shape
carat
color
clarity

Rug advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
We are putting in hardwood floors all over our home and I need some rug advice. I love the look of good Orientals but the cheap ones look tacky (JMHO) and I don't have several thousand dollars per rug to spend. Maybe we can collect them over time. Does anyone know where to get good antique or used oriental rugs- this is one option. We live in Tampa, I did see some beautiful ones on ebay for local pickup, but that seems a little sketch. And the good ones are so expensive like THIS ONE I really don't know anything about good rugs vs. bad rugs, I don't like to shop as an uneducated consumer! any good resources to start would be nice!

Otherwise, I am looking at these rugs from Pottery Barn

img29l.jpg

The wide border sisal rugs- linky
What is the quality like? they are kind of boring, but boring can be good. :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I just don't "get" spending a lot of money on something you walk on. I just don't get it. I purchased a replica aubusson on ebay for about $700 a few years ago and it's beautiful. I also adore a pottery barn rug I got for a few hundred.
My other area rugs are straight out of Home Depot. Great quality wool rugs that look like sisal and which I had bound. Ebay is a great place to look. And go to antique shops....When you're dealing with antique rugs, I can't help you...know nothing about them...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh I LOVE a nice oriental rug!!! We''ve got them all over our house and even have some extras in storage right now because we moved out of open loft space where we had a lot more floor area to cover into the place that we''re in now. I do understand though about the price because a good one can be many thousands of dollars.

As for ordering off of e-bay or the internet... I tried it one time. I ordered a rug from rugman.com. It was very reasonably priced (although it took a lot longer to get than they said) but the color was way different than it appeared on my computer. That''s probably not a Rugman problem though, it''s probably my computer! Anyway, it was kind of a pain to ship it back and it cost me about $100. So, long story short, I don''t really recommend that.

Let me make a couple of suggestions though.
- Do you have an Ikea near you? I''m sure that sounds ridiculous but they do carry some decent rugs at very good prices. We got a beautiful gold and olive green 9 X 12 from there about 5 years ago for under $1,000.
- How ''bout Costco? Every couple of months they have oriental rug events and they are priced pretty good.
- Expo has a ton of them too and their prices are reasonable.

The nice thing about getting it from Ikea, Costco or Expo is that if you get it home and it doesn''t look right or it''s too big/smaller, or whatever, you can just take it back.

Finally, one thing about machine made rugs. Some of them have tassels on the ends that make them look hand done, so if you find one with colors and a pattern that you like that might not be a bad idea.

Let us know what you get--next too a good diamond there''s nothing I love more than a nice rug!

skayum

Rough_Rock
$45000 is too expensive, but I guess thats because its a huge rug, but still I travel to the middle east and I can tell you for a FACT you could find a rug like that with a price 5 times less. Handmade ones are usually real expensive since theyre the best quality they last long and could always be sold back if taken good care of. You can check this site out new rug site its for a friend who is selling rugs from the middle east, she is located in GA. She is not trying to make a huge profit with the rugs. The rugs are good quality, hand made, silk and cheaper than most oriental rugs in the US. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results