shape
carat
color
clarity

rose gold setting for diamond pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a little diamond today. It''s a J SI1 AGS0 Ideal. It measures 4.36 x 4.41 x 2.69 mm so faces up well for a diamond that size.

when I first thought of ordering a 1/3 carat sized diamond, i was thinking of putting it into an antique style white gold filigree ring. (This woiuld be a RHR and not one I would wear everyday). But then I thought that I might like a petite pendant. One of my grandmothers gave me an old gold tooth of hers ''to make jewelry with'' about 30 years ago. I''ve kept the tooth all this time and haven''t made anything with it. But now I know of a jeweler who does in-house work and would do this and it seems like the right time. The tooth is, I assume 16K (that''s what dental gold usually is anyway) and its rose gold. If I make the pendant, I think I would like the jeweler to make the pendant in rose gold, as this would remind me of my grandmother (who always wore rose gold anyway. all the heirloom jewelry from my family is rose gold, as this is the only gold they made in my native country traditionally, though now it has changed and they don''t do traditonal jewelry anynmore and only do yellow gold.

My question would be, will a diamond pendant look strange in rose gold? Especially a low color like J? I know it won''t match my earrings, which are in white gold, but I was thinking I wouldn''t be able to wear pendant and earrings together anyway as the earrings are quite large, just under 2 ctw. Also, they are H VS2 so they are going to be somewhat whiter. I don''t really care about rules for what size jewelry to wear with what other size, as I continue to wear my .30 carat engagement ring (H /VS in YG), my .65 solitaire anniversary ring (F/SI in plat) with my earrings that are so much larger. I also wear every day a thick rose gold bangle (from other grandmother) so I''m mixed up pretty well. However, a pendant is going to be so close to the earrings that I wonder if it will look strange, especially with the variation in size. I always figure that my hands are far away from my ears, and that I''m doing well because I keep all the gold jewelry on one hand and all the white jewelry on the other KWIM?

Would be interested in your opinions.

P.S. I would not ever upgrade the pendant, if that''s what I end up creating. I don''t have an upgrade type of personality, no offense to those who do, so this would be it.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Are you saying that you want to use the tooth to make the pendant, or are you saying that you want to use something LIKE the tooth to make the pendant? Either way, you''ve got a unique situation! Just wanted to clarify so we can better answer your question

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I want the jeweller to use the actual tooth, that is, to melt it down and make a pendant out of it.
The tooth is red gold, probably 16K.
This particular jeweller will use your gold to make jewelry for you so that part is not a problem.
The questions are: Do you think rose gold will look okay to make a setting for a .31 diamond (J color)?
Or will it look strange?
And (I think I know the answer to this) will such a pendant look very mismatched worn with much larger diamond studs (1.81 ctw) which are set in white gold, either due to color of gold or size?
Sorry I was unclear and thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S. the rose gold is quite dark, maybe I should call it red gold, though it definitely looks like gold, not copper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results