shape
carat
color
clarity

Safety - Wearing your jewelry?

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I work in Baltimore City, which is far from safe at night. I don't have large diamonds, but I know people who have been jumped/mugged for less. Do any of you have plain jewelry that you wear when traveling or in less than safe situations? I'm tempted to buy a cheap tungsten or titanium wedding band for myself on amazon to wear in such situations.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have a tungsten ring that my husband bought me to propose with and I love it. It's from titanium kay...the only place I've seen them in small sizes and widths. I also have a couple of inexpensive rings I would not be devastated to lose. Sometimes I flip my diamond to the palm side. What I would not do is wear a fake..it does nothing to deter you from becoming a target.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
kelpie|1300193899|2872163 said:
What I would not do is wear a fake..it does nothing to deter you from becoming a target.

Good advice!

Somewhat related (well, not really, but along the lines of making yourself a target). I used to work at a local apple store when I was in college and one of my coworkers was mugged at gunpoint just because he was wearing an apple shirt. They thought that he had an iphone since he was an employee there. He didn't, so they took his LG flip phone. (and later were arrested because they were caught on the security cameras in the parking garage of the mall... all for a flip phone that he got for free with his contract)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I know I'm going to be going to a place that's unsafe, I leave as much of my stuff off as I possibly can. I tend to wear the stuff that's insured and not chock-full of sentimental value if I'm, say, traveling. If it seems sketchy last-minute, I spin my ring to the palm of my hand/put on gloves, and pull my hair into a ponytail that covers my ears/pull my hat down.

If you know this is going to be the daily situation for an extended period of time, I'd go with the titanium/tungsten band (and BIG DITTO on the fakes - I've never understood the logic there). If you want to get something nifty but still inexpensive/unlikely to make you a target, maybe that titanium mokume gane stuff, Timoku? I think I just linked someone here to that the other day, for similar reasons ....

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I think you are just as likely to be assaulted for a fake as a genuine stone as it is impossible to tell the difference. I would wear nothing, and I have been robbed at gunpoint (in an upscale business establishment), so I've since thought this through.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
DH proposed while we were on vacation with a Cartier trinity ring. I now wear it whenever I'm being lazy around the house or traveling. People don't realize its worth much since its just thin gold bands, but it does still work for situations where I want to be dressy.

I agree that fake diamond jewelry will probably attract the same type of attention as diamond since its not like mugger is going to grab your hand and examine your ring prior to robbing you.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I wasn't thinking along the lines of CZ or anything, but rather just a plain titanium wedding band and leaving the diamond band and diamond ring at home.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I wear a narrow plain 14k gold wedding band in those situations. It just isn't worth attracting any sort of unwanted attention. I got it years ago when gold was cheap. I think it cost me $30. I just checked on-line and I see now they are running around $100.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I think the purpose of fakes with CZs as 'travel rings' is not that that you wear them in place where you might in danger of being mugged. I think people wear them more on cruises or in vacation spots where the danger is more, ,not that your physical safety is threatened but that the staff might open your room safe. Or you might be on a swimming vacation and want to wear a ring to the beach without worrying about it either being washed off or picked up off your towel. Things like that.
They would be not only pointless but dangerous in situations where mugging is a possibility. In that case, you want to be as unobtrusive as possible and sometimes even a plain gold ring might be too much. the price of gold is very high right now, you know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results