shape
carat
color
clarity

San Francisco for a day - need sightseeing suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Hubby and I are traveling to the Bay Area this weekend, however, it is not a leisure trip. I did manage to get DH to promise me to take me to SF since I haven''t been there in a looong time... but only for a day! Please give me suggestions on the best places to go, including great restaurants for brunch.

I only can think of Golden Gate Bridge and Pier 39 off the top of my head...heehee. I would consult a guidebook but I want some "insider information," especially from you gals from the Bay Area. We will be there on Monday, MLK day.

Thanks a bunch!!!
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
hm... you can try fillmore or union street for some nice shopping/strolling off the touristy path... get dessert at ghirardhelli square... check out legion of honor - even if you don''t go into the museum check out the great views there... for food ideas I always go w/yelp.com, do a search there for brunch spots. union square is where all the major shopping is (all the chains and big luxury stores) maybe brunch at the ritz carlton or palace hotel?

have a fun weekend!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
only one day...hehee. well i second union street, it''s super cute. and tons of great restaurants, betelnut is a favorite of mine. or you can do union square as well which is more touristy but a ton of shops and big stores and restaurants and hotels. you can also check out the piers along embarcadero, we like fog city diner on embarcadero as well for eats...yummy food and cool upscale ''diner'' ambiance...it''s not really a diner (oysters, wine, and really yummy food, i love their curry mussels and french bread!!) but it''s in an old diner kind of cable car thing. or go along the great highway where the cliff house and sutro baths are (part of the history of SF) and we eat at the beach chalet there which is right across from the ocean and has a beautiful view and really yummy seafood dishes.

i''d probably do any one of those things. when we go into SF it''s typically go to eat at fog city, or beach chalet or we sometimes go into north beach area aka little italy to have italian. but for a day of shopping with the gals i go to union square or union street.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I''d do union square for a day of shopping, then walk through the Stockton tunnel and go through Chinatown (Grant Street would be the cleanest path) and that''ll take you right to North Beath (aka Little Italy). After walking through there, maybe grabbing some foccacia bread as a quick snack, head on over to the Pier and Fisherman''s Wharf for a little sightseeing. Then I would go back to North Beach for dinner. You can always take the cable car, or if that''s too expensive, the Muni is pretty quick on those trips. Michaelangelo''s in North Beach has some killer clams with pasta in their tomato sauce. Yummy. If Il Polaio is open on that day, it''s a great place to get some freshly grilled chicken or rabbit, although they run out of rabbit rather quickly.

Union Square shops typically close around 8 or 9 p.m., most of Chinatown around 6 p.m., North Beach around 10 p.m. and Fisherman''s Wharf and the Pier, I think also around 6 for the shops but later for the restaurants (10 or so). Have fun!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want the downtown w/shopping experience, go to Union Square and have brunch at the Grand Cafe. It''s a beautiful restaurant just a block or two off Union Square with great food. There is rarely a wait. Brunch at Asia De Cuba at the uber-swanky Clift Hotel is pretty good too, with no wait, but pricey. Scala''s Bistro is an elegant yet casual place, with solid Italian fare....though it serves lunch and not brunch. Sears Fine Foods is always packed but worth the short wait. It''s a famous, homey cafe type place. Dottie''s True Blue Cafe is a bit further off Union Square in a somewhat shady area but is A-W-E-S-O-M-E for breakfast food and there''s often a line.

If you want the upscale neighborhood experience, go to Union Street like the others have suggested. It has really charming shops (some EXCELLENT jewelry stores. You must check out Dianne''s, an antique jewelry place, and Union Street Goldsmith). However, that street isn''t really known for brunch spots. Home Restaurant is pretty good, with the standard breakfast/brunch fare. Perry''s is open for breakfast and always seems to be well-populated but I''ve never tried their food.

If you want the classic hippy SF experience, go to the Haight. A little grungy, but TONS of character and so much fun. Brunch at the Pork Store Cafe is a must!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results