carat
color
clarity

Rugs

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a 9x12 foot rug.
Where can I find a quality one without breaking the bank?

The room its going in is basically beige with white molding and a white bookshelf. Dark wood furniture but light hard wood. There is one chair I need to match , the sofas will be out ASAP so I'm not worried about how they will mismatch (and they will ,I'm certain) the chair is a wing back goldenrod color with green, white, orange and blue floral pattern.

I've found some at pottery barn that all in all would be under 500. But I'm hoping for other options. Any ideas? I'm hoping for a soft capet like one as my 6 month old will be crawling on it and I'd rather he didn't get scatchy knees.

Thanks a million!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always order Safavieh wool rugs from overstock.com

Wool sheds a lot initially, but I prep for that by laying the rug down and running the vacuum over it 5x. It also has held up well for kitty vomit, etc. all I need is a da,p sponge to scrub with and stains come right up due to apparently the natural oils I'm the wool.

For color matching, I read reviews, and buy the smallest size, like a 2'x3'

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! These seem to be on sale , or maybe they always are. Either way, for prices!

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Yes I can vouch for overstock rugs. I have had great luck on 3 different wool rugs there. Good stuff.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
About 8 years ago I needed a large odd sized rug for a room, 12x14, I think. I had one made by a carpet store. I picked the wool carpet and they cut it to size and bound it. Just another option.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1438652715|3910774 said:
About 8 years ago I needed a large odd sized rug for a room, 12x14, I think. I had one made by a carpet store. I picked the wool carpet and they cut it to size and bound it. Just another option.

I've heard that a cheap way to do it too. But I was also told as its rougher on the bottom than a carpet is have to get a better pad for the bottom. Is that what you've experienced? I do t want to ruin the wood underneath

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1438655089|3910790 said:
ponder|1438652715|3910774 said:

I've heard that a cheap way to do it too. But I was also told as its rougher on the bottom than a carpet is have to get a better pad for the bottom. Is that what you've experienced? I do t want to ruin the wood underneath

Actually the underside is very soft, kind of felt like. I didn't even think about that when I bought it as it was going on a stone floor. Next house had wood under it and there was absolutely no scratching of the wood. Now its on stained concrete. I would look into it and see what your options are if you don't find a regular rug in your price range that you love.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't attest to the wool rugs the others have mentioned, but I bought a 100% wool rug from Pottery barn for our living room and it shed like CRAZY. And it drove me CRAZY. My toddler was an infant at the time and when he'd crawl, wooly fibers would be all over his hands and of course they'd end up in his mouth b/c that's what infants do. They put everything including their hands in their mouth.

So, I gave it to my mom to put in her office and bought a regular soft carpet from a carpet store and had them cut it to the dimensions I wanted and they added a border around it so it became a large area rug. It's perfect. It's soft and exactly the dimensions I want and it doesn't shed, lol! I did buy the padding to go underneath to protect our wood floors. They just cut the pad to match the rug. It's a thicker padding than the lattice type which ended up leaving a lattice print/shadow on our wood floors.

The other rug/carpet option I am obsessed with is Flor tiles. I have them in both of my kid's rooms, as three different runners and in the dining room. You can get the tiles cut in halves or quarters too. The best thing is that you can literally rinse/wash off each tile. My son threw up in his bedroom and I just picked up the 3 tiles that were soiled, rinsed them with a hose outside and let them dry and then put them back. So great. They have a 25% off sale twice/year and that's when I usually buy.

http://www.flor.com

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've probably bought about 5 rugs off overstock over the years. There was one that didn't work out, shed (a round rug that is now on our porch!) but the rest were nice and thick. They all did shed to varying degrees that went away after vacuming a few times. There is probably no rug that doesn't shed a little, unless it is an antique, very low pile rug. I also love wool. It is cushiony and just gets softer and softer over time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1438665853|3910870 said:
I can't attest to the wool rugs the others have mentioned, but I bought a 100% wool rug from Pottery barn for our living room and it shed like CRAZY. And it drove me CRAZY. My toddler was an infant at the time and when he'd crawl, wooly fibers would be all over his hands and of course they'd end up in his mouth b/c that's what infants do. They put everything including their hands in their mouth.

So, I gave it to my mom to put in her office and bought a regular soft carpet from a carpet store and had them cut it to the dimensions I wanted and they added a border around it so it became a large area rug. It's perfect. It's soft and exactly the dimensions I want and it doesn't shed, lol! I did buy the padding to go underneath to protect our wood floors. They just cut the pad to match the rug. It's a thicker padding than the lattice type which ended up leaving a lattice print/shadow on our wood floors.

The other rug/carpet option I am obsessed with is Flor tiles. I have them in both of my kid's rooms, as three different runners and in the dining room. You can get the tiles cut in halves or quarters too. The best thing is that you can literally rinse/wash off each tile. My son threw up in his bedroom and I just picked up the 3 tiles that were soiled, rinsed them with a hose outside and let them dry and then put them back. So great. They have a 25% off sale twice/year and that's when I usually buy.

I'm really into this!
I like the idea of if one gets ruined I can swap it out. Also, I like that I don't have to use a pad and it'll stick to the ground. I'm waiting for the "first time buyer %15 off" coupon email and I found some on sale I think will be perfect so I think it'll be a fair price

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
JDDN|1438665853|3910870 said:

I'm really into this!
I like the idea of if one gets ruined I can swap it out. Also, I like that I don't have to use a pad and it'll stick to the ground. I'm waiting for the "first time buyer %15 off" coupon email and I found some on sale I think will be perfect so I think it'll be a fair price

Awesome! Not to mention all the really cute and gorgeous patterns they have. Every time I look, I see something else that would look "perfect" in our house, lol.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Niel,

I like wool, as a natural fiber... but our luck with wool rugs has been that only the knotted kind have been up to par.

We had one that was not knotted, and boy did it shed, and it never stopped shedding!!!

I'm popping in because we've had a lot of kiddos on rugs, and we buy the 'memory foam' carpet padding, the kind they sell for if you were going to carpet a room, though, and my husband just cuts it to size for our area rugs. No matter which carpet we put it under, we've had thick shags from Costco and hand knotted wools and everything in between... it makes the carpet so much nicer for our babies and children to be on.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
apacherose|1438714658|3911082 said:
Hi Niel,

I like wool, as a natural fiber... but our luck with wool rugs has been that only the knotted kind have been up to par.

We had one that was not knotted, and boy did it shed, and it never stopped shedding!!!

I'm popping in because we've had a lot of kiddos on rugs, and we buy the 'memory foam' carpet padding, the kind they sell for if you were going to carpet a room, though, and my husband just cuts it to size for our area rugs. No matter which carpet we put it under, we've had thick shags from Costco and hand knotted wools and everything in between... it makes the carpet so much nicer for our babies and children to be on.

Mine is knotted too. I couldn't remember the term for it and I was trying to figure out why ours doesn't shed either.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have tj maxx/home goods? I got mine from the canadian equivalent (winners/homesense). A beautiful real wool fluffy style rug for $200. I saw similar ones in other stores but they were half the size and the same price. Keep in mind that they get new stock in regularly and each store (if you have multiple in the area) will not all get the same things. So some shopping around and checking back in will benefit you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I broke down got some flor ones. They were under my max, seemed easier to clean, won't scoot which I loathe and I don't have to get a pad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results