shape
carat
color
clarity

sample dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JR320

Shiny_Rock
I went dress shopping for the first time this afternoon and found a dress that I really love! But it has been discontinued and the sample was 1/2 off which is awesome, BUT... I would order a size 4 and the dress a size 8 I think. I really like the owner of the store and she was confident that she would be able to alter it to fit me and still have it looking beautiful.

What are your thoughts, both on buying a sample and it being a few sizes too big.

The dress was by LaSposa... it was called Magnolia. You can find it on their website under the 08 collection. I tried to link the picture, but wasn''t able

I would love opinions on the dress as well.

I''m going to another salon tomorrow, so we''ll see how it goes.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, you might be okay. Are you usually a size 4 in your normal clothes? If so, you''d be more like a 6 in bridal, so an 8 would only be one size too big. I''m a size 6 usually, but my dress was a size 10 and wasn''t too big on me. They were able to take it in easily.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
A word of caution, alterations cost tons. If the discontinued dress is out there in your size, it is on sale. Have you checked out Pearl's or some of the online discount websites? do a search here and you will find many retail outlets like that. If the dress is really insanely cheap, like $200 or something, then take it and run! But if it is still up there, then look around online and order it in your size. This is coming from someone who bought a sample and ran. Alterations, GOOD ALTERATIONS, can cost hundreds of dollars easily.

Have fun with your search!

JR320

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

I am normally a size 2, but guess more like size 4 in bridal.

I asked the owner of the shop and she said it would probably be like $350 for alterations because they would be so significant. But I do have another option. My Aunt used to own a bridal shop and she is a master seamstress... she would probably be willing to do it out of the goodness of her heart :)

The dress was still $800 on sale (originally $1600). So while its a good price, its still more than I would be willing to spend without some serious thought.

I appreciate the recommendation for Pearl''s. I will check that out!

I will also come back and post a picture of me in the dress if I go back to try it on again.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with your decision - $350 is a lot for alterations, and I think its good you are giving it serious thought before pulling the trigger. If you truly love the dress, the price is a good one, but its important to be sure, so its good you are being cautious about the decision.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call around and try to find it closer to your size elsewhere. It''s worth a try!

I bought a sample, also too big for me (I''m a 2, sometimes 4 in regular dresses and the sample was a size 8) and alterations are going to be about $300. But mine was pricier to begin with, so half off plus alterations was still way cheaper than trying to get a new one. In your case, it''s not that much cheaper, so it might make more sense to try to find the dress elsewhere. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results