour and their Sangria (the time I had it when we met was the last time home made too!) I wouldn't have met my SO and we've been together well over a year now. So I have a special :love: relationship with it :loopy:

Thanks for sharing your recipes guys! The one I had they told me it had brandy in it. Also I have an eat clean watermelon sangria recipe if anyone is interested in it. I've personally never made it (and won't...I don't like melons! :saint: ) but if someone reads this and is curious about it I'm more than willing to pull out the book and type it out for you. It's a healthy recipe too (as healthy as you can be with this stuff at least lol)

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock
Princess - your recipe intrigues me! My sangria slush is usually made with 2 bottles of two buck chuck ;)) I will have to get off my lazy butt and give yours a try!! Is it wrong to plan a party just to try this out :naughty:

Oh - and I forgot to mention - I like RED sangria :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap! do NOT add Gin! (WTF was I thinking ???) Thats supposed to be brandy *tired and have not slept yet, sorry*

-A

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Nice recipes given :cheeky:
Here's our favorite from Zarta's. Like them-- I prefer to add the lemon and lime slices last as they can turn a bit bitter if left too long in the wine. Yields 12 potent servings, perfect for our group:

1 C brandy
1 C fresh orange juice [about 3 medium]
1/4 C fresh lemon juice [about 2 lemons]
2/3 cup frozen limeade
2 bottles dry red wine [anything on sale Cabrenet S, Merlot, Rioja, Shiraz]
1 C Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec or Peach Schnapps
2 Tb sugar [+/- depending on your wine]
2 apples, cut into chunks
2 pears, sliced
2 oranges, cut into wedges
handful of seedless grapes

2 lemons, sliced thin
2 limes, sliced

ginger ale [optional]

In a large pitcher, mix brandy, orange juice, lemon juice, limeade, red wine, cointreau, and sugar. Add apple, pear, pineapple, oranges and grapes. Stir and refrigerate overnight.
Before serving, add lemon and lime slices. Serve as is, on the rocks or fizzy:
Fill a tall glass with crushed ice, fill half way with ginger ale, top it with sangria and garnish with a berry or two.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Woo hoo! Thanks for all the replies! I figured I'll trust you ladies any day before I turn to some rando online recipe!

I'm not quite sure which recipe to go with. I was banking on red, since I prefer red and it's sooo pretty, but lizzyann's peach sangria sounds AWESOME! :lickout:

I just took my pedestal beverage jar that I received for my shower out of the box to wash and prep for Saturday -- the spigot works but it's soooooo slowwwww! Roar. I'm so bummed about this. Not sure it's worth trying to bring back at this stage... :angryfire:

Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes and ideas! I'll let ya know which I go with and what our guests think!

Ohhh and it's def okay to just have a party to just make some yummy sangria! Haha I have parties to make sure I clean my house! I used my vaccuum today in ways I didn't realize were possible! (Ahem...I vaccuumed the lamp shades and ummm...ahem...the walls...) I.NEED.TO.GET.A.LIFE!

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Yum! I don't have a recipe (for some reason, it never turns out right when I tried to make my own mixed drinks) but I'll definitely have to try out a couple of these this summer.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love red sangria! I made a huge batch for my housewarming party and put it into a huge beverage jar. I just googled it and came up with a very popular recipe that hundreds of people had tried. I made various versions of it and it was a huge hit at my party. Remember to use cheap red wine (I used the Gallo stuff in the huge jars) and brandy is a must for a more complex flavor.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
megumic|1305833452|2925878 said:
Woo hoo! Thanks for all the replies! I figured I'll trust you ladies any day before I turn to some rando online recipe!

I'm not quite sure which recipe to go with. I was banking on red, since I prefer red and it's sooo pretty, but lizzyann's peach sangria sounds AWESOME! :lickout:

I just took my pedestal beverage jar that I received for my shower out of the box to wash and prep for Saturday -- the spigot works but it's soooooo slowwwww! Roar. I'm so bummed about this. Not sure it's worth trying to bring back at this stage... :angryfire:

Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes and ideas! I'll let ya know which I go with and what our guests think!

Ohhh and it's def okay to just have a party to just make some yummy sangria! Haha I have parties to make sure I clean my house! I used my vaccuum today in ways I didn't realize were possible! (Ahem...I vaccuumed the lamp shades and ummm...ahem...the walls...) I.NEED.TO.GET.A.LIFE!

Megumic, sorry about the pedestal beverage jar! I'm not sure how many people you are having over, but what I usually do for big parties is make it in a big pot, then before the party I put some into a couple of pretty pitchers. When your guests arrive, you put ice in the their cup and pour the sangria over it, making sure they get some fruit! I have a ladies cocktail hour a couple times over the summer. There are many stay at home moms and moms who work from home on my street. We all get together at like 3pm. All the kids play, while the mommas sip on my peach sangria! Good times!!! ;))

Edited to add - that I actually prefer to use jarred peaches because they are softer and easier to eat!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results