shape
carat
color
clarity

Sales tax delaying my lovely bag purchase... worth waiting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're going to Hawaii at the end of the month, so I've been trying to decide whether to make a major (for me) bag purchase here (LA) or wait until our trip.

Sales tax here is 8.25% (state+county) whereas in Hawaii it's 4% (if I'm not mistaken), plus they're retailing the bag for $20 less in HI (not that large of a difference, just an addition to the pile).

After tax, the price difference is $79 ($1414 vs. $1493). Would you wait?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you sure they have the style/color you want? Sounds risky. I am not sure I would wait except it is always fun to get things you want on vacation. Makes it more special.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you know that they have the exact one that you want in Hawaii then I would wait till you get there to buy it, otherwise I would order it now.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
In the grand scheme of the exercise...that is chump change (ratio of savings to the cost of the bag). So why wait? With the chump change...(that is what I call it as I am the chump) what else could you get yourself? I mean can you look at it like that? How about a free fragrance...or new shoes for the trip?

That is the way I make my decisions...what's in it for me? MOI! oink oink oink.... if you have something else that your little heart wants...use the chump change to get and live on the edge...
6.gif
risking them having it...one good thing though...once you get there...it is possible they may have another style you love even more???
1.gif
So yeah I would wait. There may be a bigger sale. Oh my wouldn't you hate that?

You know you can get it here...(where is the fun in just walking in and pointing to it and leaving the store with it?) Live on the edge!!! Risk it!

Hey, is there anyplace online you can get it TAX free? I say... Look forward to your trip as a treasure hunt...and it is just 2-3 weeks anyway right? So I would wait!! Crazy way of getting to that decision huh? §

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 5:53:35 PM
Author: Mara
nope.
hehe me neither
3.gif
I don''t think I''ll be able to. TPFers are telling me to wait, though I''m surprised bag enthusiasts would blink an eye at $79!
20.gif

It''s an LV (damier belem mm), I don''t know that there''s a chance of finding it tax-free anywhere online. Thoughts?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 6:45:40 PM
Author: neatfreak
Here it is at Eluxury for even less...

And unless they are in CA...no sales tax either!

http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse/product_detail.jsp?id=10781314
Thanks neatfreak! The before tax prices in HI and LA are $1360 and $1380, respectively, so I guess the price is in line with the LA store. I wish elux had it in-stock!!

ETA: Eluxury does charge sales tax.
39.gif
I went halfway through checkout with a wallet to see. I should have it shipped to my parents in IL, lol
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha musey...i am surprised that TPF''ers would tell you to wait as well, those gals are typically very ''on it'' !!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Musey,

Have you considered that the HI stores are able and willing to ship a bag from there to CA for a smallish fee like $20? I''ve had them do it for me a few times in the past when the bag I wanted was sold out in the L.A. stores (and it''s how my fiance got me my Xmas present this year
36.gif
), and the upside is that it still costs less than to get it locally (go figure).

Of course, your sweetie might think you''re nuts to order a bag from Hawaii and have it shipped so that you have it to bring before the Hawaii trip yet save $50... but that would be your handbag-obsessing cross to bear,
2.gif

--fdl

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Wow Fleur you are a genius...she gets it now...and still saves some cash!
36.gif
§

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I would just wait....you could think about your trip everytime you wear it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''d wait. I like having things to look forward to and am a bargain shopper. I would have a list of things in my head that the $70 could be spent on.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 8:39:35 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Hi Musey,

Have you considered that the HI stores are able and willing to ship a bag from there to CA for a smallish fee like $20? I''ve had them do it for me a few times in the past when the bag I wanted was sold out in the L.A. stores (and it''s how my fiance got me my Xmas present this year
36.gif
), and the upside is that it still costs less than to get it locally (go figure).

Of course, your sweetie might think you''re nuts to order a bag from Hawaii and have it shipped so that you have it to bring before the Hawaii trip yet save $50... but that would be your handbag-obsessing cross to bear,
2.gif

--fdl
I would wait to buy it, because I am very very cheap! But if they will ship it, then go for it!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably buy it, or have it shipped from HI to CA. i just wouldn''t want to take the chance that it would be sold out and I missed it.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I''d probably wait. $79 is a whole lot of Starbucks. But then again, I detest paying more for anything than I have to. I guess in the grand scheme of things, $79 isn''t much compared to the overall price, BUT $79 is still $79.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Heck you can eat out on that while in Hawaii
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results