shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Sidestones w/ what color Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I find that sapphire sidestones make a slightly tinted diamond appear whiter. Do rubies do have the same effect? Or would the red contribute to the tint?

What would be the lowest color recommended for a center stone with ruby sides, for a person who is kind of sensitive to color?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you are sensitive Id say stay above an H

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I'm fine with a G, but I was hoping rubies might make it look whiter... *wishful thinking*

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure, but I would imagine that rubies would warm up the color of a neighbouring diamond, especially if the ruby is set in a gold basket. So if you want a really white diamond, you may be best going with a near colorless diamond making sure the diamond is set in platinum. Yummy.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Here is one from Faycullen.com Is this what your thinking?
naughty.gif

1115m5dr_lg2.jpg

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
no, i was thinking of an RB center(~1ct)set in 6-prongs, with round ruby accent sides(~.40 each)set in 3 prongs. the prongs for the sides will scoop outward towards the cathrdral shanks, with pave down the sides 2/3 of the way.

I dont want the 3-stone look (both sides= center)and i know rubies are more dense than diamonds, so that ratio should be about right.

what do you think?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion but I think rubies look best with whiter stones (F,G). I ahve a ruby ring with smaller diamonds but they are F color.
21.gif

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking G would probably be the lowest color too. I have a .60ct ideal D diamond with .5 ctw ruby sides and I love it so much that I want another one, but i didn't want to drop so much money on another D stone. I was hoping that i can get away with a less tinted color, but no luck.
8.gif

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Here is on with a O color....
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

ruby with O.jpg

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
This brought to mind old make-up tricks- to make red/bloodshot eyes appear whiter, put some shade of blue next to them- blue neutralizes many colors- especially red/orange/yellow because they are dexactly opposite each other on the color wheel. Red (or with most rubies deep pinks/magentas) are close to yellow and orange, so would generally 'warm' those colors up, and make them more noticeable. I would go with a higher color grade if possible if I was going to pair my diamond with rubies. Or, accept the color, make it work for you and go for something like that O pictred above and let the rubies enhance the natural color.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Red lipstick makes teeth appear whiter so I bet rubies with have the same effect on diamonds.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
yes- a true blue red would make teeth whiter, but shades of pink make them yellower...., so I guess if you got very true red rubies it would make a difference.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So I guess it will depend if the diamond has blue tones or not.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
There you go! The perfect match, a 'lower' color G,H,I (calling it 'lower' but knowing that many people have beautiful white facing stones of those colors or lower if well cut), but with maybe medium flourescence! That would naturally offset the underlying yellow tones in the diamond, then the side stones would not really affect it at all! Good idea innerkitten!

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
hmm... GREAT IDEAS!! I forgot that one of my .90ct diamonds is G colored w/ med blue flourescence. I held it up to my rubies, and they look great! The color difference between the .90ct G w/ med flour. and .50ct D is almost indistinguishable, so it'll be perfect with the rubies. Too bad that one's already in a setting I love, so onto my search for another perfect G w/ flourescence!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2004 3:05:25 PM Icicles wrote:

hmm... GREAT IDEAS!! I forgot that one of my .90ct diamonds is G colored w/ med blue flourescence. I held it up to my rubies, and they look great! The color difference between the .90ct G w/ med flour. and .50ct D is almost indistinguishable, so it'll be perfect with the rubies. Too bad that one's already in a setting I love, so onto my search for another perfect G w/ flourescence!----------------

I don't know what size you want, but I was just looking at Wink's inventory and there's a .67 G w/ strong blue fluor... he's described it to me before and it sounds VERY cool!
3.gif

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
I already have a .60 ct w/ ruby sides that i love, but i wanted a bigger center, so i was thinking .85-.90? No bigger than 1ct, since i have a 1.20ct that i never wear because it feels too big on me. I normally wear a .90, and my finger is size 3.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
After all this talk I want one too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results