shape
carat
color
clarity

San Fran, help me out

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I''m going to propose during march in San Fran, we''re spending a few days there on spring break. She has no idea it is happening, she thinks we''re going to visit my brother in Galveston during spring break. We''re going to Scandanavia in June and she''s 100% sure I''m going to pop the question there.

That said, I''ve got some good recommendations on possible restaurants to do the deed in; my dad grew up in San Fran in the 50s and 60s so he knows the area and some friends who still live there. Anybody around here have any thoughts? I''d actually prefer not to do it in a restaurant, personally. Somewhere with a great view, that''s not a really uptight fancy restaurant would be great.

I''d do it in Monterey (we''re going to a very, very nice B+B) but it''s at the end of the 4 days; I don''t want her to be all stressed out the whole time (IS HE GOING TO ASK ME???) since she has been waiting such a long time. Don''t ask how long
14.gif
. Instead I''d like to do it the first night/second day in San Fran and enjoy the rest of the trip I have planned.

Any thoughts from anybody from the area?

bamcw328i

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2006 11:32:04 PM
Author:Garysax
Ok, I'm going to propose during march in San Fran, we're spending a few days there on spring break. She has no idea it is happening, she thinks we're going to visit my brother in Galveston during spring break. We're going to Scandanavia in June and she's 100% sure I'm going to pop the question there.

That said, I've got some good recommendations on possible restaurants to do the deed in; my dad grew up in San Fran in the 50s and 60s so he knows the area and some friends who still live there. Anybody around here have any thoughts? I'd actually prefer not to do it in a restaurant, personally. Somewhere with a great view, that's not a really uptight fancy restaurant would be great.

I'd do it in Monterey (we're going to a very, very nice B+B) but it's at the end of the 4 days; I don't want her to be all stressed out the whole time (IS HE GOING TO ASK ME???) since she has been waiting such a long time. Don't ask how long
14.gif
. Instead I'd like to do it the first night/second day in San Fran and enjoy the rest of the trip I have planned.

Conservatory of Flowers
Japanese Tea Garden
Palace of Fine Arts
Hornblower Cruises
Gary Danko
Point Reyes Beach

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 6:17:39 PM
Author: bamcw328i

Ok, I''m going to propose during march in San Fran, we''re spending a few days there on spring break. She has no idea it is happening, she thinks we''re going to visit my brother in Galveston during spring break. We''re going to Scandanavia in June and she''s 100% sure I''m going to pop the question there.

That said, I''ve got some good recommendations on possible restaurants to do the deed in; my dad grew up in San Fran in the 50s and 60s so he knows the area and some friends who still live there. Anybody around here have any thoughts? I''d actually prefer not to do it in a restaurant, personally. Somewhere with a great view, that''s not a really uptight fancy restaurant would be great.

I''d do it in Monterey (we''re going to a very, very nice B+B) but it''s at the end of the 4 days; I don''t want her to be all stressed out the whole time (IS HE GOING TO ASK ME???) since she has been waiting such a long time. Don''t ask how long
14.gif
. Instead I''d like to do it the first night/second day in San Fran and enjoy the rest of the trip I have planned.

Conservatory of Flowers

Japanese Tea Garden

Palace of Fine Arts

Hornblower Cruises

Gary Danko

Point Reyes Beach

Thanks for the suggestions! I am considering the Japanese Tea Gardens... I''ll check out the conservatory of flowers as well. I suppose a lot depends on the weather.

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
not at all an expert on San Fran - but we were there a bit ago...
a couple of different places I thought of:
1. Twin Peaks - if it isn''t foggy beautfiul views overlooking the whole city. You drive up a winding road into the hills and end up on top of a "peak" with little viewers etc.
http://www.sftravel.com/twinpeakssanfrancisco.html
2. The other side of the golden gate bridge? They have that little viewing area once you cross the bridge (going towards Napa/Sonoma) you look out over the bay, the bridge and the whole city. A wee bit windy when we were there and depending on the time a little crowded. But still very scenic.

But the other locations you guys mentioned would be high on my list as well -- a lot would depend on the weather for sure!!

Good luck!
21.gif

bamcw328i

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 9:42:06 PM
Author: Garysax

Date: 2/12/2006 6:17:39 PM
Author: bamcw328i

14.gif

Conservatory of Flowers

Japanese Tea Garden

Palace of Fine Arts

Hornblower Cruises

Gary Danko

Point Reyes Beach

Thanks for the suggestions! I am considering the Japanese Tea Gardens... I''ll check out the conservatory of flowers as well. I suppose a lot depends on the weather.
Weather shouldn''t be a huge probem this time of year. Other then it being windy.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Garysax,
I want to make some suggestions, but I''m wondering what her interests are. A lot of it depends on the type of personality the two of you have and also what you two enjoy doing together.

There''s the Aboretum in Golden Gate Park, no admission fee and there are plenty of squirrels that run around waiting for people to throw them nuts. There are many isolated benches in the Aboretum and it''s beautifully landscaped with many different plants from around the world.

There''s a rose garden inside of the Park also, it''s rows and rows of roses.

If it''s a warm day, propose on Ocean Beach while looking at the sunset. I was there last week (we''ve been having a spate of unseasonably warm days) and the view is gorgeous. The waves look silver and the sun sets a fiery red color.

There''s a restaurant called the Beach Chalet, where, if you can get a good table, you can watch the sunset or waves in comfort and propose to her in there. There''s also the Cliff House, which is built on a historical spot and overlooks the ocean and Seal Rock.

If I can think of anything else, I''ll add on to it.

Pt_Fwd

Rough_Rock
Here are a few more ideas:

Waterfront Restaurant - great views of the Bay & the Bay Bridge.
The Palace of the Legion of Honor
Coit Tower

Good luck!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary - I think it''s sweet that you''ll be proposing in San Francisco. This is an incredibly romantic town!

I agree that the lookout point on Twin Peaks would be a memorable place to propose....but I''d recommend doing it at night when the city lights are all ablaze. I used to live in the neighborhood where that lookout point is and you should know that it gets A LOT of traffic, including gigantic tour buses, day or night. It''s one of the most popular tourist points in the city and if you want privacy, it might be hard to find.

Another gorgeous, far more private and intimate place to propose would be the Lyon Street Steps (it''s kind of a local secret), one of the city''s famous outdoor stairways in Pacific Heights, the poshest neighborhood in the city. It''s extremely scenic...from the steps, you can look down onto the bay. It''s most beautiful during the day...the deep blue of the bay, sailboats, and gorgeous mansions all around you are just breathtaking. See http://www.mistersf.com/high/index.html?highlyonstairs02.htm . If you come in the spring, chances are decent that the weather will be perfect for a daytime proposal.

if you''re looking for an elegant yet nonstuffy restaurant with a waterfront view AND also has great food (too many of the "view" restaurants in the city have mediocre food), try Chaya Brasserie on the Embarcadero, or Slanted Door (high-end Vietnamese, trendy setting) in the Ferry Building. You might also try Boulevard (where my own husband proposed to me!), which is one of the most famous and expensive French restaurants in the city. Service at Boulevard is great, and the atmosphere is surprisingly not that stuffy. Reservations are kind of hard to get there, though, and you''d have to request a table with a view. Actually, be sure to specifically request a table with a view at ANY of the above restaurants or you''ll end up like we did and be stuck next to the kitchen for your marriage proposal!

Chaya Brasserie: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/892465/san_francisco_ca/chaya_brasserie.html
Slanted Door: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/40867522/san_francisco_ca/slanted_door.html
Boulevard: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/876146/san_francisco_ca/boulevard.html

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results