shape
carat
color
clarity

Saatva Mattress

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, as annoying as I find it, DH and I need a new mattress relatively soon. We prefer traditional coil. But we were okay with a Hybrid Latex/Coil mattresses when we tried them. The mattress we liked best was 4000 and it was traditional coil but with latex and gel foam. But I just do not want to spend that much unless I really have to right now.

I've read really good things about Saatva. I like the 75 day trial, and there was an independent review site that compared it head to head to the mattress we liked and it came out on top.

And I can't deny that the 1400 price all in delivered to the house for a King isn't attractive and worth the gamble.

Has anyone else tried this mattress?

I am thinking of getting the Luxury Firm.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of that mattress before. I need a new one and have been planning to try a Casper when I do.

Mattresses are hard to pick out I think.

diamondmad

Rough_Rock
Hi, yes, my husband and I purchased a Saatva mattress after he did a lot of research. Don't recall firmness but we both like a firm mattress. We have had it a couple of years and it is great! No sagging or deterioration. We recommend it!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy :wavey:

They've been around for years and I almost bought one myself (decided to hold out for a latex bed).

Also check Tuft and Needle.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
I've never heard of that mattress before. I need a new one and have been planning to try a Casper when I do. Mattresses are hard to pick out I think.

I've heard great things about Casper.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1466626762|4046825 said:
packrat said:
I've never heard of that mattress before. I need a new one and have been planning to try a Casper when I do. Mattresses are hard to pick out I think.

I thought the website was fun and they had a good sense of humor. I liked that if you don't like it they'll come take it and donate it.

We're going on vacation next week and staying in the same cabin as last year-this thread reminds me to pull the sheet up and write down the name of the mattress. I hope it's the same one. I've never slept so damn well in my life. Screw fishing, I wanted to stay in the bed and smoke a cigarette, it was that good.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1466627600|4046828 said:
amc80|1466626762|4046825 said:
packrat said:

I thought the website was fun and they had a good sense of humor. I liked that if you don't like it they'll come take it and donate it.

We're going on vacation next week and staying in the same cabin as last year-this thread reminds me to pull the sheet up and write down the name of the mattress. I hope it's the same one. I've never slept so damn well in my life. Screw fishing, I wanted to stay in the bed and smoke a cigarette, it was that good.

Nothing better than a good mattress! I stayed at a W. Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, and the bed/bedding was to die for.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1466567400|4046552 said:
So, as annoying as I find it, DH and I need a new mattress relatively soon. We prefer traditional coil. But we were okay with a Hybrid Latex/Coil mattresses when we tried them. The mattress we liked best was 4000 and it was traditional coil but with latex and gel foam. But I just do not want to spend that much unless I really have to right now.

I've read really good things about Saatva. I like the 75 day trial, and there was an independent review site that compared it head to head to the mattress we liked and it came out on top.

And I can't deny that the 1400 price all in delivered to the house for a King isn't attractive and worth the gamble.

Has anyone else tried this mattress?

I am thinking of getting the Luxury Firm.

It was suggested to us as an option when we moved. We ended up going with this one instead, but largely because we wanted a memory foam mattress. https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-Shiloh-12-inch-Mattress/dp/B003CT37L0

I've heard essentially positive things across the board, so I'd say go for it!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1466649889|4046961 said:

I did. Their overall rating of B- averages their criteria. But that includes a SIGNIFICANT number of things I don't care about. My current mattress is so heavy it could be made of lead, it's 21 inches tall, and is also no flip. So a heavy, tall no flip mattress matters to me not at all. Delivery time makes no difference to me. I can wait a month before it arrives. Not even a blip on my radar. And those the things that they down grade them for. So if you remove those from the rating it goes up significantly. Plus, they seem to be biased against innerspring mattresses in general. And none of the mattresses we liked fared better than that one as they are all innerspring as well.

As for durability and long term performance, they are just guessing as there is no data since the company has only been in business for 5 years and I am aware of that. Honestly, if the thing lasts for 5-7 years I would be perfectly happy. The price is good enough that I don't expect it to last 10 years. Our current Sterns and Foster (similar model to ours now gets terrible review on there as well) was perfectly lovely for us and has lasted 12 years, though we really do need to replace it soon now.

The other mattress I am interested in is Helix. Another new company. And there is even LESS data available about them. But the primary construction is latex and we have not liked any latex mattresses.

Packrat, totally agree.
Diamondmad, great to hear!
AZ- thank you m'dear. Will do!
amco, I'll check them out.
Lovedogs, thank you, I probably will. It's no lose. If it doesn't work out, I've lost nothing.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, please school me okay?

I love my latex pillow. SO SO MUCH.

Why did you not like a latex bed?

One fab thing about latex is it does not hold heat. It does not mold to you like memory foam.

And it does not have those horrendous toxic fireproofing chemicals because latex cannot catch on fire.

There's a company here in Phoenix who makes latex beds, you pick the characteristics/qualities you need and they build it. So if your partner likes a firmer or softer mattress, they can do that. Etc.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I meant to respond to this before AZ.

They feel too solid and firm to me. I like sinking a bit into a mattress and some bounce. I actually DISLIKE the motion isolation.

There are less firm ones and more firm ones. But they all just feel "wrong" to me.

I hate anything that sleeps hot. And latex pillows, toppers etc. all sleep hot for me but most especially for DH who sleeps REALLY hot.

I think it's just a personal thing. Like thong underwear. LOL.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Latex does not sleep hot AT ALL. I love it and will never have another kind of mattress or pillow. They come in varying amounts of firmness. I have never had a pillow that gave proper head support before my latex. I don't feel this strongly about many things, but latex bedding and well cut diamonds are two that I feel that way about!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't want to interrupt Gypsy's thread, but wanted to ask quick about your latex pillows..do they smush your ears at all? That sounds weird, and maybe I *am* just weird, but every night I wake up (well, I wake up all the time but..) and my ears *hurt*..sometimes very painfully. Like I've been gggrrrrrrrr cramming my head into the pillow for a couple hours or something. So every time I wake up I have to assess how my ears feel and lay on whatever side feels best. I've never found the perfect pillow for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries about threadjacks Packrat. I couldn't care less.

I really want to know if anyone has tried the "my Pillow" thing. I am intrigued.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious about that pillow too Gypsy. Hope someone has some experience to share!

pack, that happens to me too, although occasionally vs. all the time. I have one ear that sticks out, and one ear that's tucked back. It happens to the one that sticks out, because firmer pillows push it back which 'folds' the cartiledge. The pillow I use most often is a TempurPedic pillow, but eventually I have to switch it up with a regular pillow due to the ear issue, which then starts up headaches because there isn't enough support. Once the ear is in pain, I have found that nothing offers quick relief - even rolling over, that ear will continue to throb. It's so weird. Oh, I tried a pillow that was oval and indented in the middle so that your ear is essentially floating, while your neck and top of your head are supported. It didn't hit me in the right spots though, totally uncomfortable.

So basically I feel your pain, I haven't found a solution, and if anyone else has one, I'm 'all ears' too. :lol: ;-)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
well heck I guess I'm kinda glad I'm not the only weirdo w/pillow/ear issues ha!

I have My Pillow. And a My Pillow body pillow. I *loooooved* the pillow, until I washed it. I think if I were to wash it every week or so, every few days, maybe that would help but cripes that's a lot of washing. When we first got them (and jeez they're spendy), my head/neck would sink in perfectly and it was amazing. I'd wake up, flip the pillow over and sink right back in. Now I have to smack it and punch it and flip it eleventytwelve times every night.

I've had all the kinds of foam, down, that barley husk or whatever it is, the kind w/the swoop that your neck is supposed to be perfectly angled on. Thin, thick. You wouldn't think finding a pillow would be that hard but man..

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always had problems with various pillows, and this is the first one I've ever had NO ISSUES with. Not saying it'll work for everyone, but I've found it to be great in terms of not smashing my ears, keeping my neck comfortable, etc. I didn't buy it online (found it in a store), but this is the link I could find. It's the Mily Serenity pillow.

https://www.dealbeds.com/mlily-serenity-contour-pillow/?gclid=CjwKEAjwqdi7BRCL6Zmjk5-rsTwSJABmrVabmi6zkxsiOjf9uKCJbtQmN36qkBrHNanho1OBfORk7xoCn83w_wcB

I've also tried about 5 body pillows, and all of them eventually just bunched up into pieces inside which meant I had to keep adjusting and hitting it during the night. I have scoliosis so my back hurts a lot and I'm pretty sensitive to what works and what doesn't. This is my 6th (if not more) body pillow and I finally found one that's worked and lasted since Xmas--much longer than my others--and I'm still happy with it. Got it from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011U1LIK8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23IRY6ACK6MB9&coliid=I22ZXTO34YLJUK

EDIT: should have added that I had "my pillow" body pillow at some point. It was PERFECT for a while, but eventually all of the stuffing/insides kind of separated into clumps so I kept having to adjust/hit/mess with it during the night.

Sorry to continue the thread jack, but as someone who has struggled w. pillows I wanted to share :)

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After doing a bunch of research, including on the sleeplikethedead website, I ordered the Serenity GEL from bedinabox. Sounds cheapy, but the mattress is great so far. I love soft beds. My husband sleeps really hot and he is very happy with the mattress too. I also like that they have been around a bit longer. Good luck with your search! :bigsmile: I did not find mattress shopping enjoyable...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1467302811|4050109 said:
Latex does not sleep hot AT ALL. I love it and will never have another kind of mattress or pillow. They come in varying amounts of firmness. I have never had a pillow that gave proper head support before my latex. I don't feel this strongly about many things, but latex bedding and well cut diamonds are two that I feel that way about!

DS, I agree based on my latex pillow. They throw off the heat from your head and neck, they are the coolest sleep ever.

Where did you get your latex mattress, I'm planning ahead, thank you!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate My Pillow. Its not latex, btw, its chunks of foam.

I have an unopened one in its box, anyone want it??? Its hot, its hard lumpy, and its ginormous.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These my pillow tidbits are great because I was thinking about getting one. Now I might not. Lumpy? I can't do that at all. Azstonie I have a latex mattress topper and love it because I don't get hot. Memory foam makes me so hot and uncomfortable. I am saving $ for the adjustable king bed from Costco but I want the latex mattresses which make it much more expensive.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're in California, right? ( I can't remember.) Have you investigated any small regional mattress companies?
http://mfg.regionaldirectory.us/mattresses/california.htm

Over East, we have Original Mattress Factory. And Imperial Bedding in Huntington, WV, that makes a lot of hotel bedding. I am a real basic ultra-firm old school 2-sided mattress person. Tight top, rock hard mattress, like Third World bedroll-on-the-floor hard. Then I put a foam topper on it just for a hint of padding. I own a Bonnell spring full size set from Imperial. My next purchase, unless I find another regional 2-sided mattress manufacturer I like better, will be a OMF Orthopedic Ultra Firm. (eta: I'd be that 9 or 10 on the Saatva scale, haha!)

Purists want latex and genuine wool in their mattresses. I would never spend that much.

Just for everyone's info, many of the innersprings used in all brands come from Legett & Platt, so once you learn which one your like or hate, your mattress shopping may become much simpler. http://www.beddingcomponents.com/ I'm a big believer in buying a mattress based on the spring, and then tuning the comfort level with mattress topper(s). There are people who could not find a readymade product that works, so they actually build their own mattresses with a spring and then stacks of appropriate foams, encased in a mattress case.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1470105365|4061529 said:
These my pillow tidbits are great because I was thinking about getting one. Now I might not. Lumpy? I can't do that at all. Azstonie I have a latex mattress topper and love it because I don't get hot. Memory foam makes me so hot and uncomfortable. I am saving $ for the adjustable king bed from Costco but I want the latex mattresses which make it much more expensive.

Redwood, come by and score the My Pillow unopened box in my linen closet :lol: I bought two, one for DH (he tossed it after an hour the first night) and one for me. The third was a buy two/get one deal. I even cut open mine to play with the amount of stuffing in there, thus I know what it is. A $5 pillow from Target is more comfortable.

Where'd you get your latex topper? I find memory foam super hot too and I think its like sleeping on wet cement. There's a latex mattress company in Phoenix that seemed reasonable and the will custom make it in terms of soft-hard for you, even for 2 sleepers on a king or queen bed.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually bought it on Overstock because I did not want to spend a bunch to try out latex. Its this one and I always look for a coupon when using them. The memory foam mattress I have it on top of came from them too and I am so glad I did not pay a bunch for one to try out memory foam. I sweat like a mad dog laying on that thing. This mattress buying process is a PITA.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Select-Luxury-E.C.O.-Naturally-Dunlop-Latex-2-inch-Reversible-Mattress-Topper-with-Cover/6603175/product.html?TID=MyAcct:MO:OR:razz:rodName

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, thank you for the link, I looked at it. Did you leave the polyester cover on it?

I have 3 latex pillows in my house. One of them, as an experiment, I took the cotton cover off of it. I slept much cooler and better on the cover-less pillow. The downside is that I did it with the king sized pillow and its a bear to wrestle into the pillowcases now. Only down side.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - I'm curious, did you make a choice and purchase a mattress yet?
We need a new one too, but after having two in a row that didn't live up to our expectations, I think we need to put more research into our next purchase.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I shared the info about the Saatva mattress with my mom. She's been looking for a bed. She ordered one today and I'll let you know what she thinks in a few weeks. We both ordered the body pillow from amazon, too. Mine comes tomorrow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NonieMarie|1471138212|4065704 said:
I shared the info about the Saatva mattress with my mom. She's been looking for a bed. She ordered one today and I'll let you know what she thinks in a few weeks. We both ordered the body pillow from amazon, too. Mine comes tomorrow.

AWESOME.

Momhappy no. Finances right now are bleak. I am sure things will turn up. As soon as they do, the mattress is first on the list.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results